: reprogramming keyless remote (key fob)

AHazzardToAll
03-09-09, 08:18 PM
So i replaced the battery in my cat's key fob today and it worked fine at first, but as soon as i walked 10ft away from the car and then walked back it would quit working again! i tried all all the different combos of holding the lock and unlock buttons for seven seconds near the car, then with the key in ignition position, with the car running, and it never did catch on? any suggestions? Thanks in advance. I really want to keep away from stealerships and locksmiths are last resorts.

Warez
03-12-09, 01:25 AM
It takes literally 5 minutes to program with a Tech-2 scan tool, I did it myself once.

So if you end up taking it to the dealer, don't believe them when they tell you it takes an hour or some BS. Often smaller independant shops will also have a Tech-2, so try calling around. I'm sure you can find a place that will do it for $20.

texanwitharake
03-13-09, 12:13 AM
if you just replaced the battery, i believe its something like 20 seconds holding the lock/unlock buttons simultaneously. it tells you how to do it in the OM

98 Catera
03-13-09, 06:05 PM
Today I went to the stealership and bought me remote #1 and #2 and a 2nd key (my car didn't come with any remotes, and only 1 key) and had them program them all. Not a bad way to blow 357.00. Also off topic I ordered new factory floor mats (all 4), my car also didn't come with any, that ran me $85.

AHazzardToAll
03-16-09, 11:55 PM
had a locksmith do it. $30

Warez
03-17-09, 01:15 AM
A locksmith had a Tech-2?

AHazzardToAll
03-18-09, 12:26 AM
yep, n it was quick too. took like 5min. I ordered some keys online n i'll have one program then too.