: Has anyone removed the headlights?

Caddy Man
03-10-09, 07:20 PM
I just bought a used left headlight for my 2005 STS. The plastic tab that protrudes from the bottom of the light was broken upon arrival. I am now wondering whether to ask for a refund, or if the light will be held securely in place with the remaining 3 tabs (on on the top left, another at the top left, and one at the bottom left.)

I don't want to take apart the car just to find the headlight will wobble when in place.

I have attached a picture of where the broken tab is.

If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

pgw85706
03-10-09, 09:13 PM
You need the tab, I would ask for an exchange or refund. I just replaced my bulbs last Friday and removed the headlamp. That broken tab helps to position the lamp assembly for proper beam alignment. Also suggest you install all new bulbs as part of the lamp unit install.

Caddy Man
03-10-09, 09:29 PM
You need the tab, I would ask for an exchange or refund. I just replaced my bulbs last Friday and removed the headlamp. That broken tab helps to position the lamp assembly for proper beam alignment. Also suggest you install all new bulbs as part of the lamp unit install.

Thank for the response. I will be going ahead and contacting the seller.

Regulator
03-10-09, 10:16 PM
The reason that every STS headlight on Ebay has broken tabs is because it takes so long to remove them. Check them out....90% of them have at least one broken tab.

jr black 214
03-11-09, 05:48 AM
i just bought some HID headlight assemblies off ebay, if i take the non-xenon ones off my car now, is it just a "unplug the connector off the old one, then put it on the new headlight" swap or do i have to do something special?

ifmracin
03-11-09, 05:09 PM
i just bought some HID headlight assemblies off ebay, if i take the non-xenon ones off my car now, is it just a "unplug the connector off the old one, then put it on the new headlight" swap or do i have to do something special?

I'm pretty sure you're going to need more that just the housings.
HID's run at a different voltage. (not sure if they also have external igniters?)

AllGoNShow
03-12-09, 11:24 AM
Not sure how the OEM STS HID's work but yes, the HID housing is actually probably the same as your Halogen housing *same as mine*. It's the bulb, ballast, ignitor that are different normally *BMW, benz, Lexus, etc..*

ifmracin
03-12-09, 11:47 AM
Yeah, I've heard that the housings are actually the same.

AllGoNShow
03-12-09, 11:54 AM
Just confirmed via GM parts direct.

Headlight HOUSING is the same. Headlight housing could include an igntior, etc.. inside the housing or attached to the housing that would be different but the housing itself is the same.