: A few questions for you new V2 owners

jwall09
03-09-09, 12:15 AM
I have both a 2005 CTS-V and 2006 STS-V. I know, I have the best wife in the world!

My questions arr simple:

1.) If you have an automatic, and if you have/had/drove a STS-V, how does it compare?

2.) If you have a 6spd, how does it shift, especially compared to the V1 (if you had one?)

CadV
03-09-09, 02:08 AM
I have both a 2005 CTS-V and 2006 STS-V. I know, I have the best wife in the world!

My questions arr simple:

1.) If you have an automatic, and if you have/had/drove a STS-V, how does it compare?

2.) If you have a 6spd, how does it shift, especially compared to the V1 (if you had one?)

1) Night a day difference the V2 Auto is mucho better.

Kadonny
03-09-09, 09:32 AM
I had an 07 STS-V that I traded for the 09 CTS-V. The new CTS-V automatic trans is light years ahead of the STS-V. The manual shifting is so much better and quicker that it's not even a comparison.

JFJr
03-09-09, 04:13 PM
To me the TR-6060 is a big improvement over the 2005 "V" transmission. The shifts from the 6060 are shorter, more precise, smoother and just "feel better." Also, the engagement of reverse is magical. I haven't experienced any occasional difficulties in engaging 1st (always at a stoplight) that happened in the 2005, but I only have 4,500 miles on my 2009, so I need more seat time. My experience tells me that the 6060 will only get more smooth and effortless as time goes by. The only negative comment I have on the 6060 is that it's not as smooth when cold, but that passes quickly and may disappear entirely in time.

Luna.
03-09-09, 04:38 PM

My questions arr simple:

The shifter is SO MUCH BETTER in the '09, it's not even funny. I switched to the UCC for my '05 V and that doesn't even touch the '09 shifter. It's near-flawlessly smooth, feels great and shifts precisely. I love it. GM seemed to listen carefully to the complaints and they fixed an awful lot...

One thing I will say, however, is that gas mileage is AWFUL in the '09V--I mean, like scary bad. Yes, anyone who purchases this car for gas mileage should be slapped silly, but Jesus...I can't get over ~14 MPG and that's with a lot of highway miles, NOT putting my foot into it for most of the tank. Put your foot into it a lot? Pfft---you'll fall under ~14 mpg in a heartbeat...

Still wouldn't trade it for damn-near anything though... :D

Richie18
03-09-09, 05:25 PM
It's all about weight, and the V is one hefty car. The curb weight on my Sport Trac V8 is 4500, and city mpg is about 12. With the weight of the V in the 4200-4300 range you shouldn't expect very good mileage.

tedcmiller
03-09-09, 10:03 PM
I had a 2004 and a 2005 CTS-V with the 6-speed manual only because an automatic was not availalble. I don't like manual shifting even with a good transmission. Buy an automatic. I have it on my 2009 CTS-V. The automatic loses some top end but shifts faster than a manual. The automatic on the 2009 CTS-V is an excellent transmission.

Richie18
03-09-09, 10:13 PM
I had a 2004 and a 2005 CTS-V with the 6-speed manual only because an automatic was not availalble. I don't like manual shifting even with a good transmission. Buy an automatic. I have it on my 2009 CTS-V. The automatic loses some top end but shifts faster than a manual. The automatic on the 2009 CTS-V is an excellent transmission.

Also depends on if you want to want to make some extra power as i've heard the auto tranny isn't going to be able to handle much more torque.

tedcmiller
03-09-09, 10:24 PM
Richie18, I am not interested in "making extra power." I am perfectly content with the car's power as it is.

JFJr
03-27-09, 09:04 PM
To me the TR-6060 is a big improvement over the 2005 "V" transmission. The shifts from the 6060 are shorter, more precise, smoother and just "feel better." Also, the engagement of reverse is magical. I haven't experienced any occasional difficulties in engaging 1st (always at a stoplight) that happened in the 2005, but I only have 4,500 miles on my 2009, so I need more seat time. My experience tells me that the 6060 will only get more smooth and effortless as time goes by. The only negative comment I have on the 6060 is that it's not as smooth when cold, but that passes quickly and may disappear entirely in time.

I have about 5,400 miles now and an update. The TR-6060 prefers a light touch. If you are heavy-handed when going from 2nd to 3rd, you may miss 3rd gear, particularly if you are pulling g-forces in a turn. I guess that I'm not yet used to such a great transmission.