: Can 3rd seat be added to SRX easily?

djoleary02
03-07-09, 02:19 PM
I am looking at an '04 SRX that did not come with a 3rd seat. It does have arm rests and cup holders, but storage bins are in location of 3rd seat. Is it relatively easy to install a 3rd seat if I can find one at a junkyard?

sgilbert
03-07-09, 04:32 PM
As easy as several thousand $! It was a $1000 option in '04 (don't know about subsequent years). It is electric. Don't know if you have the wiring in your SRX.

Klei14
03-07-09, 04:52 PM
I'm sure it COULD be done, but its probabaly not worth the headache. For the amount it would cost you could probably sell your SRX and buy one with a third row.

GMJim
03-07-09, 04:54 PM
It has been done. Do a search on 3rd row seat.

orangeflash
03-07-09, 09:40 PM
The 3rd row seat in the SRX is a power fold and unfold seat. You would have to get a new body main harness or do extensive wiring reworks to make it work. Try sitting in the 3rd row seat. Unless you are a very small person you will not be comfortable at all. If you really need the 3rd row seat, you would be better off buying one that came from the factory with it. Besides, the 2 row version comes with some decent storage bins that the 3 row version can't have.

srx05v8
03-07-09, 09:44 PM
Someone here did it a few months ago - according to his posting, it was fairly straight-forward. Mine has 3rd seats and it's quite easy to take them out.; so i would think it shouldn't be too difficult to put them in. But that's just what I think... Keep us posted of the outcome if you do decide to give it a try.

Klei14
03-07-09, 11:18 PM
Here is a diagram, this might help.

http://www.trademotion.com/schematics/B/BN04498.gif

djoleary02
03-08-09, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the input everyone...I did search the forum and learned that adding a 3rd seat doesn't appear to be so easy. I think I'll keep looking for one that has the 3rd row seat already, even though the one I test drove was a sweet ride for the money.

TSS
03-10-09, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the input everyone...I did search the forum and learned that adding a 3rd seat doesn't appear to be so easy. I think I'll keep looking for one that has the 3rd row seat already, even though the one I test drove was a sweet ride for the money.

That is what I would do. People have proven it can be done, but too much hassle for a regular unskilled Joe like me. By the way, they all have the armrest/cupholders in the cargo area regardless of third row option.

LoSport SRX
03-14-09, 10:46 AM
Someone here did it a few months ago - according to his posting, it was fairly straight-forward. Mine has 3rd seats and it's quite easy to take them out.; so i would think it shouldn't be too difficult to put them in. But that's just what I think... Keep us posted of the outcome if you do decide to give it a try.
Hello, Quick question if I may. I see that you said that your 3rd row seats were fairly easy to remove. How did you take them out. I actually have the 3rd row seating but I am a single man with no kids. I really don't need them and would like to remove them if I could do it by myself. I'm sure I could move just a tad quicker without that extra weight in my SRX.

TSS
03-14-09, 05:09 PM
Hello, Quick question if I may. I see that you said that your 3rd row seats were fairly easy to remove. How did you take them out. I actually have the 3rd row seating but I am a single man with no kids. I really don't need them and would like to remove them if I could do it by myself. I'm sure I could move just a tad quicker without that extra weight in my SRX.

With fold flat seating, other than wieght, it just does not seem worth it to me. Plus, as a single man, you never know when you may be out and some buddies need a ride home. :drink2: You will be a hero.

srx05v8
03-14-09, 06:46 PM

I would think you need do two things: (1) take the 3rd seats out, (2) install the cargo management system. If all you want to do is trying to reduce the vehicle weight, I am not sure it's worthy of the effort. After all, SRX is such a heavy car that moving out the 3rd seats won't make a big difference. Spending 5 minutes adjusting the tire pressure probably will save more gas. However, if you do want to give it a try, let me know. I can send you a diagram and some instructions (for the removal part only. I don't know how to install the cargo management system).

srx05v8
03-21-09, 08:32 AM
OK, thought I should add this in case someone wonders how much is involved - the 3rd seat (at least for 2005 V8) is attached to the body by 3 screws at its rear base. Remove the screws and pull the whole thing backwards, it's out. Sometimes, I wish changing a light bulb is as easy...