: super fine crack in winshield

shadybx7
03-07-09, 07:43 PM
So i have had this crack in my windshield for a while and i have no idea how it got there. It appeared one day in the winter and is only really noticeable from the inside of the car. Im guessing that i had the defroster on and the heat cracked it but i never saw the crack form. so i dunno, anyone have an idea

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii384/shadybx7/IMG_0238.jpg

From the outside you can barely see it at all and actually i have been pulled over before on unrelated issues:burn: and the officer did not even notice the crack.

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii384/shadybx7/IMG_0240.jpg

Basically, here is my question. Im going to install a new windshield this month..
How much do these usually go for installed?
(just so i know if im getting ripped off or not, you never know in jersey) Ive searched and some guy a while ago said he paid $220.
Does anyone have any suggestions about how to ensure that this doesn't happen again?

perfect
03-07-09, 08:41 PM
my insurance covers windshield recplament for free....

Civardi
03-07-09, 08:48 PM
Make sure you ask for the updated sleeker version like Chef had on his car.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/113639-replaced-windshield-looks-sleeker.html

thebigjimsho
03-08-09, 12:40 AM
I heard Naf is looking for a carbon fiber windshield...

But I doubt you'll pay anywhere as low as $220 for a V windshield. Check your insurance first...

rand49er
03-08-09, 08:02 AM
I had a crack spontaneously occur last summer in my windshield in the upper right (passenger) side for no good reason. Cost me $100 (my deductible) to have it replaced right in my driveway.

rjoffe
03-08-09, 10:00 AM
Right at $500 for an OEM Windshield (Installed) about a year ago. Always specify OEM if at all possible. The after market ones may or may not come with the same low-e glass that the factory ships.

Where are you at ?

thebigjimsho
03-08-09, 12:47 PM
ALWAYS go for OEM. Windshields are too fickle in the first place. A windshield not replaced near perfectly will have stress crack issues...

shadybx7
03-08-09, 01:55 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions about getting my insurance to cover it but i have a $1g deductible:crybaby:

Make sure you ask for the updated sleeker version like Chef had on his car.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/113639-replaced-windshield-looks-sleeker.html

So does anyone have a Pic of this "sleeker windshield" because chef deleted all his pictures. Also maybe i missed it somewhere but was this "sleeker" OEM design or aftermarket..

Right at $500 for an OEM Windshield (Installed) about a year ago. Always specify OEM if at all possible. The after market ones may or may not come with the same low-e glass that the factory ships.

Where are you at ?

ALWAYS go for OEM. Windshields are too fickle in the first place. A windshield not replaced near perfectly will have stress crack issues...

Im located in north jersey.. $500 dang there goes my $$ for my cutouts.:nono:. I will definitely insist on OEM because i plan on driving this piece till she dies an untimely death at 320,000 miles, thanks for the tips.
but exactly what is low-e glass.,are you referring to the antenna in the windshield?

Anyone in the NYC metro area know of any reputable automotive glass shops??

Bueller
03-08-09, 11:18 PM
Check with your insurance or call an installer. It is the law in some states that regardless of your deductible it is replaced with $0 ded.

thebigjimsho
03-09-09, 09:36 PM
definitely check. it's covered in MA...

shadybx7
03-09-09, 11:07 PM
hmmm.....

thebigjimsho
03-10-09, 12:00 AM
indeed.

shadybx7
04-06-09, 05:02 PM
update:

My registration has expired so the car is stuck in my driveway. My insurance wont cover the replacement.

I found a guy locally to install a "OEM" windshield for $240.. He is coming to my house on Thursday and installing it in my driveway. Im gonna try check it out and make sure its good quality.. but don't really know what to look for. Any Ideas???. Compare part numbers?? i dunno..
i have never seen a pic of the "sleeker design", don't know what to look for

But if it looks cheap im not going to get it installed.. I got referred to him by my mechanic of many years and i don't think he would send me to a bad guy

rjoffe
04-06-09, 06:39 PM
Basically, I always look for the GM logo on the glass, If it's not there then you don't know what you are getting.