: Going to pull trigger. Need info on insurance and tires in wet

neuronbob
03-11-09, 12:26 AM
I have decided to pull the trigger now instead of waiting for 2010. I am planning on putting down a deposit this week with my chosen dealer. With some of the deals available, how can I wait? I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and hope that GM survives. In the meantime, I'm still doing my due diligence.

First question: What is real world mileage in non-aggressive, commuting-style driving? With my current car, mixed 50-50 city-freeway driving, I am getting 16-18 mpg. On an extended freeway trip, I can get as much as 26 mpg. The mileage doesn't bother me that much, but I just want to fully understand what I'm getting into.

Second question: What are people paying for insurance on this brand new model? My situation is that I'm married, "old" (40), live in a "good" ZIP, and have multipolicy discounts.

Third question: What is the performance of the stock tires (Pilots) in wet weather? It rains buckets in the spring and fall here in Cleveland. Has anyone switched to all-season rubber like the Eagle F1 A/S for example? I plan on purchasing another set of wheels with cold weather/snow tires for use from November-March.

Thank you so much and this forum has played a big role in helping me decide to buy this "dream car".

SLPR 6.0L
03-11-09, 12:48 AM
Dont plan on GM surviving! I plan on dumping my 06 as soon as they file, and going low milage 07 or 09. buying a 3XXX mile car will save about 25 to 30%. Not sure how bankrupcy will effect warrany. I would in no way own one of these cars without a warranty. Not sure if you are interested, but there is an 07 with 2 to 3K on autotrader for $32K

neuronbob
03-11-09, 01:03 AM
Thanks for your opinion, but I've already accepted what is going on at GM. I'm pretty sure the lights aren't going to go out even if they are in Chapter 11. I just want a few other questions answered. Thanks!

rocketeer
03-11-09, 01:27 AM
I just finished my first tankful at 18.5 same type of commute you mentioned. I havent really gotten into it yet either but i havent babied it either.
I havent driven in the rain so i can't comment on that aspect
I havent received a bill yet from insurance but my 05 with full coverage and 100 deductible was 100 a month. I don't expect much difference.
I too decided to pull the trigger last weekend as I really liked the black on titanium. i am not worried about GM, they will still be making cars in Ch 11. if they make fewer of them maybe the value will hold a bit.

Hope this helps

62Jeff
03-11-09, 01:47 AM
Fuel - I have 400 miles on my car, so it isn't broken in yet - meaning I'm driving it carefully but also the engine is tight. I'm averaging 9.9 MPG on my 3 mile commute to the office all week. I get around 12 MPG if half the tank is spent on the freeway cruising to Galveston for a day, and the other half in that 3 mile commute all week.

This weekend I set the cruise at 55 MPH and watched the "instant" mileage on the computer. I was averaging 22 MPG on level road with the cruise set over a 2 mile stretch of road. My 07 vette averages 35+ MPG under the same conditions.

Your insurance company should be able to tell you what they would charge you, you may have to give them a VIN in order to get the estimate. I gave them a VIN from Autotrader just so my agent could complete a quote. It's about the same as my vette

GMX322V S/C
03-11-09, 02:26 AM
I've put on a little over 2600 miles since the end of Dec. Ave MPG was around 12 for the first month; right now it's at 16 even. Jump on it all the time and instantaneous MPG plummets--I've also seen a steady 4 MPG while climbing a long grade at a pretty good clip. I pay around 80 a month for ins.

Hawkeye2
03-11-09, 06:11 AM
In the worst case and GM folds, the warranty is backed by the Federal Government.

NormV
03-11-09, 07:05 AM
I'd look for state minimum coverage and umbrella coverage like a house or business over that.

GM has slightly less cash than GM and plenty coming in from other countries. It does pay to globalize when your interest effects others. More details will arise in April but they need to cry wolf(bankruptcy) until next year to shake the dealership base which is one of thei biggest cost they can't just take the scissors to when trimming. The time will be needed as we wait for economy to turn around.

Norm

chris1268
03-11-09, 12:09 PM
I have about 2000 miles now and all city driving has been netting 12-14 mpg. I can however get under 10 mpg if playing. I have not taken any long highway trips yet to decide highway miles but think the other posts are reasonable on this.

Insurance is at 550/mo with much similar situation to yours.

I have had no issue with the stock tires on wet pavement as long as the temp is above 40 degrees. Anything under that temp and the car has a hard time staying straight with much acceleration.

M5eatr
03-11-09, 01:19 PM
Agree with all the above posts, although I only have about 150 miles on it. But I haven't babied it by any means. Stabiltrac and traction control are your friends. Get on it without them, and you will spin in the wet. Otherwise, for "normal horseplay" not "jackass horseplay" you should be fine with the stock tires. They do however seem better in the wet than the F1's that were on the V1. But the F1's only lasted 7k miles. I don't know how long these will last but I bought the tire insurance from the dealer for 5 years and with a "wink" looks like they will replace them for me. I may have to go in once a week for a month and tell them "Darn crub keeps getting my tires. @#!^% wife has to stop driving the car."

neuronbob
03-11-09, 01:46 PM
^^^^^ LOL!

Thanks for the answers, they are really helpful. I was kinda hoping to hear Corvette-type mileage after break-in, but at 4300 pounds for the auto version, the V is way too heavy for that. Where is all the weight, anyway? :)

Seriously, though, I can live with 16 mpg with my driving style after break-in, I already do that in my current car as I stated above.

One other question. How much does the supercharger whine bother you in day-to-day, non-aggressive driving?

M5eatr
03-11-09, 01:58 PM
^^^^^ LOL!

Thanks for the answers, they are really helpful. I was kinda hoping to hear Corvette-type mileage after break-in, but at 4300 pounds for the auto version, the V is way too heavy for that. Where is all the weight, anyway? :)

Seriously, though, I can live with 16 mpg with my driving style after break-in, I already do that in my current car as I stated above.

One other question. How much does the supercharger whine bother you in day-to-day, non-aggressive driving?

The whine is barely noticeable and doesn't start to produce pressure unless you get on it. When you jump on it though, it spools up quick and then the car just takes off, but I usually have like Metallica or AC/DC playing so I don't hear any whine.

Luna.
03-11-09, 02:43 PM
I have decided to pull the trigger now instead of waiting for 2010. I am planning on putting down a deposit this week with my chosen dealer. With some of the deals available, how can I wait? I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and hope that GM survives. In the meantime, I'm still doing my due diligence.

First question: What is real world mileage in non-aggressive, commuting-style driving? With my current car, mixed 50-50 city-freeway driving, I am getting 16-18 mpg. On an extended freeway trip, I can get as much as 26 mpg. The mileage doesn't bother me that much, but I just want to fully understand what I'm getting into.

Second question: What are people paying for insurance on this brand new model? My situation is that I'm married, "old" (40), live in a "good" ZIP, and have multipolicy discounts.

Third question: What is the performance of the stock tires (Pilots) in wet weather? It rains buckets in the spring and fall here in Cleveland. Has anyone switched to all-season rubber like the Eagle F1 A/S for example? I plan on purchasing another set of wheels with cold weather/snow tires for use from November-March.

Thank you so much and this forum has played a big role in helping me decide to buy this "dream car".

MPG for me has been ~14 average per tank and that's WITHOUT beating the turd out of it. I can easily get much, much worse. Gas mileage on this thing is atrocious... but we don't purchase this car for MPG...

I'd have to look up my insurance rates, but it's nothing too egregious.

As far as wet grip, can't say---haven't driven it in the wet too much.

Dont plan on GM surviving! I plan on dumping my 06 as soon as they file, and going low milage 07 or 09. buying a 3XXX mile car will save about 25 to 30%. Not sure how bankrupcy will effect warrany. I would in no way own one of these cars without a warranty. Not sure if you are interested, but there is an 07 with 2 to 3K on autotrader for $32K

Give me a break... :cookoo:

I have about 2000 miles now and all city driving has been netting 12-14 mpg. I can however get under 10 mpg if playing. I have not taken any long highway trips yet to decide highway miles but think the other posts are reasonable on this.

Insurance is at 550/mo with much similar situation to yours.

I have had no issue with the stock tires on wet pavement as long as the temp is above 40 degrees. Anything under that temp and the car has a hard time staying straight with much acceleration.

I get similar MPG as you do, but am I reading your insurance rates right? $550 per month? Ummm--that would be prohibitively expensive in my mind.

colbachlaw
03-11-09, 03:14 PM
$550 a month must be wrong, or you are 16 and have two vehicular manslaughters and 5 DUII's.

I deal with bad accident and insurance companies daily (I am an ambulance chaser). Get more insurance than you think you need. Insurance is not for the guy you hit, but for the guy with no insurance who hits you. If you have less than a million bucks, you are way underinsured.

I have never seen a client who wished they had less insurance, but I have talked to thousands of people who wish they had more.

Mike C

NormV
03-11-09, 03:24 PM
Like Mike said, $3 million umbrella is good.

Norm

$550 a month must be wrong, or you are 16 and have two vehicular manslaughters and 5 DUII's.

I deal with bad accident and insurance companies daily (I am an ambulance chaser). Get more insurance than you think you need. Insurance is not for the guy you hit, but for the guy with no insurance who hits you. If you have less than a million bucks, you are way underinsured.

I have never seen a client who wished they had less insurance, but I have talked to thousands of people who wish they had more.

Mike C

chris1268
03-11-09, 04:00 PM
MPG for me has been ~14 average per tank and that's WITHOUT beating the turd out of it. I can easily get much, much worse. Gas mileage on this thing is atrocious... but we don't purchase this car for MPG...

I'd have to look up my insurance rates, but it's nothing too egregious.

As far as wet grip, can't say---haven't driven it in the wet too much.

Give me a break... :cookoo:

I get similar MPG as you do, but am I reading your insurance rates right? $550 per month? Ummm--that would be prohibitively expensive in my mind.

Sorry - meant every 6 months.............

M5eatr
03-11-09, 04:00 PM
Like Mike said, $3 million umbrella is good.

Norm

Why? so the ambulance chasers have more to feed on. No we need tort reform, not more insurance so there is more for them to leach off of.

colbachlaw
03-11-09, 04:27 PM
M5Seater,

I am sorry you missed the point.

The whole point in getting an umbrella policy is for the uninsured motorist coverage so when you are made a paraplegic by a drunk driver with no insurance, there is enough money to feed your family and pay your medical bills.

I have talked to way too many people who have lost use or their arms or legs and can no longer work and there is no insurance coverage to pay their medical bills and wage loss.

I hope it never happens to you, but if it does, you had better have enough insurance.

Tort reform is great if you don't want people and companies to be held accountable for their actions and you don't care about their victims. It is not too good if you believe people should be held responsible for their actions. There are plenty of countries, like China and North Korea, who agree with tort reform and don't believe in the jury system. They may be more to your liking than the the US and I am sure their insurance rates are cheaper.

Mike C

jvp
03-11-09, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the answers, they are really helpful. I was kinda hoping to hear Corvette-type mileage after break-in, but at 4300 pounds for the auto version, the V is way too heavy for that. Where is all the weight, anyway?

Unfortunately, you'll never see Corvette-type mileage on the V, but that has almost nothing to do with its mass. At least, when comparing highway mileage, mass plays very little with the numbers. On the highway, engine RPMs and aero drag are what kill you. And the V is fairly bad in both departments.

Even in 6th gear, the V is turning some very high RPMs at 65MPH. Not like our Corvettes at all. The reason for that is the gearing. The automatic has shorter gears with a taller rear end. The manual is the opposite, with taller gears and a fairly short (3.83) rear end. Both combine to make for ~2000RPM cruising RPMs at highway speeds. Not the 1500RPMs that we're used to with the Corvette.

There are other computer tuning bits that come into play, as well. But, the vast majority of the fuel that's burned on the highway is due to the engine's RPMs.

jas

neuronbob
03-11-09, 06:51 PM
^^^^

Thanks for the clarification! Always happy to learn. :D
An interesting aside: I own a Honda S2000. That car's engine spins at 4k rpm at cruising speed on the freeway in 6th gear. Now THAT's high RPM. Still manages 26 mpg on the freeway, though, but then again it's only a four-banger and very aerodynamic with the top up. Fun as heck to drive, too.

From the other posts, it sounds like no one is regretting their purchase. My garage with a torque monster (V2) and a high-revver (S2000) will be a dream come true.

And, pretty please, keep the politics out of my thread. :) I just want to hear about V2 goodness here.

Luna.
03-11-09, 07:28 PM
Unfortunately, you'll never see Corvette-type mileage on the V, but that has almost nothing to do with its mass. At least, when comparing highway mileage, mass plays very little with the numbers. On the highway, engine RPMs and aero drag are what kill you. And the V is fairly bad in both departments.

Even in 6th gear, the V is turning some very high RPMs at 65MPH. Not like our Corvettes at all. The reason for that is the gearing. The automatic has shorter gears with a taller rear end. The manual is the opposite, with taller gears and a fairly short (3.83) rear end. Both combine to make for ~2000RPM cruising RPMs at highway speeds. Not the 1500RPMs that we're used to with the Corvette.

There are other computer tuning bits that come into play, as well. But, the vast majority of the fuel that's burned on the highway is due to the engine's RPMs.

jas

500 RPM has *that* much of an impact? Really?

Wow...very interesting.

jvp
03-11-09, 07:42 PM
500 RPM has *that* much of an impact? Really?

Wow...very interesting.

100RPMs can have *THAT* much of an impact. Really.

jas

Richie18
03-11-09, 08:13 PM

jas

This is not necessarily true, i can get 6 mpg in a corvette in sixth gear going 70 mph at 2000rpm, at the same time i can get 26mpg in sixth gear going 70mph at 2000rpm.

It has much more to do with engine load, if your engine is not loaded, (your not accelerating very hard) your not sucking in air, therefore you are not using fuel. So your emphasis that mpg's has that much to do with rpm's is a big assumption. So many other factors come into play for the reason why a Z06 gets better mpg's on the highway than the V2.

Engine's typically cruise at approximately their peak torque range, that allows the engine to deliver plenty of power and not have to be at a high load (not dumping a lot of fuel in the engine).

So in the end my point is your could have the vette engine cruise at 1500 or 2000 rpm, it really comes down to how much load/torque you need to keep the vehicle at a constant speed. If you have to have the throttle half way down at 1500rpm you have not saved any fuel by using a higher final(tranny ratio x rear end ratio) gear ratio, luckily the z06 has a 7.0L engine and it makes enough torque that this is not the case.

wahala
03-12-09, 02:59 PM
My insurance quoted 475 every 6 months, lower than normal due to multiple cars (too too many) good driving record and also house insurance under them.

I didn't have to give a VIN only model.

Good luck

neuronbob
03-12-09, 08:15 PM
That insurance is insanely cheap, much less expensive than I was expecting. With my stats, I should be able to get the same.

I haven't been this excited about a potential car purchase in YEARS. I mean, I'm losing sleep thinking about this! How bizarre to think that way over a material thing. I also have never spent this much on a car before and while I can afford it almost too easily, I've been a cheapster in the past. I just can't get this car off my mind, though, even with the atrocious mileage....and the deals from our sponsoring dealers are too good to pass up....

Another question: Has anyone done a backup camera mod? I have one in my current car and with a 2-year-old, it might make a good safety item.

NormV
03-13-09, 07:27 AM
not sure what country you drive in but you can't cruise in 6th gear at peak torque in a Vette or V legally here. Your theories are skewed as my C5 gets 10.5 mpg @ 70 mph under full throttle. After about 40 mph where aero plays the biggest roll in a V or Vette. Keep it around 1300-1600 rpms for best efficiency, not peak torque.

Norm

This is not necessarily true, i can get 6 mpg in a corvette in sixth gear going 70 mph at 2000rpm, at the same time i can get 26mpg in sixth gear going 70mph at 2000rpm.

It has much more to do with engine load, if your engine is not loaded, (your not accelerating very hard) your not sucking in air, therefore you are not using fuel. So your emphasis that mpg's has that much to do with rpm's is a big assumption. So many other factors come into play for the reason why a Z06 gets better mpg's on the highway than the V2.

Engine's typically cruise at approximately their peak torque range, that allows the engine to deliver plenty of power and not have to be at a high load (not dumping a lot of fuel in the engine).

So in the end my point is your could have the vette engine cruise at 1500 or 2000 rpm, it really comes down to how much load/torque you need to keep the vehicle at a constant speed. If you have to have the throttle half way down at 1500rpm you have not saved any fuel by using a higher final(tranny ratio x rear end ratio) gear ratio, luckily the z06 has a 7.0L engine and it makes enough torque that this is not the case.

Richie18
03-13-09, 11:02 AM
I didn't say the Vette was cruising at peak torque, it is obviously an exception to the rule with a 7.0L engine, it makes more torque just off idle than most cars do at peak torque.

That's what i said when i said this,

If you have to have the throttle half way down at 1500rpm you have not saved any fuel by using a higher final(tranny ratio x rear end ratio) gear ratio, luckily the z06 has a 7.0L engine and it makes enough torque that this is not the case.

jvp
03-13-09, 11:23 AM
I didn't say the Vette was cruising at peak torque, it is obviously an exception to the rule with a 7.0L engine, it makes more torque just off idle than most cars do at peak torque.

But nowhere in your post did you actually contradict anything I said. Remember, my post said this:

On the highway, engine RPMs and aero drag are what kill you. And the V is fairly bad in both departments.

and this:

the vast majority of the fuel that's burned on the highway is due to the engine's RPMs.

Is it possible to burn more fuel because your throttle position is 50%? Sure. Is that going to happen in the vast majority of the vehicles out there? No.

My statement stands (and can easily be confirmed by playing around with various engine speeds on the highway) - The MAJORITY of your mileage will be impacted by cruising RPMs and aero. All other things being equal.

Want to test it? Set your cruise to 55MPH and drive for 5 miles. Not the computer's read out of MPG. Now inch the cruise up 5MPH to 60. Drive another 5 miles. Note the MPG. Another 5MPH to 65, and check again. I promise you that you'll see a drop in MPG as the speed increases. This is MAINLY due to engine RPMs and aero drag working against the vehicle.

jas

Richie18
03-13-09, 11:35 AM
The reason for the increase in MPGs as you increase speed is definitely because of Aero drag, not necessarily is it the rpm location. My point was just because the engine is spinning at 2500 rpm does not mean you're using a lot of fuel.

My other point was you can use the same amount of fuel at 2000 rpm, as at 2500rpm, this again based on the fact that you need a specific amount of torque to overcome the drag force. Think of it this scenario

You're climbing a hill at 70mph, your cruise rpms are 1800rpm, by your reasoning you would use less fuel by leaving the car in sixth gear to lug the engine up the hill. That is simply not true, you will still need the same amount of fuel necessary to produce the torque required to climb the hill. By doing this at a lower gear, 5th say, you can produce more torque at a higher rpm but require the same fuel because of the gearing involved and the lower "load" the engine would be under.

This also the same reason why some high performance cars can only hit their top speed in 5th gear, and not 6th gear. The torque required to overcome the drag force just isn't there in 6th gear.

NormV
03-13-09, 01:07 PM
So mean GM could of saved billions if they would of just deleted a the 6th gear? Makes sense to me...yeah right! :)

Are you coming from 4-cylinder land? GM engines don't lug @ 1800 rpms. My C5 purrs @ 1300 rpms for 60 mph and 36 mpg. Wonder what it would get if I cruised in 3rd @ 60 mph?

Norm

The reason for the increase in MPGs as you increase speed is definitely because of Aero drag, not necessarily is it the rpm location. My point was just because the engine is spinning at 2500 rpm does not mean you're using a lot of fuel.

My other point was you can use the same amount of fuel at 2000 rpm, as at 2500rpm, this again based on the fact that you need a specific amount of torque to overcome the drag force. Think of it this scenario

You're climbing a hill at 70mph, your cruise rpms are 1800rpm, by your reasoning you would use less fuel by leaving the car in sixth gear to lug the engine up the hill. That is simply not true, you will still need the same amount of fuel necessary to produce the torque required to climb the hill. By doing this at a lower gear, 5th say, you can produce more torque at a higher rpm but require the same fuel because of the gearing involved and the lower "load" the engine would be under.

This also the same reason why some high performance cars can only hit their top speed in 5th gear, and not 6th gear. The torque required to overcome the drag force just isn't there in 6th gear.

Hogg
03-14-09, 09:59 PM
I'm pretty sure the ZR1 is the 1st Vette to actually pull its top speed in 6th gear, instead of 5th like the ZO6 nad others.

peace
Hog

neuronbob
03-15-09, 12:25 AM
Thanks, guys. Going to order on Monday, will officially pull the trigger. I can hardly wait! :drool: