: 20's vs 22's Which one?

RByers91
03-08-09, 09:14 PM
Well I think its time for some new wheels. I'm thinking of blacking out my lade, so some black wheels would be nice. Question though. 20's or 22's? I know the bigger the wheels the worse the ride, so that made me like the 20's more, but when i saw 22's on a lade i just couldn't believe how great they looked. I'm so torn. All i know is i want black with a chrome lip. I am on a budget, the wheels shouldn't cost more than $1,500.00 for the set (excluding tires).

I did find these wheels: http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=MP22695H30139MBDC&wheelMake=moda&wheelModel=226&wheelFinish=Matte+Machined+w%2FBlack+Accent&showRear=no&autoMake=Cadillac&autoModel=Escalade+AWD&autoYear=2002&autoModClar=&filterSize=All&filterFinish=All&filterSpecial=false&filterBrand=All&filterNew=All&sort=Brand

Thanks for any feedback.

P.S. I'd also like to tint the taillights, any info on that as well is greatly appreciated.

-Ryan

pcguy760
03-08-09, 09:34 PM
VHT Spray Tint works pretty well and yeah I personally think 22's look better than 20's. 24's look bad ass but be prepared for a rough ride and not to forget the big price difference from 22's to 24's. I use to have 23's on my Expedition with Pirelli tires and it still road like total crap. I mean it looked nice and all but man, I could feel every little rock on the road and I will not even go into explaining pot holes... *cough*.

Oh btw, I am leaning more on 22's right now... :) Not too big, not too small and not too rough riding - there, you have all your chips on one bag!! haha!!

Peace.

J-Ridez
03-09-09, 02:37 AM
20"s & 22"s are for cars, I say nothing less than 24"s - I have 24"s on my EXT and wish I went with 26"s. The ride with 24"s is very good, just go with a 305/35 series tire. I had 23"s on my previous Navigator with 305/40 series tires and the ride was great but the tires looked too 4x4-ish after a while and not skinny enough. Either way - that's just my opinion and you'll be the person driving your ride, not any of us on here so get what fits your needs & budget. If the biggest you'll go is 22"s, my vote is for the 22"s.

pcguy760
03-09-09, 02:46 AM
I guess it depends where you live too cos I just noticed you are in Sacramento, CA and here in IL, due to weather conditions, etc. our streets are kinda bad (lots of bumps, potholes, etc.) so I am thinking maybe that's why you say it rides great eh? Well I figure a lower profile is gonna be more sensitive to road conditions anyways so I was considering like a 305 40 22 or 305 45 22 instead of something with a 35 profile... still unsure yet though.

BTW, do the bigger wheels put more strain on the drivetrain or suspension, ie. wheel bearings, etc? Just wondering...

RByers91
03-09-09, 03:31 AM
24's and up are a little to big for me. I just want some wheels that will look good, but not sacrafice the ride conditions etc... I found some nice 20's black wheels for 1490 with tires so i might go with those. To pcguy, yes the bigger the wheels the more strain it has on the suspension.

Silver04
03-09-09, 11:06 AM
I went through the same quandry a couple of months ago...I went with 20's. Potholes, ride quality, gravel/washboard roads helped make the decision for me. Also, I wanted the factory brakes to still look to scale behind the wheel, which they do behind 20's. I went with a 275/55/20 mounted on OEM CK945's...If I had to do it again I would have gone with a 275/60/20 tire. I love ride quality.

pcguy760
03-10-09, 02:42 AM
Yeah cos you would not want the Caddy to ride an old Ford lol.

playboy225
06-13-09, 04:43 PM
I got 24s and the ride is a bit rougher but I use my 04' as the spare vehicle so I ride it only on pretty smooth street and the interstate highway... anyway, 20s are way to small in my opinion, 22s are better and are pretty cheap now. Any wheel other than the factory wheels will affect the ride of your truck...

pcguy760
06-15-09, 03:13 AM
Hey I forgot about this thread lol - anyway I ended up going against my statement above and going with 24's and let me tell you that the ride is not as bad at all - very similar to stock ride but the weight of these wheels can be felt because you WILL lose some acceleration and some of your MPG WILL come down a little bit guaranteed.

Anyway like the old saying "you gotta pay to play"...

mancuusa
06-16-09, 03:54 PM
Hi guys i was lucky enough i found on craigslist.org a set of 22' oem from the 09 rims and tires like new $1200 amazing....see if i have a picture.

pcguy760
06-18-09, 04:55 PM
Hey thats a great deal - where are the pics??? :thepan: LOL

bstiffmanofsteel
06-19-09, 02:32 PM
Hi guys i was lucky enough i found on craigslist.org a set of 22' oem from the 09 rims and tires like new $1200 amazing....see if i have a picture.

That is a deal. I had been looking for a set but have no interest in paying more than $1500 for used OEM wheels. Seems everyone who is selling them is trying to get what they paid for them at the dealer. There is a guy in Chicago trying to get a grand for some 18" take offs... I had 20s, they just looked way too small. Sold them then found some 24s... My .02

luxurylife33
06-19-09, 11:51 PM
the real question is 22's or 24's?

jordan00escalade
06-20-09, 12:34 PM
I purchased some 22's over the 24's because we use our Escalade for long trips and vacations. 22's can hold more tread than 24's.. 20's will give you more comfort over the 22's, so there's your give and take. I scheme my upgrades with FUNCTIONALITY in mind. Tires aren't cheap, so if your going to be making long trips and things the 22's aren't bad at all.. You'll sacrifice some gas mileage, but all in all it's about making changes that suite you and your needs... and looking good doing it. lol Either size is perfect, if it fits your needs. Take your time with your upgrades and do them right the first time though.. Good luck though