: Navigation while driving

ab8081
03-07-09, 03:39 PM
I have a 2006 Escalade with factory navigation. Is there a way to modify the system to be able to use the nav while driving? Have to stop to change address now and it's a pain!!

obxdiver
03-07-09, 07:51 PM
Yes, Its simple
You have to cut a small wire (green/white) connected to the back of the radio
This is the "Vehicle in Motion" signal to the radio.
You remove the radio, clip the wire from the plug, and put the radio back in.
That's all.
It took a total of 10 minutes for me to do from start to finish.

ab8081
03-07-09, 11:42 PM
Thank you. I'll try it tomorrow

jdjd
03-08-09, 12:22 AM
Did this really work? Is it as simple as that? Have you actually done this and it worked with no problems? Thanks...

obxdiver
03-08-09, 08:21 AM
Done it. Worked like a champ.
I can enter addresses at 60MPH
Clip the wire in the RED box shown below

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t103/obxdiver/GMRadio.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t103/obxdiver/GMRadioPlug.jpg

Rcaddy
03-08-09, 12:15 PM
Same procedure for the 04?
Also going to run video on the Nav screen. I've read the posts on how. Do you know if I can pull the video signal from the RSE however.

jordan00escalade
03-08-09, 12:55 PM
Will doing this effect any other monitoring systems?

obxdiver
03-08-09, 12:56 PM
Yes, it will be the same wire and pin on the 04. I just checked it for the 04, and it is the same as my 05.

Don't know about the video signal from the RSE.

obxdiver
03-08-09, 12:57 PM
Will doing this effect any other monitoring systems?

None. Everything still works as designed, except you dont have to stop to enter destinations.
All touch screen button work when the truck is moving.

whosurpopi
03-08-09, 08:58 PM
Just to chime in, I just finished doing this to my truck, and love it. Thanks OBXdiver.

ab8081
03-08-09, 09:32 PM
Me too! So simple and it works in literally 10 minutes.
Thanks again obxdiver

obxdiver
03-09-09, 06:34 AM
I was glad to have helped.
These forums are a wealth of info. This thread just adds to it.
Please don't wreck your Escalades trying to put in addresses while u drive.:highfive:

whosurpopi
03-09-09, 04:29 PM
My volvo lets you use while driving, yet the cadi and Jag dont let you. (volvo and jag were both ford products)

d-dash
03-09-09, 06:06 PM
Same procedure for the 04?
Also going to run video on the Nav screen. I've read the posts on how. Do you know if I can pull the video signal from the RSE however.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-1999/161812-how-navtv-nav-tool-video-interface.html

I just set up the nav tv like in the link posted and am using the video from my rse. It was actually quite easy to set up. All you need to do is tap into the dark blue wire coming out of the dvd player. Attach that to the positive wire in an rca cable, and connect the negative to the dvd player chasis. then just run it up to the nav tool.

Rcaddy
03-10-09, 05:29 PM
That info regarding the RSE is very helpful. I was curious about audio controls and functionality. So when the movie starts it just show up on the screen? What about those "mute" functions which are displayed. And what happens when you change the source. Does the video automatically disappear??
I can totally pull this off. GREAT INFO.

mbovinet
03-12-09, 03:48 PM
I just tried to do mine. I'm not sure what went wrong. Either I clipped the wrong wire or this doesn't work for my NAV setup. I've got a 06 ESV Platinum. I wouldn't think that the NAV is a different unit. But I can now enter an address at any speed. Here's the problem now. The NAV doesn't move at all now. The arrow shows me still where I had snipped the wire not where I was driving at the time. The screen is also black now like it is at night. I turned the lights on and it stayed black. Turned them back to auto, screen went back to the daytime color and then switched back to black or night time colors.

Anyone have a clue what's wrong?

If not then I guess I've got to reconnect that wire

Thanks

Mike

d-dash
03-12-09, 04:25 PM
That info regarding the RSE is very helpful. I was curious about audio controls and functionality. So when the movie starts it just show up on the screen? What about those "mute" functions which are displayed. And what happens when you change the source. Does the video automatically disappear??
I can totally pull this off. GREAT INFO.

The nav tool comes with a toggle switch. basically, when you hook it up to the rse it will show whatever is on the rear screen on the nav if you have the toggle switch on. If you switch the toggle off it goes back to just showing the normal nav display.

obxdiver
03-12-09, 06:05 PM
I just tried to do mine. I'm not sure what went wrong. Either I clipped the wrong wire or this doesn't work for my NAV setup. I've got a 06 ESV Platinum. I wouldn't think that the NAV is a different unit. But I can now enter an address at any speed. Here's the problem now. The NAV doesn't move at all now. The arrow shows me still where I had snipped the wire not where I was driving at the time. The screen is also black now like it is at night. I turned the lights on and it stayed black. Turned them back to auto, screen went back to the daytime color and then switched back to black or night time colors.

Anyone have a clue what's wrong?

If not then I guess I've got to reconnect that wire

Thanks

Mike

I would check your GPS antenna. Maybe it got unplugged when you pulled the radio out.

mbovinet
03-12-09, 06:19 PM
Which wire is the NAV antenna?

obxdiver
03-12-09, 07:35 PM
This diagram shows the antenna going into the radio.
I am not sure which coax is the antenna.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t103/obxdiver/gpsantenna.png

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t103/obxdiver/gpsantenna2.png

mbovinet
03-12-09, 07:41 PM
I'll go and try to see if I maybe pulled them loose.

mbovinet
03-12-09, 08:15 PM
I've got that plugged in and still nothing. I've also reconnected that single wire I clipped. It's still not working properly. Right now it's says the truck is at the Reniaissance Center in Detroit. It's really in my driveway just a few miles down the street in Omaha Nebraska

T-Giv
03-12-09, 08:39 PM
I am running the PAC ipod adapter in my truck. Do I find the corresponding wire in the input from the PAC or clip the wire from the original wires running into the head unit?

EXT04
03-12-09, 11:28 PM
Wow! I will do this weekend and can't wait....

mbovinet
03-12-09, 11:59 PM
Well I got it all back working. But it back to normal. My setup would not work without that wire connected. The Nav wouldn't move or update at all. So I hooked that cut wire back up and made it all normal again. I'm bummed to say the least. This is a Delphi unit. Not sure if that's the difference or because it's a 06. Nevertheless it doesn't work.

I thought about adding a switch to turn off that wire when I wanted to input an address while driving but didn't want to have the switch in plain view and wasn't sure where to really put it otherwise and make it accessible

hotrod04
03-13-09, 12:04 AM
OXB-The instructions that came with the Nav-tool says to connect the green wire to the vehicles parkiing brake switch. At the parking brake switch which wire do I connect the green wire to?? Thanks

d-dash
03-13-09, 04:02 AM
OXB-The instructions that came with the Nav-tool says to connect the green wire to the vehicles parkiing brake switch. At the parking brake switch which wire do I connect the green wire to?? Thanks

Just connect that wire to ground unless you only want to be able to view the video input while the parking brake is on. Sorry, if that is what you want i am no help as to what wire to connect it to. but there should just be two wires on that switch. one that is already grounded and one that is not. you would want to connect it to the one that isn't grounded.

obxdiver
03-13-09, 07:06 AM
Well I got it all back working. But it back to normal. My setup would not work without that wire connected. The Nav wouldn't move or update at all. So I hooked that cut wire back up and made it all normal again. I'm bummed to say the least. This is a Delphi unit. Not sure if that's the difference or because it's a 06. Nevertheless it doesn't work.

I thought about adding a switch to turn off that wire when I wanted to input an address while driving but didn't want to have the switch in plain view and wasn't sure where to really put it otherwise and make it accessible

What did you do to get it working again?
Did driving the truck around for 5-10 minutes make it start updating again?

That wire IS for the vehicle at speed. That was proven by the fact that you could enter addresses while moving.
The NAV not updating is a different problem I think.

obxdiver
03-13-09, 07:08 AM

I don't have the NAV TOOL thingy. Can't help you with that question.

mbovinet
03-13-09, 09:23 AM
What did you do to get it working again?
Did driving the truck around for 5-10 minutes make it start updating again?

That wire IS for the vehicle at speed. That was proven by the fact that you could enter addresses while moving.
The NAV not updating is a different problem I think.

Yes, driving it a bit finally got it registered again and working normally. I then went back home and snipped the wire and tried it again. I drove it around for about 20 minutes and also stopped a few times to see if it would catch up to itself. Nope. Never did. I reattached the wire and drove up the street and again it was working properly again.

It's just my luck

whosurpopi
03-13-09, 02:17 PM
Yes, driving it a bit finally got it registered again and working normally. I then went back home and snipped the wire and tried it again. I drove it around for about 20 minutes and also stopped a few times to see if it would catch up to itself. Nope. Never did. I reattached the wire and drove up the street and again it was working properly again.

It's just my luck

That sucks. When I first did mine, it was like yours, but after a couple of minutes of panicking, it updated itself, and worked great.
Maybe in Nebraska there isnt as many towers to update (I dont know anything about how the satelite systems work) and you just need to give it more time, or take it to a urban area.

blkesv2004
03-13-09, 02:49 PM
Thank you sooo much for this awesome tip!!! My husband cut my wire on yesterday. I can't tell you how many times in the last 5 years that I have had to pull over so that I or my passenger could set the address for navigation. This feature is wonderful to have but we have to treat it just like texting, don't do it while driving, allow the passenger to.
Thanks again,
J.

obxdiver
03-13-09, 05:32 PM

It's just my luck

They must have changed something in 2006 to prevent this hack from working.
Oh well. Glad its working again.

ratbike1
03-13-09, 05:40 PM
They must have changed something in 2006 to prevent this hack from working.
Oh well. Glad its working again.

Just to clarify... OBX yours is a 2005? If so I'll do this tonight!

obxdiver
03-13-09, 05:43 PM
Thank you sooo much for this awesome tip!!! My husband cut my wire on yesterday. I can't tell you how many times in the last 5 years that I have had to pull over so that I or my passenger could set the address for navigation. This feature is wonderful to have but we have to treat it just like texting, don't do it while driving, allow the passenger to.
Thanks again,
J.

This is indeed a great hack.
I am very glad it worked for you.
Did your NAV screen stop updating for a while like some others after you cut the green/white wire?
I remember mine did this too but it started updating 5 minutes after I started driving.

It's just my luck

Mike, maybe try to cut the wire again, but this time drive the truck longer.
Leave the wire cut for a day or 2 if u can live w/o the nav working that long.
If it does not start working after that long, then you are out of luck.

I would give it one more try.

Once it starts updating again after the wire is cut, it never stops again.

obxdiver
03-13-09, 05:45 PM
Just to clarify... OBX yours is a 2005? If so I'll do this tonight!

Yes. 2005 ESV Platinum
Radio Option Code "UM8"
Let us know if you have the screen update problem after you cut the wire.
If so drive the truck around until it starts again.

blkesv2004
03-13-09, 06:25 PM
My NAV screen only took a few minutes to update, as a matter of fact, we didn't even notice anything but a little blink.
Thanks again for the tip.
I am glad that I have found this site!
J.
blkesv2004

HamMan
03-13-09, 07:52 PM
Is there an easy way for a do it your selfer to remove the radio?

obxdiver
03-13-09, 08:24 PM
Is there an easy way for a do it your selfer to remove the radio?

Press the emergency Brake
Put the truck in the lowest gear
Tilt the steering wheel all the way down
Gently pull off the dash bezel by hand starting in the upper left corner and work your way to the radio
Work the bezel off around the wheel and set it aside.
Now, only 3 screws hold in the radio.
Unscrew them and the radio slides right out.
10 minute job.
No tools are required to remove the bezel.
It just snaps on.

mbovinet
03-13-09, 09:20 PM
Mike, maybe try to cut the wire again, but this time drive the truck longer.
Leave the wire cut for a day or 2 if u can live w/o the nav working that long.
If it does not start working after that long, then you are out of luck.

I would give it one more try.

Once it starts updating again after the wire is cut, it never stops again.

I can give it another shot. I drive it about 20 minutes the first time. it did update 1 time and then froze up again and the GPS light stayed lit the entire rest of the drive. Then we went into dinner, came out and probably had another 30 minutes of drive and park time in it. 1 more update and froze up again. I then hooked the wore back up and within 2 minutes it was back to normal.

obxdiver
03-13-09, 09:26 PM
I guess you could hook up a switch to open/close the wire.
Open to enter addresses
Closed to make Nav screen update.

mbovinet
03-13-09, 10:44 PM
I guess you could hook up a switch to open/close the wire.
Open to enter addresses
Closed to make Nav screen update.

I thought of that also. Just not sure on where to place the switch

The Lac
03-13-09, 10:49 PM
I'm assuming this is the touch screen version right?

I've got an '03 with a Delphi unit, and it's touchscreen. Will this work for me too?

I don't want any issues with the nav system.

Does it still show you how long until you arrive at your destination?

mbovinet
03-14-09, 12:10 AM

I've got an '03 with a Delphi unit, and it's touchscreen. Will this work for me too?

Yes, Mine is a Touch screen version

obxdiver
03-14-09, 07:52 AM

I just checked for the 2003 Escalade and YES, it is the same wire on that year radio.
Connector C2, Pin E

mbovinet
03-15-09, 12:49 AM
Well I finally got it up and running. I had to add a on/off switch to turn off the speed sensor wire so I could input my address while driving. Only issue is that the nav stops moving at that time. So it's not moving or updating all the time I've got the button pushed in. Once I turn it back on the nav starts moving and updating again. It then takes a small bit to get up to date on exactly where were at at that time. So. mine's not as cool as all of yours as it's an extra step and a delay but needless to say I can input an address at 70 just as long as my new destination is reached after the nav updates.

obxdiver
03-15-09, 06:47 AM
Good Job
As stated earlier, they must have changed something in 2006 to stop this from working.
Fine, then we will add a switch to turn it on and off.

Is your switch a toggle switch or a pushbutton?
I hope you put an on/off type rather than a momentary pushbutton.
Hopefully you are trying to hold the button in with one hand while entering an address with the other!!

Where did you mount the switch?

obxdiver
03-15-09, 07:31 AM
For some reason this forum will not let me edit the above message anymore. Something about 40 minutes have expired. Never seen that message before
Anyway, I meant to say
"Hopefully you are NOT trying to hold the button in with one hand while entering an address with the other!!"

mbovinet
03-15-09, 09:20 AM
It's a standard on/off push botton switch. For sure not a momentary button. That would have been a pain. I mounted it on the drivers side bottom of the center console, nearest the bottom of the dash. I'll get a pic of it later today for ya. I just didn't want to add it into the main dash

oldworld
03-15-09, 10:56 AM
Before I attampt............
Does this hold true on an 03?
Only with touch screen OEM unit, or the non-touch screen OEM unit as well?

THANKS

hotrod04
03-15-09, 01:35 PM
Mine works great, first time.

obxdiver
03-15-09, 04:30 PM
Before I attampt............
Does this hold true on an 03?
Only with touch screen OEM unit, or the non-touch screen OEM unit as well?

THANKS

I just looked at 2003, and YES, its the same wire.

oldworld
03-15-09, 07:23 PM
HAD SAME EXACT PROBLEM. I have an 03 NAV.
Cut the wire....
Hooked it back up.
Able to enter address BUT, Nav locked up...shows same location....some 150 miles away.
ANY HELP BEFORE I GO AHEAD A REATTACH THE WIRE??
Thanks

mbovinet
03-15-09, 07:57 PM
HAD SAME EXACT PROBLEM. I have an 03 NAV.
Cut the wire....
Hooked it back up.
Able to enter address BUT, Nav locked up...shows same location....some 150 miles away.
ANY HELP BEFORE I GO AHEAD A REATTACH THE WIRE??
Thanks

You can add a $2.69 dollar on/off switch like I did and it works fine

mbovinet
03-15-09, 08:29 PM
Here's the pic of the switch I installed

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e231/mbovinet/Stuff/IMG_7195.jpg

G-lade
03-21-09, 10:44 PM
i was looking for this wire on my 2005 lade but i did not find it i only found 2 green wires one only green and the other green and black on the big clip and 2 green wires on the small clip but no dark green with white on it so how can i figure this out

oldworld
03-21-09, 11:34 PM
On mine, both the green wires with the white stripes were on the smaller connector. There was a diagram posted as to which one of the two to cut. If you cut the wrong one, the speakers on on side of the truck will not work....then its the other wire.
My nav will also need the on/off switch like the one posted above in order for this to work.

Rcaddy
03-28-09, 06:18 PM
OBX -
You seem to know the electronics/wiring in the dash near the HU. Can you advise which wire I should tap for switchable 12v? I'm using it to power my NAV TV unit. I tapped on in the larger radio wire harness but it only sends 12volts when the hearlights are on.
Thanks very much.
Rcaddy.
BTW - snipped the nav wire...no problem at all. It defaulted to a new "Zone" on the east coast but after I reset to my zone in the PNW it found me in no time flat...maybe 3 minutes.

obxdiver
03-28-09, 07:32 PM
I am not sure about which one is switchable 12 volts.
I will post this picture of the full radio wiring schematic and see if it helps.
The red box shows 12 volts with a note "Hot at all times" on the orange wire
I can found the ACC/RUN/START schematics if that will help.
Lets start with this drawing

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t103/obxdiver/FullRadio.jpg

And here is the fusing of the ACC/RUN ignition switch.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t103/obxdiver/AccRun.jpg

And one more of 12 Volt Power Distribution. This one may help you.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t103/obxdiver/PowerDist.jpg

oldworld
03-28-09, 09:11 PM
Hey MBO:
Where did you get that switch? Does it illuminate?
Lastly, what made you install it there and not higher up, say on the egde of the console....so maybe its alittle higher to reach while driving. Was there any reason to install it there?
THANKS

mbovinet
03-28-09, 09:15 PM
Hey MBO:
Where did you get that switch? Does it illuminate?
Lastly, what made you install it there and not higher up, say on the egde of the console....so maybe its alittle higher to reach while driving. Was there any reason to install it there?
THANKS

I got it at Radio Shack. It doesn't light up as I didn't want one that did. I didn't want to place it on the dash anywhere since it doesn't look factory. I just wanted it out of the way. I'm 6'2" and I've got no proplem reaching it while driving. Besides it doesn't get pushed too many times as we don't use the NAV a ton.

oldworld
03-28-09, 09:19 PM
Good response. I will get same one at radio shack and install in same exact spot. You just used regular 20 gauge wire? 18 gauge wire??

obxdiver
03-28-09, 09:27 PM
OBX -
BTW - snipped the nav wire...no problem at all. It defaulted to a new "Zone" on the east coast but after I reset to my zone in the PNW it found me in no time flat...maybe 3 minutes.

Maybe what Rcaddy says is a hint about the updating problem after the wire is cut.
Maybe the people who's NAV stopped updating after you cut the wire was due to the wrong zone being selected after this was done.
Maybe you can check this "oldworld" since you are going back in there.
Cut the wire, and then reset your zone from the nav menus like Rcaddy had to do,.
Then see if your nav starts updating again. Drive around town for 15 minutes.
If not, put the switch in. :bonkers:

Rcaddy:
What is "PNW" ? Pacific North West?

oldworld
03-28-09, 09:34 PM
:banghead:When I did cut my wire and the map would not update, the vehicle indicator on the nav showed me moving, just moving in the wrong state....lol
The zone was correct for my state I believe zone 6. I did change it to zone 7 then back to zone 6 and it still said I was driving through a park with no roads in Washington DC.
I drove the vehicle for three days waiting for it to "update" but it never did.
That issue turned out to be an antenna wire issue that was quickly resolved with help from here. THANKS.
When I cut either of the two green wires as suggested, One disconnected the right side of the vehicle audio. Hooked that back up. Cut the other, and the map was fine, but my vehicle stopped moving..............BUT I could enter addresses while I was driving.
Solution for mine is simply add the switch listed above at the suggestion of MBO.
Thats seems the only way it will work on my unit.

mbovinet
03-28-09, 10:27 PM
I used some 18 guage speaker wire I had lieing around

obxdiver
03-29-09, 07:47 AM
When I cut either of the two green wires as suggested, .........
No one has ever suggested to cut 2 different wires.
It has always been only 1 wire. Connector C2 Pin E

Please don't tell people to cut the wrong wire. Pin H has never been discussed here. I think you tried it and it did not work.
The diagram below shows you why it did not work.

Just to make sure, I will post the diagram again.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t103/obxdiver/GMRadioPlug.jpg

Rcaddy
03-29-09, 11:55 AM
OBX - Those schematics should prove to be very helpful. LuxLife says it must be connected to the accy power right off the ignition switch. Now if I could just interpret the wire color. Since you're experienced could you tell me which wire (and color) that is coming off the ignition switch? That would be awesome.
BTW - PNW is Pacific NW. You were right. Zone 2 I think.
Appreciate your time.
R

obxdiver
03-29-09, 12:52 PM
The previous print shows shows the ignition switch feed to the various fuses.

The below print shows what each of those fuses feed with wire colors.
See if this is what you need

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t103/obxdiver/wirecolors.jpg

Rcaddy
03-30-09, 12:18 AM
I get it. Will let you know the outcome. Thanks for the help.

oldworld
03-31-09, 12:13 AM
No. not at all....never suggesting cutting both wires. I disconnected what I believed to be the right wire, and my nav stopped working. SO I THOUGHT I MADE A MISTAKE, so I reconnected that one and disconnected the other wire in that same harness, and the right side of the audio went dead. After my fiasco with the nav antenna, which you helped me with, I siply reconnected everything back to original to get things back working. This weekend, I will install a new switch as suggested above. That will do the trick.

Sorry for the miscommunication.

id4matt
04-02-09, 02:34 AM
obxdiver... seems like you're the most knowledgeable about this topic here. Let me run something by you that I came across elsewhere. I heard that the VSS wire which you cut actually assists the NAV unit in determining your vehicle location (ie. VSS lets your NAV computer know how fast your traveling and calculates second by second where you "should" be located on the map, and uses the actual GPS signal less often). If this is true, it could explain why it would take some of these trucks longer to "relocate" themselves after the wire is snipped. However, I would think that you should notice a difference on your screen. Was your position update "smoother" before you cut the wire or does it look identical? I'm about ready to make the cut!

obxdiver
04-02-09, 06:30 AM
For mine it looks identical.
I have driven out of state since I cut the wire and it all worked like it did before the wire was cut.
The screen updates about 2-3 times per second.

flyingdutchman
04-02-09, 04:05 PM
The following two links might help

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-1999/21681-need-part-number-2005-escalade-touch-5.html#post256172

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-1999/21681-need-part-number-2005-escalade-touch.html

ridetoyoudie
04-03-09, 12:33 PM
I just cut the exact green/white wire shown in the diagram in order to enter address while i drive. It did absolutly nothing to my navigation. How is that possible lol... do I have to drive around for a while in order for my nav to realize that the wire is cut?

obxdiver
04-03-09, 12:57 PM
Do you mean it stopped updating?
It should make it possible to enter destinations while driving
There are 2 green wires. Make sure you cut only one. The correct one is on C2 Pin E.

oldworld
04-03-09, 01:22 PM
:worship:If you cut the WRONG ONE, I believe the right side of your audio system will be off

ridetoyoudie
04-03-09, 03:17 PM
yeh thx obx I ****ed up the first wire hahaa i was almost sure i cut the wire but i cut it far enough back in case I ever wanted to splice them back together. Anyway when I went to cut it far back I mixed up the 2 green/white wires and ended up cutting the wrong wrong. No big deal I just spliced them back together, soddered them together and put a heat shrink tube on it so it shouldnt move. What does the other green/white wire control anyway (the one that is not suppose to be cut), I know it says "remote playback device right audio signal.." but what exactly does that mean? Thx again obx love the little mod now :drunkpair:

obxdiver
04-03-09, 03:46 PM
So does this mean that yours is now working with the wire on C2 Pin E cut?
You can enter addresses while driving AND the NAV is updating as it should?

If so..... Good Job:highfive:

PS: As "oldworld" said, the other green wire is the right channel audio

ridetoyoudie
04-03-09, 08:44 PM
exactly hahahaa thxx obx gonna try out the navi tonightt :thumbsup:

big.eds
04-06-09, 06:31 PM
anyone in orange county, CA wanna do his for me?
:stirpot:

Madmex
05-06-09, 01:46 AM
I just removed my radio on my 2005 Cadillac Escalade and my wire connector was not like the one on the diagram listed above. I don't have a plug small plug like the one indicated. I do have two plugs a large one and a smaller one and the pin that would be "e" is orange.

Madmex
05-06-09, 01:55 AM
I just removed my radio on my 2005 Cadillac Escalade and noticed I do not have the same plug type that is illistrated on page 1. I have two plugs a large one and a smaller one still bigger than the one listed earlier. The wire in the "e" spot on my plug is also orange so did not know if I should cut the wire. on the smaller plug I do have TWO green and white wires. Hhmmmm.

d-dash
05-07-09, 12:52 PM
it is the smaller plug, pin e iirc. If you look closely, the larger plug has a numbered set of pins i.e. a1,2,3... and b1,2,3... The smaller plug has the lettered pins.

rayagrella
06-01-09, 03:44 PM
I pulled my Nav unit from my 05 Escalade ESV and it has the large connector and the smaller one, but the smaller connector is actually a 24 pin instead of a 12 pin as shown. There are 4 rows of pins instead of 2. The lowest right 2 pins when looking at the connector have orange wires coming in. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

rayagrella
06-02-09, 03:05 AM
I cut a green/white wire on the back of my Nav. Everything still works fine as far as all speakers with music and the nav still works but I am not able to enter addresses while the car is moving. Has anyone had experience with a 24 pin connector instead of a 12 pin as shown in this thread on an 05 Escalade ESV with touch screen Nav?

jperdigon
06-09-09, 02:10 AM
A Piece has been made but not release for 2006 and earlier navigation systems, navigation override and audio and video inputs, before you use to have to use the unlock piece plus a second piece that would give you audio inputs, now the piece is all in one, contact me for more info at goyex@hotmail.com it is sold i think for around $350.

ross_g
06-15-09, 10:24 PM
This is an easy as pie mod all you need is a 7mm socket and a nut driver.
The wireing diagrams are good but if you are like me pics are better. So i took some pics to help you all out.
after u take off the dash bezel simply take out 3 7mm screws.
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh194/rossmanma1/car%20pics/escalade/IMG_0692.jpg
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh194/rossmanma1/car%20pics/escalade/IMG_0691.jpg
pull out the radio and remove the 3 plugs
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh194/rossmanma1/car%20pics/escalade/IMG_0686.jpg
then remove (or cut) the wire A simple terminal tool is available threw harbor freight it might be different then mine.
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh194/rossmanma1/car%20pics/escalade/IMG_0688.jpg
tape off the wire and reverse the procedure to reassemble.
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh194/rossmanma1/car%20pics/escalade/IMG_0690.jpg

rayagrella
06-18-09, 04:29 PM
Thanks Ross_G. I opened her back up, reconnected the first green/white wire I cut and then cut the second one. The nav immediately allowed me to enter while I was driving. At first the nav did what others have said and it did not update for about every 10 seconds. After driving about 3 hours, it finally started updating real time like normal. Now it is perfect!

Thanks for everyone's help. It was invaluable.

jcgmu
09-25-09, 07:55 AM
Thanks to all for this thread!

It took me about 10 minutes start to finish after work yesterday, to pop the radio out, and snip the green VSS wire.

It took about 5 miles or so on the way to work this AM to get the GPS work normal again (to quit updating every 15 seconds or so) and then it began to work like normal, except now I can add destinations in motion!

I just wanted to reply back with a success story for anyone else searching for this thread...:cool:

fouad
02-02-10, 10:20 AM
Is that also possible with Cadillac sts 2005?
Thanks alot

jnrsesv
11-05-10, 12:35 PM
obxdiver, you are the man. I did this simple "hack" yesterday and it works perfectly. I opt'd to remove the wire connector from the plastic housing rather than clipping the wire, this took a few more minutes but I feel well worth the time. I will say fellows that my NAV unit took a couple of "short" drives to correct the 15 second updates. I only drive 3 miles a day.

Thank you obxdiver!

Riverdance
11-06-10, 06:51 PM
Hey guys...Got the bezel off...Just removed the 3 screws and the radio is out...Cut the VSS wire (green and white)...Put everything back together..Turned on my navigation. It put my navigation to zone 4 and was not updating but i could put in addresses while in motion.....I had to change it back to zone 7...Drove appromimately 8 miles...BINGO....Everything is working...Hack successful on 2005 escolade ext delphi touchscreen....Thanks OBX!!!!!!

cskoenigM
08-02-11, 01:36 AM
Is there anyone in the Springfield, IL or St. Louis, MO area that can help me with installing this please?

TRosell14843
09-13-11, 01:47 AM
Can't wait to try with my 06 platinum. Will report

Mark Edward Morrison
09-05-13, 11:26 AM
has four green wires on two different connectors and on both, one is solid green and the other is green with a black stripe down it. Did the guy give me the wrong harnes or what? I have looked and looked and no where do I see a green wire with a white stripe? If I have the wrong harnes, where can I get the correct one to hook up my OEM touch navigation. Thanks in advance!!!

jnrsesv
09-05-13, 04:16 PM
Mark, our 2005 has the green/white wire. Look at the picture in the beginning of the thread and match up the holes to your wiring harness, you should see the correct wire.

Mark Edward Morrison
09-05-13, 04:50 PM
I did like three times, I think he sent me a harnes for a non touch screen 2004 or so? Does anyone know if the old harness will work and if not, where can I get a new 2005 harness? Thanks in advance!!

flyingdutchman
09-05-13, 09:29 PM
Click on the following link I posted those pictures back in 2005 They show the wire location at the instrument cluster connector and the radio connector These connectors are part of the factory harness Why would you need a harness? My truck had the factory am/fm radio When I added the navigation radio it is just plug and play after you removed the theft-lock. The only thing I had to add was the gps antenna. If you look at the pictures I posted, the Vss wire is the green with white stripe located at row A pin 4 in the instrument cluster plug. On the radio plug it is located at row E pin 2.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=256166#post256166

wake
09-05-13, 11:12 PM
I would check your GPS antenna. Maybe it got unplugged when you pulled the radio out.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Question though for those who have done this. I installed an 05 Escalade Nav into the Trailblazer I used to own. It didn't come with nav so no speed wire going to the radio harness. Until I installed that wire you're suggesting to clip I had issues with the GPS where it wasn't smooth operating. The vehicle position on the map jumped by increments rather than updated. The faster I drove the bigger the jumps in position. I think the GPS needs the vehicle speed reference to update the position reliably like in tunnels or tree covered areas. I spliced into the IPC and it operated smoothly as it should after that. I'm guessing the update rate of the GPS is complimented by the vehicle speed for a smoother position representation. If you rely solely on the GPS antenna then you're at the mercy of your surroundings like your XM radio that cuts out when driving through tunnels or wooded areas.

The lockout option is a pain but I understand why GM put it there. I contemplated putting in a rocker switch so a passenger could work the GPS while the vehicle is in motion.

wesyder
09-06-13, 08:53 AM
Exactly what I was thinking.

Question though for those who have done this. I installed an 05 Escalade Nav into the Trailblazer I used to own. It didn't come with nav so no speed wire going to the radio harness. Until I installed that wire you're suggesting to clip I had issues with the GPS where it wasn't smooth operating. The vehicle position on the map jumped by increments rather than updated. The faster I drove the bigger the jumps in position. I think the GPS needs the vehicle speed reference to update the position reliably like in tunnels or tree covered areas. I spliced into the IPC and it operated smoothly as it should after that. I'm guessing the update rate of the GPS is complimented by the vehicle speed for a smoother position representation. If you rely solely on the GPS antenna then you're at the mercy of your surroundings like your XM radio that cuts out when driving through tunnels or wooded areas.

The lockout option is a pain but I understand why GM put it there. I contemplated putting in a rocker switch so a passenger could work the GPS while the vehicle is in motion.

Your correct, the gps for the nav is not always on it uses the speed sensor mainly and updates with the gps ant every few seconds thats why it wont track smoothly without the speed input, thats why a switch is recommended on this mod, turn off the speed wire enter your destination then turn back on

Mark Edward Morrison
09-06-13, 09:25 AM
That's what I am talking about, my Escalade doesn't have navigation there for, why would my harness have the green wire with the white stripe on it when it wouldn't matter for my non-navigation head unit? That's what I am trying to ask, I just want it to work properly and don't want to put some sort of switch to have it work on the go. I can take a picture of he harness I have an gladly e-mail it to anyone that would like to see there is no green wire with a white stripe.

wesyder
09-06-13, 09:56 AM
That's what I am talking about, my Escalade doesn't have navigation there for, why would my harness have the green wire with the white stripe on it when it wouldn't matter for my non-navigation head unit? That's what I am trying to ask, I just want it to work properly and don't want to put some sort of switch to have it work on the go. I can take a picture of he harness I have an gladly e-mail it to anyone that would like to see there is no green wire with a white stripe.

The ones without nav that have the wire is used for the speed controlled volume