: Drag Racers

HotRodSaint
06-22-03, 04:37 PM
You have $5000.00 to spend on a car. You have 1200.00 per year for the next 3 years. What are you going to buy? How are you going to modify it? What class is it going to run in?

(Time to stop talking smack and come up with your plan.)

Katshot
06-22-03, 08:15 PM
$5K to buy a car, and $1.2K/year on mods? Forget drag racing, sure you could buy a car but a $1200 per year budget will barely keep you alive in the races. Hell, that amount will be sucked up the first time you have a mechanical failure (which happens a lot at the drags). Unfortunately, drag racing is quite possibly that single worst type of racing when it comes to the amount of abuse the car takes.
If that's all you have to spend, I'd stick with other types of racing, like auto-cross.

HotRodSaint
06-22-03, 08:30 PM
$5K to buy a car, and $1.2K/year on mods? Forget drag racing, sure you could buy a car but a $1200 per year budget will barely keep you alive in the races. Hell, that amount will be sucked up the first time you have a mechanical failure (which happens a lot at the drags). Unfortunately, drag racing is quite possibly that single worst type of racing when it comes to the amount of abuse the car takes.
If that's all you have to spend, I'd stick with other types of racing, like auto-cross.

It's not about a pro or even heavy amateur racing. Stop light racing is ok too. I posted this because of all the people who keep saying that a 16year old kid should buy a Corvette instead of a Honda. The argument they put forth is that a V8 can be built for the same money. So thats the challenge.

Personally, I'm a road racer kinda guy and going straight is what you do before the next turn. If I was to choose to only go straight, I'd make a Bonneville car instead and try and cross the 200mph mark. Hmmm...I wonder what the Fleetwood record is?

Mad'lac
06-22-03, 10:55 PM
Get a 71-74 Ford Maverick (2dr)for $300.Strip off all the unwanted items such as the fuzzy dices that came with the car. Burn the bell-bottom pants you find in the trunk.Find a good deal on a 351 Windsor and a C4 tranny. Sent out to machine shop for work $1200 Rebuild yourself. Pay off buddy rebuilding tranny with $300 worth of beer.Do most of the installs yourself. Raid the junkyards for parts. Buy the rear gears used $400 for 4:10.If you know what you are doing then at this point you might(I said Might Katshot) have a 13 second car. It may look like crap but boy does she get up and go!!!

This is by no means accurate but it pretty close to what some folks do.
And yes you can find a Maverick for $300. Hell one guy I know bought a 4dr Maverick for $100(ugly) Go the used parts route and you could build a mean car.

Katshot
06-23-03, 09:04 AM
Hey, that's possible, I know. Far-fetched, but possible. There's easier and cheaper ways to do 13's though.
Oh, BTW, I'd use a 302 in the Maverick/Comet myself. They even came with them from OEM so you could find one already to go.

BeelzeBob
06-23-03, 09:38 AM
I think I'd just buy an '87 Vette for $5 and do 13.8 and leave it at that. I can go fast in a straight line AND do the autocross... The $1200.00 per year would be for maintenance... You can't forget how C4's are getting very, very cheap...

BeelzeBob
06-23-03, 09:46 AM
P.S. This topic is being moved out of "General Cadillac Discussion" and moved into the lounge...

03EscaladeAWD
06-23-03, 05:31 PM
I guess I would buy a '88 IROC for $2500. Then save up for a old 350 Chevy small block. :D If I really had that money, I'd get a '91-'93 Caddy Coupe DeVille or Fleetwood Brougham, like Panther's. His is really clean!

Night Wolf
06-23-03, 08:00 PM
I guess I would buy a '88 IROC for $2500. Then save up for a old 350 Chevy small block. :D If I really had that money, I'd get a '91-'93 Caddy Coupe DeVille or Fleetwood Brougham, like Panther's. His is really clean!

:D :D :D

I feel soo special :D

That is really cool though.... someone remembered me and my car :D

Anyway, if you were talking about a drag car, my car would proablly be one of the last for it..... FWD and no performance parts at all for the 4.9

I thought the IROC-Z had the 350 in it stock?

oh, wait, you mean if you actually had that money, instead of a fdrag car you would get a DeVille.... neat...

Thanks though, I still think that is neat :)

Here it is real quick:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=184

Allante North *
06-23-03, 08:48 PM
Ok, here is my plan. I just bought a 1976 El Camino for $361 and got a used Cadillac 425 CI out of a "77" Coupe with a TH400 for $150.00. I will tear down the engine which I heard run very well I might add, and deck the heads, mild cam, and new valve springs. It needs a carb, Holley 750 dual line double pumper, and if i can find an intake for it that will go on as well. The El Camino looks like sh*t now, but I will tear out the junk, and put some bucket seats in and maybe some astro turf to replace the ragged out carpet. New headliner, steering wheel and a freebie Hurst floor shifter. A little bondo here and there and a cheap paint job, and I hope a 12 second car with some decent rubber under it. I may have to get some slicks since the ass end is light, and again maybe a ford 9 inch rear end.

I expect to spend about $2,500 total to get it ready for its first pass. I love my Allante, but it is time to wax it and cover it up. I had some fun running it at the local 1/8 mile track, but i don't want to ruin it getting my need for speed fix. Wish me luck as I have little experience in this new hobby, but I do have a very good mechanic friend that is about as excited as I am in working on this little project.

For a twist on the 88 IROC plans, why not consider an Olds Rocket 350 to build instead of the Chevy 350. They are great powerplants with lots of potential. Good luck either way you go.

Katshot
06-23-03, 09:42 PM
It's easy to tell you are a little in-experienced at this. If you think for even a second that ALL the stuff you mentioned could be done for $2500, you're nuts.
If you want to go drag racing and make some money right off the bat, just get any car with an auto trans, tune it up, get it to the track and get your technique squared away, and then go bracket-racing. In this form of racing, you're only racing against yourself and the clock. Consistancy is the ultimate goal. Beating on the car isn't necessary. Dial in, and just keep doing that number all night and you go home with the money ;)

HotRodSaint
06-23-03, 10:11 PM
Don't forget that the premise is that you are a 16 year old kid. So having a car down for any amount of time, isn't an option.

Suzzie next door still needs some lovin. :rose: :eyebrow:

Allante North *
06-23-03, 10:19 PM
Nuts? :rofl: Maybe! ;)

I haven't had a hot rod in about twenty years, and the Allante is quick. I can make some money by just working, and I just enjoy going fast. I don't give a rip about being consistant, and I want to learn more about engines and how they work. Hell I,m an old fart like you, that wants to explore an new passion and have some fun doing it. I can't afford to street race with the dangers and responsibilities that I have, and the track is a great outlet for stress relief.

I have a good friend that wrench's for a living that will provide some cheap labor with access to parts and information.He wants to help and he is helping his kid nephew build a Rocket 350 now to go into a 68 Cutlass. We are in no hurry, and will try to keep the costs down.

If I get serious, I may follow your advice and get into bracket racing and maybe make some money to offset an small fraction I will spend to get it consistant. That plan would involve a much better car like a GN or some Old('s) School Muscle, and some very serious capital. Until then, I'm gonna build a cheap-go fast POS and have me sum fun. :thumbsup:

Lighten up Kat and let a guy have some fun. :)

:burn:

Katshot
06-23-03, 11:17 PM
Nuts? :rofl: Maybe! ;)

I haven't had a hot rod in about twenty years, and the Allante is quick. I can make some money by just working, and I just enjoy going fast. I don't give a rip about being consistant, and I want to learn more about engines and how they work. Hell I,m an old fart like you, that wants to explore an new passion and have some fun doing it. I can't afford to street race with the dangers and responsibilities that I have, and the track is a great outlet for stress relief.

I have a good friend that wrench's for a living that will provide some cheap labor with access to parts and information.He wants to help and he is helping his kid nephew build a Rocket 350 now to go into a 68 Cutlass. We are in no hurry, and will try to keep the costs down.

If I get serious, I may follow your advice and get into bracket racing and maybe make some money to offset an small fraction I will spend to get it consistant. That plan would involve a much better car like a GN or some Old('s) School Muscle, and some very serious capital. Until then, I'm gonna build a cheap-go fast POS and have me sum fun. :thumbsup:

Lighten up Kat and let a guy have some fun. :)

:burn:

You're missing the point. You DON'T need to spend a lot on a bracket racer. ANY car will do since it's not how fast you go but how consistant you are that counts. You can be a big winner with a BONE STOCK car. It's all technique as long as you have a car that can run consistant. And a stock or very reliable drivetrain with an auto trans is the easiest way to go. I was just trying to point out a way to drag race for very little money, and actually MAKE some money not just SPEND it.

Night Wolf
06-24-03, 12:13 AM
You're missing the point. You DON'T need to spend a lot on a bracket racer. ANY car will do since it's not how fast you go but how consistant you are that counts. You can be a big winner with a BONE STOCK car. It's all technique as long as you have a car that can run consistant. And a stock or very reliable drivetrain with an auto trans is the easiest way to go. I was just trying to point out a way to drag race for very little money, and actually MAKE some money not just SPEND it.

Hmmm, I wonder if my moms '89 Brougham would work....

....Slow as hell, but the 307 will never, ever die, the rebuilt tranny now has a cooler, and they are strong trannys, RWD makes for better launches (lauch is real easy too, just jamb the gas, don't have to worry about wheel spin or anthing :D ) and it is all auto.... should be consistant running 18's or so.....maybe dip into the high 17's on a good day :D

scourge
06-24-03, 12:25 AM
At the Nashville drag strip on Tuesday nights, they had a "Run What You Brung" open night bracket racing. Honestly, I hate it. Some guy in a white Toyota Corolla would run like 13sec 1/8th mile times and beat cars left and right. People would cheer when he lost...which was rare. I prefer the fastest and if I were a kid now, I'd save up my pennies and get a Miata with a Cosmo 20b engine swap. I could afford that as a 16 year old. Plus, with a Miata, you can also do drifting and autoX. Too bad that the Miata in America gets called a "girl car."

Mad'lac
06-24-03, 02:07 AM
I swear Katshot just loves to piss in people's Wheaties just cause he can :histeric:
As for drag racing.......there will always be someone with a faster car (unless your name is John Force) It's a sport where you can have fun even if you lose the race (as long as pink slips aren't on the line).

paul
06-29-03, 09:26 PM
2 years ago I bought a 1987 225 in wheel base rear engine dragster, as a roller,2500.00,a 1976 500 Eldo engine, a TH-400, 500.00 I spent 4 months and around 2000.00 dollars turning it into a "no box" bracket racer,now it runs 9.90's @ 139 MPH and is a ball to drive! the engine is still box stock, except for the intake manifold and "zoomie" headers! a typical weekend of racin is as follows:Get to the track,at 8:30 AM or so,test and tune starts at 9:00 make a few passes to warm the car,make as many as 26 passes, tuning, tryin' things that don't work,perhaps a grudge race or 2 with friends, or a newbie sucker that has never seen a caddy in a race car, then around 4:00 set the car back to her standard tune up for the conditions, and spend 20.00 on the entry fee for the bracket program, and go as many rounds as I can.
with the gas,(both the tow rig and the race car drink mid grade) lunch and entry fee/gate admission,(grudge match bet's are extra) I normally get it all done for less than 60.00, on a good day I might even make a little,(round money and grudge match bet's) This is a pretty cheap way to go racin' and have a lot of fun for a little money,It's a little like the old ECNO RAIL class,except no index to run against. since i'm way faster than most of the door cars, I have gotten used to watchin' the guy in the other lane pass the eighth mile box before my tree starts down, but reelin' him in at the big end is still a thrill...introduce your mythical 16 year old to this kind of fun, and you'll never have a dull tome again...

Allante North *
06-29-03, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the post Paul.

Sounds like your living the dream. I would love to see pictures of your rail. When the photo section is up and running again give us a little treat would you. I am in the infancy of my project and trying to collect as much info as possible. I now have a line on a 500 for free, but there is a catch. I hope it works out either way and the end result will be a Caddy engine in the El Camino.

Cad a mino ??

eehoepp
06-30-03, 12:21 AM
Cad a mino ??

Nah. It's obvious - El Cadmino

Actually, you can go a long way for $5k in a Fox-chassis Ford. Avoid the Mustang & T-bird. Buy grandma's Fairmont, Zephyr, "baby" Marquis or "baby" LTD for a couple hundred bucks. Spend the money on the motor and swap in a 302 or even a 289 with a C4 auto.

Any Mustang hi-po part that is not wheelbase-dependant will bolt right in & there are scads of powertrain and drag parts for 5.0 Mustangs. Shopping used parts will save bucks, too. You'll have to fab your own roll cage - or you could pick up a Mustang one & stretch it 5".

Then go bracket racing.

But it still ain't a 'Cadmino.

banstyle
06-30-03, 06:51 AM
the end result will be a Caddy engine in the El Camino

That has to be one of the coolest car-grafts I've ever heard. I'd like to be kept updated on that. :)

But it still ain't a 'Cadmino.
DAMN RIGHT. :devil: