: Suspension q"s

mikedi57
03-08-09, 07:39 PM
What is a better bang for the buck, or better handling setup, A, hochkis sways, stock springs, and qa1's or fg2's OR B ,stock sways, qa1's or fg2's and aftermarket springs? Or B setup with hotchkis sways? Pro's Con's of all setups...

CadiBlk
03-08-09, 07:43 PM
search is your friend.

mikedi57
03-08-09, 07:46 PM
Thank you for the useless response:thepan:

CadiBlk
03-08-09, 07:49 PM
Thank you for not being a supporting member and spamming out questions that a simple search on this forum would clear up.

thebigjimsho
03-08-09, 08:00 PM
oh snap.

ccextra1976
03-08-09, 08:14 PM
:smack:

thebigjimsho
03-08-09, 08:31 PM
seriously, try a search first. then if you need more questions answered, let us know...

mikedi57
03-08-09, 09:15 PM
show me a thread that asks the question i just asked........

ccextra1976
03-08-09, 09:41 PM
show me a thread that asks the question i just asked........

I think the point they are making in to search and read on the QA1's then FG2's etc, then post your specific question about them...

Bueller
03-08-09, 09:50 PM
There is a ton of info on here regarding pros and cons of all of those. The best bang for the buck depends on your budget or what you will try to accomplish. Everything you mentioned may work for you. Lowered just for looks, autocross, track days, money is no object hot setup, full racecar? Adjustability important?

Searching will give you much info.

mikedi57
03-08-09, 11:35 PM
Because there are so many cts v's running around with different suspensions. Hey its just a DISCUSSION forum, you cannot discuss anything on here, I mean someone may have done what your looking to do 4 years ago, wouldn't want to ask any questions, especially on a DISCUSSION forum, you guys have more tech issues to deal with, like cutting resonators or who has the nicest exhaust tips.

Bueller
03-08-09, 11:48 PM
Hey Mike be Nice.

Again...DISCUSS what you will use it for.

The best bet would be changing the sways, the springs AND shocks. 2 of 3 will be a compromise. I have GMPP sways and my next step will be shocks, probably a coil over so I can adjust height. I autocross mine and found a noticeable difference in body roll with just sways but still has a stock like ride.

mikedi57
03-08-09, 11:52 PM
I do not track the car, shocks are showing their age, I like the way it rides, biggest issue is body roll during corners, what is a more comfortable solution, new springs or bigger sways... see now we are discussing things, ,much better

Bueller
03-09-09, 12:04 AM
I would try sways first. It may work without the extra expense. My shocks are still rather new fe4s and if I wasn't autocrossing or tracking it would work for just a DD for me.

You could always add the FG2 or qa1s if you still think you need to replace your shocks.

If you search GC you will find people that just did adjustable springs and see what they say about just springs.

ccextra1976
03-09-09, 12:09 AM
Hey Mike be Nice.

Again...DISCUSS what you will use it for.

The best bet would be changing the sways, the springs AND shocks. 2 of 3 will be a compromise. I have GMPP sways and my next step will be shocks, probably a coil over so I can adjust height. I autocross mine and found a noticeable difference in body roll with just sways but still has a stock like ride.

quick threadjack:

he said mikenice :rant2:

ok threadjack off:

CadiBlk
03-09-09, 12:11 AM
quick threadjack:

he said mikenice :rant2:

ok threadjack off:

mikenice is back?

mikedi57
03-09-09, 12:27 AM
HAHA NO I do NOTz b tpyinz likez dIS SoNN

Albertan
03-09-09, 12:30 AM
Interesting questions. Some of you said he should search...so I did.
QA1 brings no results as does FG2. I was surprised to say the least. I would have thought it would have brought up this thread. So search doesn't seem to be my friend here. Maybe it is more friendly with someone else???
It probably doesn't matter to me here anyway. IT IS NEVER GOING TO STOP SNOWING!!!

ccextra1976
03-09-09, 12:31 AM

ur also miss'n the .....Knowz tit allz attiztude

Bueller
03-09-09, 12:53 AM
QA1 brings no results as does FG2. I was surprised to say the least. I would have thought it would have brought up this thread. So search doesn't seem to be my friend here. Maybe it is more friendly with someone else???

I searched advanced under the 04-07 V forum with "qa1 shock" and found this. Lots of shock / spring / sway info found below.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1059641

mikedi57
03-09-09, 07:26 AM
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.
:duck:

mikedi57
03-09-09, 07:27 AM
Thank you Albertan, you are know what is commonly referred to as a human being.

NormV
03-09-09, 07:48 AM
Sway bars. Might wan to try poly bushings first.

Norm

I do not track the car, shocks are showing their age, I like the way it rides, biggest issue is body roll during corners, what is a more comfortable solution, new springs or bigger sways... see now we are discussing things, ,much better

deedubb
03-09-09, 08:17 AM
What about Voodoo's strut tower braces (Front/Rear)? They would help keep the chassis stiff

ichpen
03-09-09, 09:49 AM
I did not notice anything worth reporting when going to Hotchkis sways (perhaps a little less roll, could be modivitis). Then again, I'm running FG2s so felt the car was fairly stiff to begin with.

ctsv154
03-09-09, 10:40 AM
I did not notice anything worth reporting when going to Hotchkis sways (perhaps a little less roll, could be modivitis). Then again, I'm running FG2s so felt the car was fairly stiff to begin with.

The only thing you would feel is less roll. Thats it. Unless you have some ungodly stiff roll bars and drive down your local rutted logging trail all the time they will not affect ride quality at all and you will not notice you have them until you go around a corner.

soundexp
03-09-09, 11:14 AM
I have FG2's and the Hotchkiss sways (no spring change) and it flattened the car out in the corner allowing you to get back on the gas quicker since more of your inside rear tire is still planted. Rides the same as it did previously. Well worth it IMO. I am contemplating the spring change but am less interested in the lowering and more interested in the handling improvement. You guys out there with the Eibach's have any opinion as to what they alone did for the handling? Sorry for going off on a little tangent............

trukk
03-09-09, 12:21 PM
It probably doesn't matter to me here anyway. IT IS NEVER GOING TO STOP SNOWING!!!

Guys, The search engine here won't search on words less then 4 characters. You can try google, and seach within this domain with your keywords.

Let's see, join date April 2008, 20 some posts, but knows who MikeNice is...HMM....welcome back Mr. Nice.

-Chris

ichpen
03-09-09, 12:29 PM
The only thing you would feel is less roll. Thats it. Unless you have some ungodly stiff roll bars and drive down your local rutted logging trail all the time they will not affect ride quality at all and you will not notice you have them until you go around a corner.

Perhaps. Again, I was running runflats + FG2s so it felt pretty stiff to begin with. You'd be surprised how much of a difference runflats or your choice of tire makes to the ride and handling.

mikedi57
03-09-09, 01:57 PM
thanks for the feedback from the human members of this site, mikenice doesn't get banned from ls1 tech everyweek, I wouldn't have any idea who that is.

Albertan
03-09-09, 04:28 PM
Trukk
Good to know about needing 4 characters to search. I knew there was lots of info. I'm planning to do some upgrades and will probably go with Hochkiss sways first. I still have my RSA runflats and will be changing them as well. I have the original FE4 shocks so I'll get around to them sooner or later. I have to do a search or just look if I can move those to my CTS. The CTS probably needs new shocks now anyway. I will probably move my sways to the CTS as well if they fit.
Mike You can't help it if your name is close to a less loved member!

50 4Ever
03-09-09, 04:49 PM

I tracked the V with FE4's and stock sway's, then I swapped the sways for Hotchkis. Big difference, a lot less body roll.

If you track the V quite a bit I'd say Hotchkis and GC's set to about 800/850.

Albertan
03-09-09, 05:32 PM
50 4
Ah, just what I wanted to know. I'll get the sways, take it to the track and see, then get new PS2 tires and see again. Of course the stock set up is still probably better than I am.

atdeneve
03-09-09, 05:41 PM
I tracked the V with FE4's and stock sway's, then I swapped the sways for Hotchkis. Big difference, a lot less body roll.

If you track the V quite a bit I'd say Hotchkis and GC's set to about 800/850.

What shocks are you running with those rates?

thebigjimsho
03-09-09, 10:23 PM
What about Voodoo's strut tower braces (Front/Rear)? They would help keep the chassis stiff
If you get the rear brace, that'll help. Upgrading the front bar won't change handling at all, but it looks beefier. If money is an issue, save the front bar upgrade for later...

50 4Ever
03-10-09, 12:46 PM
What shocks are you running with those rates?

I am not running these but a friend of mine that used to be on the forum, rgd, had his 2004 V set up for racing and he did real well. He was running the Ground Control coilovers set to those rates. He ran Hoosier R6's also, hardly anyone could keep up with him. He also had the back seat removed and he added 6-pt harnesses and a rear brace.

Website for Ground Control -----> Here. (http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/description.php?II=715)

50 4

Ah, just what I wanted to know. I'll get the sways, take it to the track and see, then get new PS2 tires and see again. Of course the stock set up is still probably better than I am.

PS2's are great tires, that's what I'm running now. I went from stock to GS-D3's to PS2's. I'm running 245's all around, some folks run wider in the rear. Got 11,000 out of both stock and GS-D3's, I'm at 24,000 on the PS2's and still counting.

thebigjimsho
03-10-09, 01:19 PM
hmmm, I'm likely going to be upping my spring rates from 500/550 quite a bit with the QA1s...

ctsv154
03-10-09, 02:26 PM
hmmm, I'm likely going to be upping my spring rates from 500/550 quite a bit with the QA1s...

I may have to do this as well. I bought the 500/550 because that is what you guys recomended and I didn't think that I would have better shocks so soon. How much are just the springs? Anybody want to trade my 500/550 springs for your >650 springs?

atdeneve
03-10-09, 02:59 PM
I am not running these but a friend of mine that used to be on the forum, rgd, had his 2004 V set up for racing and he did real well. He was running the Ground Control coilovers set to those rates. He ran Hoosier R6's also, hardly anyone could keep up with him. He also had the back seat removed and he added 6-pt harnesses and a rear brace.

Website for Ground Control -----> Here. (http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/description.php?II=715)

I see. Was just curious, cuz I thought, perhaps, you might've stumbled upon a novel shock option (that could handle that high a spring rate) and, if so, was wondering how you felt about it.

Yeah, was aware of RGD's setup, runnin the QA1s. Too bad, he's now sittin on Porches, cuz he did say he was definitely missing the V.

I also got all my rear stuff out, mostly cuz I never got around to puttin it back in, but also cuz I was still workin it out. Nice and tight though. Haven't yet got around to throwin the Kars on there, which I know Rob had (also gotta get around to the UUC diff bushing...). I imagine it'll only further button it down. Yizzir!

PISNUOFF
03-10-09, 03:20 PM
I bought RGD's setup from him and I run the lower spring rates, 600/650 (I think those are the rates, might be 650/700). I have the 750/800 sitting at home and have yet to try them on the track. The QA1's set to 10 or 11, GC lowered 1" front and rear, 600/650, R-Compound slicks and stock sways get around the track great and I don't have very much body roll at all. The slicks are just an added bonus for traction and don't have much to do with body roll other than allowing more cornering g-force and allowing the car to be able to roll more.

BTW- I had the QA1's rebuilt after I bought them from RGD and they were rode hard and put up wet. I only hope to put them through the same paces. :worship:

atdeneve
03-10-09, 03:37 PM
Haven't yet graduated to slicks yet.

Guessing that'll be the one most singular drop-jaw mod in terms of handling seat-of-the-pants feel, but kinda wanna hold off on that one till I get the other ish how I like.

Natedog
03-10-09, 03:40 PM
Is 500/550 the way to go with FE4's for decent track upgrade and still streetable for another 25k, and what does 500/550 coincide with on GC's website options? My 07 has 34k on it now FYI.. Thx

thebigjimsho
03-10-09, 03:49 PM
I bought RGD's setup from him and I run the lower spring rates, 600/650 (I think those are the rates, might be 650/700). I have the 750/800 sitting at home and have yet to try them on the track. The QA1's set to 10 or 11, GC lowered 1" front and rear, 600/650, R-Compound slicks and stock sways get around the track great and I don't have very much body roll at all. The slicks are just an added bonus for traction and don't have much to do with body roll other than allowing more cornering g-force and allowing the car to be able to roll more.

BTW- I had the QA1's rebuilt after I bought them from RGD and they were rode hard and put up wet. I only hope to put them through the same paces. :worship:Feedback time. How are the springs you're running now for DD? Have you or RGD played with the valving on the QA1s at all??

thebigjimsho
03-10-09, 03:51 PM
Is 500/550 the way to go with FE4's for decent track upgrade and still streetable for another 25k, and what does 500/550 coincide with on GC's website options? My 07 has 34k on it now FYI.. Thx
Yes, 500/550 should work with FE4s. I loved them with my FG2s. I don't remember how that coincides with GC's website, however...

thebigjimsho
03-14-09, 12:00 PM

BTW- I had the QA1's rebuilt after I bought them from RGD and they were rode hard and put up wet. I only hope to put them through the same paces. :worship:Moar feedback please. If you like the 750/800, are you keeping the 600/650? I've got a set of QA1s sitting in my garage. I also need to get some front mounting brackets for them...

jerrycecco
03-14-09, 12:18 PM
I too have been researching suspension choices too for a while.
I did bought set of Hoch. sway bars and it did flaten the car in the corners without changing the DD character
I have the FE4 shocks not crazy about
I jumped to Mich PS2 265 last Oct and great GREAT but expensive...
I have tracked my car a few times and plan to continue -- Eagles Canyon a great track....
the QA1 shocks is on my radar now to research,
best price I found was New Era Performance:
tc1578B- $205 each
tc3025p- $182 each

Still like to feel the QA1 before buying them
Anyone in DFW have them?
.....free beer for a ride....

my email:
jerrycecco@tx.rr.com