: Can I put a 2001 Northstar in a 1997 Eldorado?

johnson2090@comcast.
03-09-09, 06:39 PM
We repo'd a perfect 2001 Eldorado with low mileage that got smashed in the rear. Can I pull the engine from the 2001 and put it into a perfect 1997 Eldorado with totally blown head haskets??? Can we make it work with the wiring and computers?

Submariner409
03-09-09, 08:14 PM
............IF you swap the entire electrical system and transmission/axles from the 2001. Otherwise, NO, (unless you want to get way in over your head.....)

Different: cars, engines, transmission controls, electrical connectors and data streams, maybe different motor mounts/dogbones, fans, controls, cooling system parts locations.

Mark C
03-10-09, 01:07 PM
If you took the block and the heads from the 2001 but used all the old sensors intake, fuel injectors, etc from the 97 why wouldn't it work. What is the difference in the block and heads (besides the different length head bolts and the cam roller followers) that would preclude the use of the mechanical components in the older car? If there are additional sensors on the newer engine (which i don't think there are), the old engine controls won't care about them. As long as the engine comes from an ETC and goes into an ETC, or from a base Eldorado into a base eldorado (ie no VIN Y to VIN 9 mismatches) it should work.

AJxtcman
03-10-09, 02:27 PM
............IF you swap the entire electrical system and transmission/axles from the 2001. Otherwise, NO, (unless you want to get way in over your head.....)

Different: cars, engines, transmission controls, electrical connectors and data streams, maybe different motor mounts/dogbones, fans, controls, cooling system parts locations.

You must use the complete 2000 to 2002 Powertrain unit and harness from an Eldo ONLY. The Edlo uses all the old stuff (Fans, motor mounts, Dog-bones, harness, electrical center)

Basically you need to go under the dash on the right side and disconnect the 2 wire connectors and the 1 vacuum hose. Then pull that main harness through the firewall. Disconnect the heater hoses & Radiator hoses. Disconnect the exhaust pipe at the converter. Disconnect the steering column. Disconnect the engine harness from Under-Hood fuse/relay center. Disconnect the A/C from the body side. The struts can say in the car. The ABS unit may need to get used. Other than that drop out the cradle. Everything that came down is what you will need. I mean everything including the cradle.