: How do you store your tires?

SkullV
03-09-09, 01:05 PM
I was wondering how everyone here stores their tires. Is it better to stack them on their side (side wall to the ground) or to put them upright in a row (tread to the ground)? I have three sets of tires that are not mounted on rims and would hate for the sidewalls or treads to become deformed or something!

AAIIIC
03-09-09, 01:33 PM
I don't think it makes any appreciable difference. The important thing is to ensure they're dry, and if at all possible to keep them covered so they're not exposed to UV (which will age the rubber and harden it over time). I use Tire Totes, which are very handy for organizing and storing the 7 sets of wheels and 8 sets of tires I have for me 3 cars. :)

OldRoadDawg
03-09-09, 01:55 PM
Dunno if it is the 'proper' method for storage, but I leave my summer tires (GSD3) on the OEM wheels and store them upright & inflated to about 36 psi in an outdoor shed.
Never had any issues with flat spots, etc.

My buddy runs a tire store and he has loose tires in his storage area both stacked and upright. But he usually doesn't have tires sitting in inventory for several months at a time.

Other suggestions:

Yokohama (http://www.yokohamatire.com/pdf/tsb-112102.pdf)

Goodyear (http://www.goodyear.com/rv/tirecare/tire_storage.html)

perfect
03-09-09, 02:09 PM
In my closet, on their side, stacked

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m25/delussional77/Picture004.jpg

randycsvt
03-09-09, 02:50 PM
Wouldn't that make your clothes smell like tires? I had a new set of tires in my garage laying on their side stacked on top of each other. It drove my wife nuts because she couldn't stand the smell.

perfect
03-09-09, 03:01 PM
Wouldn't that make your clothes smell like tires? I had a new set of tires in my garage laying on their side stacked on top of each other. It drove my wife nuts because she couldn't stand the smell.

no, it makes my tires smell like clothes :confused:

Sadly, I don't have a garage so this is the best that I can do...there isn't a smell though:thumbsup:

SkullV
03-09-09, 03:14 PM

Keg in the closet...pizza on the floor.....good song..never actually seen a keg in the closet though!

B-1 Buddha
03-09-09, 03:35 PM
Keg in the closet...pizza on the floor.....good song..never actually seen a keg in the closet though!

I've done a keg stand on a keg in a closet. I think. :alchi: Wait, maybe it was in a bathtub. That would make more sense. Hard to remember...

I built a "loft" over my garage door (hung a 2x4 platform from the door's angle iron) and I put my wheels up there, horizontal, in tire totes.

JD03Cobra
03-09-09, 03:35 PM
Keg? That looks more like wheels.

perfect
03-09-09, 03:41 PM

they're rims

and i'm pretty sure you've seen plenty of kegs in your fraternity closets :alchi:

SkullV
03-09-09, 03:42 PM
Keg? That looks more like wheels.

After looking at them again it DOES look like wheels...but it also looks like a keg!

lollygagger8
03-09-09, 03:56 PM
Hahhaha it did look like a keg, but I'm usually looking at em upsidedown :alchi:

I store mine on their sides...but I don't think it matters. As long as the weight of the car isn't on them I wouldn't think you'd get flat spots.

SkullV
03-09-09, 04:00 PM
they're rims

and i'm pretty sure you've seen plenty of kegs in your fraternity closets :alchi:

Eh...we usually return them ASAP..the $30 deposit is killer here!

perfect
03-09-09, 04:06 PM
Eh...we usually return them ASAP..the $30 deposit is killer here!

No kegs allowed at Delta Sigs...so we had the Budweiser guy drop off pallets of beer instead :worship:

CadzillaTN
03-09-09, 07:47 PM

Nice! I thought I went through tires but now I dont feel so bad...

Is that stash due to a leadfoot,good prices,KC potholes,or hiding SEMO skeezers when your girlfriend pops in on you?

perfect
03-09-09, 08:01 PM
Nice! I thought I went through tires but now I dont feel so bad...

Is that stash due to a leadfoot,good prices,KC potholes,or hiding SEMO skeezers when your girlfriend pops in on you?

Haha, 8 of them are the Goodyears DG3's that were on sale for $98...too good to pass up

the others are random snow tires and some old ones just in case

the tires are on my girlfriend's side of the closet though :highfive:

ahahnu
03-09-09, 08:02 PM
Just don't come out of the closet, stay in.

JD03Cobra
03-09-09, 08:50 PM
After looking at them again it DOES look like wheels...but it also looks like a keg!

Don't worry...I'm thirsty too.

VforMe
03-09-09, 10:35 PM
the tires are on my girlfriend's side of the closet though

She's a keeper:thumbsup:

thebigjimsho
03-09-09, 11:53 PM
I don't think it makes any appreciable difference. The important thing is to ensure they're dry, and if at all possible to keep them covered so they're not exposed to UV (which will age the rubber and harden it over time). I use Tire Totes, which are very handy for organizing and storing the 7 sets of wheels and 8 sets of tires I have for me 3 cars. :)
+1 Tire Totes are the bees knees...

acowherd
03-10-09, 12:29 AM

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Well I guess people hide all kinds of things in their closet...:Poke:

What spare wheels do you have?

Did you ever get your exhaust work done?

NormV
03-10-09, 06:40 AM
Out of the sunlight.

Norm

perfect
03-10-09, 09:09 AM
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Well I guess people hide all kinds of things in their closet...:Poke:

What spare wheels do you have?

Did you ever get your exhaust work done?

i have no spare wheels, just spare tires

and I've had a magnaflow exhaust since about 2 days after buying the car

still considering cutouts and headers...

acowherd
03-10-09, 12:49 PM
I am definitely wanting to do cutouts.... I just don't know if I am going with one or two.

Are those rims not for your cts-v?:alchi:

perfect
03-10-09, 12:51 PM
I am definitely wanting to do cutouts.... I just don't know if I am going with one or two.

Are those rims not for your cts-v?:alchi:

no, they are the stockers for my suburban

thebigjimsho
03-10-09, 02:01 PM
truck wheels