: Diff leak..Got pics... need some help..

Cowan480
03-10-09, 02:41 PM
Ok guys the cadi I sold has a new leak in the diff/or somewhere around it. (someone has been told/warned not to spin the tires, but some people just don't listen) Not sure what the problem is but likely just some type of seal and maybe missing bolt??

Thanks for the help!!

heavymetals
03-10-09, 02:46 PM
Looks like the pinion seal to me and a scrapped up bottom of the diff.

Cadillac Tony
03-10-09, 03:05 PM
Looks like a pinion seal to me, but might also be the vent on the top driver's side overflowing and seeping down the case.

There's a bulletin for the vent issue where the Dealer installs an overflow hose, and there's a recall on the pinion seal for VINs before a certain breakpoint.

lollygagger8
03-10-09, 03:28 PM
Pinion Seal fo sho.

If it was the vent, fluid would come out the back drivers side.

MauiV
03-10-09, 03:37 PM
My pinion seal wasnt in the recall but I did get it replaced because of a "leak".

lollygagger8
03-10-09, 03:46 PM
I had to pay for my updated pinion and seal since I was out of warranty

UnsafeAtAnySpd
03-10-09, 04:00 PM

How much did that run you, if you don't mind saying?

Cowan480
03-10-09, 04:02 PM
Whats the process to fix the pinion seal??

Thanks!!

lollygagger8
03-10-09, 04:13 PM
Weird...I have the receipt right here....

Parts were $212.23 plus tax / labor was $90 (one hour) = roughly $300

But I got a slight deal, cuz they were total morons and made me go in there like 3 times cuz "they didn't have the right parts"

They use a weird tool or something, and I know for sure there's some unusually high amount of torque associated with tightening it down. I was afraid to do it myself for fear of that and screwing it up. Maybe Ewill can shed some more light on this.

darkman
03-10-09, 04:23 PM
Whats the process to fix the pinion seal??

Thanks!!

If your covered by the recall it does not matter whether you are under warranty.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
03-10-09, 05:13 PM
So '04s aren't covered?

AlmostAV
03-10-09, 05:23 PM
why are you worried about a car you sold....of course unless you offered a warranty, or its a friend?

I guess your just a good businessman. GLWS

darkman
03-10-09, 05:41 PM
So '04s aren't covered?

All units were not covered. My recollection is that the problem was caused by a set of defective seals from a third-party supplier that was not installed in every unit - hence the VIN ranges in the recall.

CTSV_510
03-10-09, 05:52 PM
I had that issue on mine right when I bought it. It looks like these guys have pretty much summed it up for you already...

ewill3rd
03-11-09, 09:08 AM
That is a classic pinion seal leak.

To fix it you must lower the propshaft, remove the yoke (use a puller) and seal. Installation of the new design seal should be done with the proper tool to make sure the seal sits properly in the machined area and doesn't get distorted. Install the yoke and then we use a special tool to hold it in place so you can torque the pinion nut to 210 lb. ft.
Blue loctite all the propshaft bolts to the yoke and torque them to 44 lb. ft. in a star of David pattern.
Refill the diff... 4 oz of friction modifier first, then top it off with the GM "1677" fluid.
(last 4 of the part number)
Use a can of brake clean to clean it all up and back it out.

Oh and there is some correct info above, the recall is to cover a bad parts run so all models are not affected. You check by the VIN in GMVIS and if it doesn't apply then this repair is out of pocket. They can still leak, but you need to install the updated seal kit. P/N: 19179934

Not sure what this will cost out the door at a dealer. Warranty pays 1.3 hours so take that by your local shop labor rate and add about 30% plus parts. (seal kit lists for $117.15)
My guess would be between $200 and $400 depending on where you live.

Cowan480
03-11-09, 10:06 AM
Car was sold to a local friend..

Thanks for the help!!! I will update you all in a week or so..

Cowan

lollygagger8
03-11-09, 11:24 AM
:worship: Ewill!!!

walleyfisher
03-20-09, 03:28 PM
My '05 Diff started leaking, dealer said there was a TSB about a vent kit. They did the TSB, month later oil leak came back. The dealer then was told by GM to replace the whole Diff, so they did. They told me that there is a design flaw internally and to replace if the vent kit did not work. They had 2 other V'S getting the same thing done.

nmaier2201
03-20-09, 03:32 PM

You shouldn't of Lolly... it's a recall... mandated that GM take the bill for it.

CTSV_510
03-20-09, 03:36 PM
You shouldn't of Lolly... it's a recall... mandated that GM take the bill for it.

They weren't all recalled.

So Cowan, is your buddy still whipping that car around with the leak? If he is I hope he topped off the fluid or he's going to have worse problems than a leaky seal...