: Rear Main Seal Install

spin
03-10-09, 03:32 PM
New to the Cadillac scene. I just bought a 1999 Seville STS with a bad head gasket. I've got the motor out of the car (removed from below) and taken apart. While its out I was going to replace some gaskets (oil pan and rear main).

I see that you are suppose to use tool J-45930-A to install the rear main seal, and also use the GM sealant. Do you have to use the tool to install the seal? Can it be done differently?

Also on the Fel-pro head gasket set that I bought it did not include the gasket for the timing cover. Is this gasket reusable? I had them order a front seal set hoping it comes with that. If it doesn't I won't buy it.

Thanks for the help.

spin
03-11-09, 10:35 AM
Just found the rear main seal tool for used for $50:D. Guess that takes care of that problem.

zonie77
03-11-09, 11:28 AM
Most of the seals are reusable but I replaced a lot as they are over 10 years old and the rubber is getting hard. I'd rather replace them now than have an annoying leak because the gasket didn't conform properly.

tateos
03-11-09, 12:04 PM
There are two different rear mains seals and two different installers. The original seal was a lip type seal and prone to leakage after awhile - my original was leaking like crazy when I did my '97 ETC HG project. The new style seal is a 2 piece cartridge style - not sure when they switched over to that in production, but that is now the standard replacement style. The new style requires a special installer since it is pressed onto both the crankshaft flange and the block. I bought mine direct from SPX - the part # is J-45930-A and I paid $262.94 for it in 1/08. if you use the old style installer, you will ruin the seal. When I did mine, I did not use the sealant, and I have been leak free.

I think the front cover gasket can probably be re-used, but I bought the Fel-Pro head set and conversion set and both the gasket and front crankshaft seal were included, so I replaced them both, even though neither was leaking.

spin
03-11-09, 02:17 PM
The rear main seal I got is from National Seal. I believe it is the cartridge type, but I didn't think it was a two piece. Maybe it is the old style of seal. If it is I'll return it and get the correct one. I asked for a seal from Fel-pro because I knew it was a cartridge style, but this store couldn't et it. I just assumed the seal from National was a cartridge style.

tateos
03-11-09, 02:24 PM
With the cartridge style, there is no rubber lip on the crankshaft side/the smaller diameter - there is a steel sleeve that is pressed onto the crankshaft flange, and the other sleeve is pressed into the block recess. Put another way, if you have the cartridge type, you can hold the inner or outer flange and rotate the other flange, because it is 2 pieces.

You found the J-45930-A used for $50? You did very well - l looked on e-bay and online everywhere and never found it for less than what I paid direct from SPX.

Oh, here it is - yes that is the right tool - congratulations! It should come with two sets of bolts use to engage the crankshaft flange - two different sizes

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KENT-MOORE-PREMIUM-V8-REAR-MAIN-SEAL-INSTALLER_W0QQitemZ200317933110QQcmdZViewItemQQims xZ20090309?IMSfp=TL090309125005r14373

spin
03-11-09, 03:05 PM
The National Seal I got is a lip style seal. I will be taking it back and getting the correct one. I assume the Fel-pro seal is a cartridge style, or do I need to get it from a dealer?

tateos
03-12-09, 12:59 PM
The National Seal I got is a lip style seal. I will be taking it back and getting the correct one. I assume the Fel-pro seal is a cartridge style, or do I need to get it from a dealer?

The cartridge style came in my Felpro conversion set

AJxtcman
03-12-09, 06:13 PM
New to the Cadillac scene. I just bought a 1999 Seville STS with a bad head gasket. I've got the motor out of the car (removed from below) and taken apart. While its out I was going to replace some gaskets (oil pan and rear main).

I see that you are suppose to use tool J-45930-A to install the rear main seal, and also use the GM sealant. Do you have to use the tool to install the seal? Can it be done differently?

Also on the Fel-pro head gasket set that I bought it did not include the gasket for the timing cover. Is this gasket reusable? I had them order a front seal set hoping it comes with that. If it doesn't I won't buy it.

Thanks for the help.

did you try a search?

AJxtcman
03-12-09, 06:18 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-tech-tips/117232-case-halves-reseal-fwd-rtv-sealant.html