: I got douchebagged at the dealer today...

frankfuster
03-07-09, 10:31 PM
So here goes my first post. Ever since the CTS-V came out in 2004 (was in college) it sorta tickled an unknown gearhead funny bone inside me. Sort of like when my parents gave me my first car, a 1991 Blue Ford Mustang GT. I got out of college in 2007 and got my first job in 2008. Was looking for a good performance new car, but then "it" (recession/housing crash/financials crash) happened and I quickly changed my mind on buying a new car. Decided that used was the prudent route to go.

So this week a local dealer (San Juan, PR) put up a 2004 V with 24k miles. Black on black, gorgeous, not a scratch on it. Got there, looked it over, got the carfax, etc. Test drove it and everything was great. Got back and proceeded to start the haggling process. Worked them down from $24,000 to $21,000. I didn't feel like doing the ole let me think about it and drive off technique to get the extra $1k to get to my $20k sweet spot for this particular car. So I chatted him up a bit to liven the mood before telling him to start the paperwork for the loan with my Credit Union.

Unknown to me, a guy had arrived at the dealer and was looking the car over. He talked to another sales dude and apparently the sales rep told him the car was in the negotiation process. So this dude, walks over to us and interrupts me and says: "I'll give you asking price right now if you sell it to me." And so I was basically shown the door and sent on my way.

I have been looking for a V in this condition for over 6.5 months, in which time I have found only ONE other V for sale besides this one, and then this crap happens to me. If I was in the mainland US I wouldn't be as pissed as I am because of the much larger supply of good used V's. But over here, if there 10-15 first gen V's in good condition I would be surprised. Anyways just wanted to share my pain. What hurts even more is that I'm back to driving my POS 2003 Hyundai Tiburon... (my college car given to me by my parents)

ctsv154
03-07-09, 10:53 PM
What a douchebag! That sucks man.

CadzillaTN
03-07-09, 10:59 PM
well, theres a lesson in this we all have to learn at some point in life: dont deal with a dealer unless you are buying a brand new car. Otherwise you are getting hosed. Private seller is the only way. Just do your diligence and you'll be fine.
There are tons of used Vs out there..

Sidenote: I almost shed a tear when I read that an 04 would sell for over 20k....

frankfuster
03-07-09, 11:08 PM
I should point out that things over here are a tad bit different in terms of buying cars. ALL new cars have to pay a "special" excise tax. Basically let's say a car costs $50,000 new (MSRP). That has to pay a $10,886 tax PLUS 40% of the excess value of the car over $44,890. Thus that $50k car will end up costing you $62930 plus dealer markup. So as you can see, I was actually getting a "fair" deal while not employing ber and time consuming haggling practices.

And the reason I almost HAVE to deal with dealers is that used car loan rates over here suck the big one. Think almost 17% from most major banks. The only real options are 2 local Federal Credit unions and one mainland US federal credit union (Pentagon Federal; they only have a branch inside the local military base). The 2 local credit unions require the car to be at a dealer and no more than 5 years old. And Penfed has really tightened up their lending. I have a 745 credit score and I got denied a $30k used car loan because of lack of credit history.

mattsworld
03-07-09, 11:21 PM
Are you serious? I'm afraid me and this guy would have had a long talk.

perfect
03-07-09, 11:51 PM
that sucks but cash is king and he was going to pay the asking price

keep looking, you'll find something

UnsafeAtAnySpd
03-07-09, 11:56 PM
Your parents gave you two cars, one of which is only a few years old? Must be nice...

But yeah, that does suck though.

CTSV_510
03-08-09, 12:04 AM
That really sucks man, I hope you find another one soon.

thebigjimsho
03-08-09, 12:56 AM
Well, until your name is on a long piece of paper, it's fair game. But I love your thread title. And I hope you'll find a good one eventually. At least the wait will mean an even lower price...

liqidvenom
03-08-09, 01:22 PM
Yeah the same thing nearly happened to me. I took my v out for a test drive and right when we came back two other couples were waiting to test drive it and one of them already had started to haggle on the price of the car even though I was already haggling on it.

i put my cash down and told him to go play in the sand. he still had the nerve to want to test drive it.

thebigjimsho
03-08-09, 01:39 PM
I was either the 2nd or 3rd buyer of an '04 V at the dealer I went to. Put down a deposit in January. Had the V ordered. Car came in early April when I couldn't purchase until June.

They kept it out front with a SOLD sign for nearly 2 months. I was paying MSRP. People were offering more. In late May they called and asked if they could do anything to get me into the V sooner. They got me better financing(a full percentage point better) and gave me better trade-in value on my '01 Accord than Honda even offered.

Tis why I always give my dealer mad props...yo.

frankfuster
03-08-09, 02:42 PM
I was either the 2nd or 3rd buyer of an '04 V at the dealer I went to. Put down a deposit in January. Had the V ordered. Car came in early April when I couldn't purchase until June.

They kept it out front with a SOLD sign for nearly 2 months. I was paying MSRP. People were offering more. In late May they called and asked if they could do anything to get me into the V sooner. They got me better financing(a full percentage point better) and gave me better trade-in value on my '01 Accord than Honda even offered.

Tis why I always give my dealer mad props...yo.

Used car dealerships are a bit different IMO. Rats nest if ya ask me...

thebigjimsho
03-08-09, 03:48 PM
Used car dealerships are a bit different IMO. Rats nest if ya ask me...
usually...

smokisnshellz
03-08-09, 05:32 PM
That sucks bu hey her right if you want the car I guess you gotta getit. And the dealer sucks for not having a little more class he was dealing with you 1st. And agreed me an dthat dude would have a nice chit chat!:bouncer:

Albertan
03-08-09, 06:43 PM
I was the other guy in this same scenario when I bought my daughter's first car. Dealer was getting ready to wholesale it. People were just about to sign the papers. Car was running and person waiting to follow it. Dealer picked up the papers and told them it was sold to me. So they left. Of course, dealer was making more money selling it to me than wholesaling it. Just like real estate or auction, who ever pays more gets it. It is miserable when it happens to you though. Where are you??

thebigjimsho
03-08-09, 08:11 PM
Me thinks he's in Puerto Rico...

atdeneve
03-08-09, 08:30 PM
I've got 5 on So Paulo.

atdeneve
03-08-09, 08:31 PM
You need to roll your blunts with Morcheeba.

MauiV
03-08-09, 08:36 PM
I was the other guy in this same scenario when I bought my daughter's first car. Dealer was getting ready to wholesale it. People were just about to sign the papers. Car was running and person waiting to follow it. Dealer picked up the papers and told them it was sold to me. So they left.

As I was leaving I would have backed the Jeep right into the car hard enough to ensure nobody was leaving with it. But then again I am one vindictive MOFO.

thebigjimsho
03-08-09, 08:52 PM
la vida loca

The Tony Show
03-08-09, 08:57 PM
I was the other guy in this same scenario when I bought my daughter's first car. Dealer was getting ready to wholesale it. People were just about to sign the papers. Car was running and person waiting to follow it. Dealer picked up the papers and told them it was sold to me. So they left. Of course, dealer was making more money selling it to me than wholesaling it. Just like real estate or auction, who ever pays more gets it. It is miserable when it happens to you though.

:yeah:

Imagine you had a car on Autotrader and someone came to see it. While person number 1 was busting your chops over the price and trying to haggle you down, person number 2 drives up and offers you cash equal to your asking price- right now.

I'm sure everyone here would tell guy number 2, "Sorry, but I'd rather keep negotiating with this first guy than take the extra money from you", right?

Right?

thebigjimsho
03-08-09, 09:06 PM
Money is not my god...

atdeneve
03-08-09, 09:27 PM
As I was leaving I would have backed the Jeep right into the car hard enough to ensure nobody was leaving with it. But then again I am one vindictive MOFO.

At least, you know it and ain't afraid to say it like it is ... Otherwise, you'd be a vindictive bitch. Now, you're just an azzhole. :thumbsup:

And that's not a flame.

thebigjimsho
03-08-09, 09:34 PM
speek da troof

frankfuster
03-09-09, 08:06 PM
Well well well...

Got a call today from the salesperson at the dealer. He said that the other dude didn't make the deal because he only had half the money and couldn't finance the other half because of a bankruptcy in his credit file.

My first reaction was: :rant2: and then :thehand:

But I really want that V... I'm thinking about calling them back and offering $1k lower than my initial offer because of the BS they put me through. What do you guys think?

SkullV
03-09-09, 08:45 PM
Well well well...

Got a call today from the salesperson at the dealer. He said that the other dude didn't make the deal because he only had half the money and couldn't finance the other half because of a bankruptcy in his credit file.

But I really want that V... I'm thinking about calling them back and offering $1k lower than my initial offer because of the BS they put me through. What do you guys think?

If its really the V that you have decided you want then cut the BS and give them their money...they will be happy, you will be happy, and no one will drive off with your potential ride...AGAIN!

CIWS
03-09-09, 08:46 PM

Ask them honestly, why should you deal with them now since they pushed you aside once you had already spent the time working out the details of a real sale ?

helogene
03-09-09, 09:41 PM
You need to ask them what they're gonna do for you! Instead of undercutting the price you already had, make them throw in a 5 year, 60k warranty.

Or, New Tires, or.....Make them crawl and grovel....

Tell them you found another car, cheaper, with lower miles....

All ideas....

But, if you REALLY want it, you were seconds from signing before....Strike while the iron's hot....But toss a few of those ideas in first! All they can say is "NO". And they will if they don't like the deal.

thebigjimsho
03-09-09, 11:46 PM
Well well well...

But I really want that V... I'm thinking about calling them back and offering $1k lower than my initial offer because of the BS they put me through. What do you guys think?Actually, yeah, I'd push for $1G off for the hassle. I think that's a fair proposal...

Albertan
03-10-09, 01:09 AM
What ever you do don't miss it a second time. But I agree, make them sweat a bit maybe they will sweeten the pot.

And Tony, you are right. They were going to wholesale the car so would have made quite a bit less on it. It was at a GM dealership that I bought my truck from. They only had it as a trade in and I got to it before they managed to get rid of it. I paid $2000. what would they have wholesaled it for? $1200??

CadzillaTN
03-10-09, 01:19 AM
Well well well...

FRANK:
Whatever you do, dont get double dealer douchebagged! Youre in control! Get down there at 7:30 am. Tell the finance droid you'll give them $14,999. 0 DOWN, 0% for 90 months, they pay taxes, title, delivery, and full detail... or SHOVE IT..:want:

thebigjimsho
03-10-09, 01:27 PM
1/2 off!

odla
03-10-09, 02:40 PM
i say 1/2 off as well also they need to kiss the boot mark off your ass that they gave you the first time.

thebigjimsho
03-10-09, 02:42 PM
get free oil changes for 3 years.

The Tony Show
03-10-09, 03:10 PM
Yeah! Go in there and be complete assclown! Make a bunch of unreasonable demands, then find out what it's like to really get thrown out of a business. That'll show 'em!

Grrrr!!! Raarrrrrr!!!

thebigjimsho
03-10-09, 04:30 PM
Yeah! Go in there and be complete assclown! Make a bunch of unreasonable demands, then find out what it's like to really get thrown out of a business. That'll show 'em!

Grrrr!!! Raarrrrrr!!!Tru. However, if they sold the car out from under me before and then called me to come back in, I'd be asking for some sort of concession. C wut hapenz.

Jon
03-10-09, 04:58 PM
This forum's full of whiney bitches lately. Wonder if it's correlated with the shitty market value of first gen Vs... Hmmmm

thebigjimsho
03-10-09, 04:59 PM
This forum's full of whiney bitches lately. Wonder if it's correlated with the shitty market value of first gen Vs... Hmmmm
whining about swayde headliners is one thing. I feel the OP's pain. I keep missing on track wheels this winter...

Jon
03-10-09, 05:04 PM
whining about swayde headliners is one thing. I feel the OP's pain. I keep missing on track wheels this winter...
Dealerships are businesses. They are in it to make money. Can't blame them for selling it to someone who was willing to pay more, especially when no contract was formed.

The other guy wanted it more and was willing to pay for it; can't blame him. Didn't work out for him so OP gets another chance. But that's how the world works. Look at eBay. Whoever wants it more and is willing to pay for it gets it. If you didn't want it as bad as the other guy don't complain about it.

thebigjimsho
03-10-09, 05:17 PM
Dealerships are businesses. They are in it to make money. Can't blame them for selling it to someone who was willing to pay more, especially when no contract was formed.

The other guy wanted it more and was willing to pay for it; can't blame him. Didn't work out for him so OP gets another chance. But that's how the world works. Look at eBay. Whoever wants it more and is willing to pay for it gets it. If you didn't want it as bad as the other guy don't complain about it.
still, I had a dealer that had ethics. maybe not the same scenario, but whatever. I'm not saying the dealer had an obligation, but that doesn't mean they can't be nice. the OP wasn't whining, just telling a story. I didn't see any name calling. I didn't even really see any complaining about the dealer. Seems like the OP knew that's how it goes.

However, if the other deal fell through,(The dealer was stoopid to take the guy's word that he could pay for the V) then I think the OP should try a little hardball. If he tries to lowball the dealer and it doesn't work, the OP can just buy it for what he originally agreed upon.

Let's actually read the OP's poast for what it's worth, and not just the responses, ummkay?

Jon
03-10-09, 05:21 PM
still, I had a dealer that had ethics. maybe not the same scenario, but whatever. I'm not saying the dealer had an obligation, but that doesn't mean they can't be nice. the OP wasn't whining, just telling a story. I didn't see any name calling. I didn't even really see any complaining about the dealer. Seems like the OP knew that's how it goes.

However, if the other deal fell through,(The dealer was stoopid to take the guy's word that he could pay for the V) then I think the OP should try a little hardball. If he tries to lowball the dealer and it doesn't work, the OP can just buy it for what he originally agreed upon.

Let's actually read the OP's poast for what it's worth, and not just the responses, ummkay?
I read your scenario and that's a little different IMO. You were past the negotiation process (even though you paid MSRP) and had done the paper work, no?

Our OP here was still haggling. From the dealer's stand point there was no guarantee they'd make the sale. Now if the OP had already done the deal, signed the papers, that's a different story.

I can't blame the other guy for trying either. Like the OP said, there are a limited # of Vs in the area. The other guy wanted it and offered more. If I wanted something and had the means to get it I'd do the same thing. It's not like the deal was already done.

thebigjimsho
03-10-09, 05:25 PM
Yeah, but still. The guy interrupts the conversation and the dealer takes his word for it and then turns and walks away? What the dealer should've done was check to see with the OP about a counteroffer. And the dealer was stoopid to take the guy's word that he could afford it. So now, if I were the OP, I'd make the dealer work harder to get me to purchase it.

If they called him, they know he wants it. Let the renegotiation process begin...

streetside1
03-10-09, 06:10 PM
I sold cars for quite a while at a well respected dealership. If I was working a deal with a customer and someone sold the car out from under me, I'd be very upset. That's like someone reaching into my pocket and stealing my commission money. The fact that you were rudely interupted is even worse. You should calmly and politely discuss that with the dealership's sales manager or owner. Deal with them directly and see if they offer you any discounts or perks.
You may not get anything extra from the dealership. You really don't have them by the balls, as there are more people(buyers) out there than there are V's. They had 2 people intrested in the same car in one day. If you tell them to get f***ed, they WILL find a buyer for that car. But will you find "that car" again? As someone else said, you were ready to drive off with the car for $21k. If you can get that deal again, then you're no worse off.
And as for the dealer being "stupid" for selling it to someone who can't afford it? They really didn't do anything wrong. Once the deal goes to the finance manager, they will work with several banks and try to find financing for the customer. If he is "close" to being able to afford the car, it can take 48 hours before they find out that the guy just can't swing it. Dealerships are crazy like that.
Good luck, I hope you get the car you want for a fair deal!

yamablaster024
03-10-09, 10:05 PM
When buying my V, I called the dealership and got pre-approved for the car (im 19, i was paying full price of 15,9) anywho so I call off work and they have sold sign on blah blah blah. The night before I was supposed to leave and get it (3 hour drive) The manager calls to tell me they sold it. He also tells me hey man that car was a piece of junk you didnt want it blah blah blah. So i raise hell but realize that they really didnt do anythign illegal. So i find another v, about an hour away. Same mileage but its 2500 more then the price of the other dealer. So i call that dealer and since it was still a decent price I call them, get pre-approved and im on my way to get it. But before I leave I do the carfax and carfax is like hey idiot you already did the vin check on this car. Turns out its the same car and this was a brother dealership to the other, So needless to say I talk to managers and end up getting the car for original price. And the car was not a piece of junk either, it actually now has a 170k mile 5 year warranty.

Morale- Dealerships can rape you just like most businesses out there. Sometimes you just have to take it in the ass when trying to buy a rare car like a V. I did that and in the end it worked out for me. Ah but who knows.

CadzillaTN
03-10-09, 10:35 PM
When buying my V, I called the dealership and got pre-approved for the car (im 19, i was paying full price of 15,9) anywho so I call off work and they have sold sign on blah blah blah. The night before I was supposed to leave and get it (3 hour drive) The manager calls to tell me they sold it. He also tells me hey man that car was a piece of junk you didnt want it blah blah blah. So i raise hell but realize that they really didnt do anythign illegal. So i find another v, about an hour away. Same mileage but its 2500 more then the price of the other dealer. So i call that dealer and since it was still a decent price I call them, get pre-approved and im on my way to get it. But before I leave I do the carfax and carfax is like hey idiot you already did the vin check on this car. Turns out its the same car and this was a brother dealership to the other, So needless to say I talk to managers and end up getting the car for original price. And the car was not a piece of junk either, it actually now has a 170k mile 5 year warranty.

Morale- Dealerships can rape you just like most businesses out there. Sometimes you just have to take it in the ass when trying to buy a rare car like a V. I did that and in the end it worked out for me. Ah but who knows.

I assure you at 15,9 you are not the one who took it in the ass.

ccextra1976
03-11-09, 12:25 AM
I assure you at 15,9 you are not the one who took it in the ass.

can we please not post prices paid :crybaby: makes me want to cry like a baby every time I see my balance

thebigjimsho
03-11-09, 01:48 AM
you little wussbags. I paid MSRP in '04, just paid it off, and no regrets here...