: Black plastic sheeting under car

golfin0304
03-07-09, 09:59 PM
I have a 2006 STS V8..underneath the car from the radiator to about the middle of the car is a big black plastic piece that seems to cover a large area. It is ripped and hanging down. I bought this CPO a couple months ago. Does anyone know what I am talking about and will the dealership replace it?

turnerbend
03-08-09, 12:35 AM
The only way to find out is to take it to the dealer. They will say yes or no.

pjbizjak
03-10-09, 10:52 AM
Dealer should replace it providing there's no evidence of it being damaged in an accident etc.

WillySTS
03-10-09, 12:41 PM
I work at a dealer. Once that thing has hit the ground it looks like it has been hit or scraped. What they will look for is damage to the under side of the front spoiler. If ANY is seen, chances are you'll be buying it.

golfin0304
03-10-09, 07:09 PM
Just had it replaced today. It was not covered under CPO due to it could break running over something or hitting a curb. Total price was 179.29. I could have gotten it from the gmparts site for $68 and screwed it in myself.
I think they saw me coming.

Regulator
05-08-09, 12:43 PM
Does anyone know the part number or what this is called so I can look it up online?

Onalaska
05-09-09, 08:46 AM
I have replaced mine once already. Since then I have learned to stop short of any parking lot curb or concrete wheel stop. The part you need is called the underbody defelector and for my 2005 the part number is 25802477. It cost me $50.76 from P&G about a year ago. You will also probably need new retainer push pins p/n 14093088. I think there are about a dozen pins holding the defelector on and they get destroyed or pulled out when the deflector hits something.

cocaines
05-10-09, 05:05 AM
its funny i see this thread now, for some reason mine decided to fall down today. when i looked under it, it was shredded it many parts, and since it was late at night and no dealer was open i decided to get scissors from a gas station and cut it off and threw it away. i plan on getting it replaced when i take my car back to the dealer after i install my d3 body kit... but before i spend that money on it, what is it purpose on the car, is it necassary, or is it just cosmetic...

WillySTS
05-11-09, 05:37 PM
When I used to work for Mazda, we found that if you left that piece off of ANY of there cars it would overheat at high speeds. That was from the late 70's models on throught the '90's.

cocaines
05-12-09, 02:04 AM
so i guess i need to replace mine then