: Tire Pressure Sensor / Rim question

Retep
03-07-09, 11:13 AM
I got a '04 AWD , which I purchased used last September.
Shortly after I bought a set of rims on e-bay, which came off an ( I think) '08
SRX ( 18").
Since the tires (Michelins)the car came with, were shot anyways I mounted winter tires on the original set of rims . Spring is just around the corner and I have to purchase summer tires , which will be mounted on those '08 rims.
My question : I would have to purchase tire pressure sensors - if I do decide to get them, which part number would that be ? I assume there should not be any change from the '04 model , or do I have to get them for the '08 model ?
Perhaps I don't put any of those on, since they seem to be pretty expensive and - even though quite convenient to have - it wouldn't be a "must".

Also - do I have to buy chrome lug nuts in order to mount those '08 rims or do the ones from the '04 fit ?

Thanks in advance

sgilbert
03-07-09, 01:13 PM
I would think:

1) '04's would be the most logical, if there is a difference, since you have an '04.
2) Lug nuts won't matter as they are covered by the center logo'd plate.
3) You likely will find that after market TPS's are cheaper. Discount Tire carries them. (or their Canadian equivelent)

orangeflash
03-07-09, 08:59 PM
I bought a set of winter tires and wheels along with a set of TPM's from the Tire Rack. The sensors cost about $150 for a set of 4. Sorry I bought them. You need to go to a dealer or tire store to have them re-programmed every time you swap out the tire/wheel assemblies. I checked in to purchasing a reset tool, but the lowest price I found at the time was $450. My tire dealer reset them for $10. I have found that it is just easier to press the reset button on the DIC to shut off the TPM message when I have the summer wheels on and when I put the winter wheels on the TPM's start working again. Just be smart and check your tire pressure once in a while and you won't need the TPM's. Just like we used to do before electronics took over our common sense.

Autobahn_Burner
03-09-09, 07:53 AM
Owners manual describes the way how to reprogram your TPM sensors by yourself after a summer/winter swap. It's easy. Good luck...

Retep
03-09-09, 11:38 AM
Just be smart and check your tire pressure once in a while and you won't need the TPM's. Just like we used to do before electronics took over our common sense.

:) That's what I was thinking too

Klei14
03-09-09, 01:18 PM
:) That's what I was thinking too
If you don't install the sensors, you will prob have a flat tire light on the dash, and the radio will say low tire pressure everytime you start the car.

Why not just use the sensors from your old wheels?

Retep
03-09-09, 05:54 PM
If you don't install the sensors, you will prob have a flat tire light on the dash, and the radio will say low tire pressure everytime you start the car.

Why not just use the sensors from your old wheels?

My "old wheels" is now my winter tire set - including the sensors.

Northern SRX
03-10-09, 07:47 AM
I have the opposite problem - I have an '08 with '05 wheels as my winters. The '08 wheels do not have a centre cap and have larger lug nuts that cover the exposed end of the lug. If you use your '04 lug nuts, your '08 wheels won't look so good. Coincidentally, you cannot use the '08 lug nuts to fasten your '04 wheels as they protrude just enough to not permit the centre cap from being snuggly secured (without some judicious trimming of plastic ribs inside the cap).

The TPM sensors have an expected life of around 4-5 years and so are meant to be a replaceable item. They are fairly cheap and are worth getting a set (~$250 IIRC) for each of the winter and summer wheels. IMO...

Retep
03-10-09, 10:12 AM
The '08 wheels do not have a centre cap and have larger lug nuts that cover the exposed end of the lug. If you use your '04 lug nuts, your '08 wheels won't look so good. ...

Thanks Northern. Didn't think of that , since I never really checked how the lug nuts look like under the center cap.
Guess I have to get some nice, new lug nuts for those '08 wheels.
Any suggestions where to get them , or is the stealership my only choice ?

Northern SRX
03-10-09, 09:42 PM
Thanks Northern. Didn't think of that , since I never really checked how the lug nuts look like under the center cap.
Guess I have to get some nice, new lug nuts for those '08 wheels.
Any suggestions where to get them , or is the stealership my only choice ?

I'm guessing that it'll be a stealership item - or directly through GM parts. Believe it or not, my dealership gave me a free set of '04 style lug nuts (including locking nuts) for free! Of course, I had just bought two new Cadillacs... :rolleyes:

Retep
03-12-09, 06:23 PM
Believe it or not, my dealership gave me a free set of '04 style lug nuts (including locking nuts) for free! Of course, I had just bought two new Cadillacs... :rolleyes:

WOW !! That's like saving $ 300,-. . . Just got off the phone with the Caddy Dealership - they want 12,- / lug nut. . . plus tax !!

At the same time they said a TPM Sensor is only 40,-. .

I'll get those Sensor from the dealer then, but will order my lug nuts from JC Whitney ( US$ 67,- for 24) - they come with a special key so nobody can steal them.

Northern SRX
03-13-09, 07:09 AM
WOW !! That's like saving $ 300,-. . . Just got off the phone with the Caddy Dealership - they want 12,- / lug nut. . . plus tax !!

At the same time they said a TPM Sensor is only 40,-. .

I'll get those Sensor from the dealer then, but will order my lug nuts from JC Whitney ( US$ 67,- for 24) - they come with a special key so nobody can steal them.

Wow - those sensors have really come down in price! My recollection of $250 for a set of 4 is obviously out of date.

When I bought my set of wheels for the SRX off ebay, the TPMs were part of the deal. The last set of winter wheels I bought (for the CTS) were shipped to me with TPMs incl. Taxes, shipping, duties, etc - all in, those 4 wheels cost me something like $750. If you back out the $200 for the TPMs (incl. tax), I got 4 new Cadillac rims for bupkis! :cool2:

Retep
03-13-09, 10:04 AM
Wow - those sensors have really come down in price! My recollection of $250 for a set of 4 is obviously out of date.

When I bought my set of wheels for the SRX off ebay, the TPMs were part of the deal. The last set of winter wheels I bought (for the CTS) were shipped to me with TPMs incl. Taxes, shipping, duties, etc - all in, those 4 wheels cost me something like $750. If you back out the $200 for the TPMs (incl. tax), I got 4 new Cadillac rims for bupkis! :cool2:

You got a pretty good deal there. :)
I got 4 OEM Rims , which came off a '08 and look like brand new( center caps included, but without TPM) for CAD $594,- ( all incl.). This was at the beginning of Sept 08, when the CAD $ was trading at 93 cents US.. . .
Rims came from Nevada -found them on e-bay.

Northern SRX
03-14-09, 06:14 AM
You got a pretty good deal there. :)
I got 4 OEM Rims , which came off a '08 and look like brand new( center caps included, but without TPM) for CAD $594,- ( all incl.). This was at the beginning of Sept 08, when the CAD $ was trading at 93 cents US.. . .
Rims came from Nevada -found them on e-bay.

Interesting - I didn't know the '08 had a wheel style with centre caps. Still, you got a great deal. I paid way more than you did for my '05 18" wheels back in 2005 - I think all-in, it was ~$CDN 1200. Of course the exchange rate in those days was killer (for us) and these also came with OEM tires - with 50 miles on them. Those tires alone were worth $300@ up here so that was also a deal. IIRC, I got those from Arizona. The '08 CTS wheels I bought last fall (from Minnesota) and were a darned sight cheaper. They were also low mileage take-offs (something like 100 miles) and, I had them keep the tires as I had no use for them - that knocked down the price and shipping dramatically.

On that last one, I had to ask the guy if he'd ship to Canada and then walked him through shipping through UPS - worked like a charm. UPS is apparently pricey but I find them to be reliable.

orangeflash
03-15-09, 06:09 PM
Owners manual describes the way how to reprogram your TPM sensors by yourself after a summer/winter swap. It's easy. Good luck...

I tried the re-learn procedure in the owners manual for tire rotation, but it did not work. I think that process is only for when you are using the same TPM's. I have two sets of wheels with two sets of TPM's. So I think that the RFA module needs to be reset to recognize the new TPM's frequencies. Maybe I am doing something wrong. Let me know if you think of anything that may have caused me to have problems with trying to learn the new sensors. Thanks.

Autobahn_Burner
03-16-09, 11:13 AM
Firstly, make sure the TPM's you have fit the application...
Before you do a relearn, make sure the other set of wheels, I mean the set not in use, is way out of range. For example, if you do a relearn in your garage where the other set of wheels is stored, the programming will NOT work. Make sure, ONLY the four you like to program are in range. If another vehicle with similar TPM's is in your cars range, the programming will not work TOO. The first time I tried it I had a similar issue. But - after I replaced one it worked well, so I presume it is not a matter "the same TPM's" Good luck!

Retep
03-18-09, 12:47 PM
Since the '04 TPM's are different from the '08 TPM's ( different style),
will the '08 TPM be able to "communicate" with the board computer 0n my 2004 SRX ?

I need to put the '08 sensors on my '08 rims, since the '04 style TPM will not fit on the '08 rim.

Anyone knows if there will be an issue ?

Northern SRX
03-18-09, 05:27 PM
Since the '04 TPM's are different from the '08 TPM's ( different style),
will the '08 TPM be able to "communicate" with the board computer 0n my 2004 SRX ?

I need to put the '08 sensors on my '08 rims, since the '04 style TPM will not fit on the '08 rim.

Anyone knows if there will be an issue ?

Am guessing here, Peter...

Based on my exact opposite situation (I have '05 sensors on '05 rims that work well with our '08 SRX), they should work fine. It goes without saying that the '08 sensors on our '08 (summer) rims work fine on the '08 SRX.