: '02 Eldorado Bose Wiring

Paco
03-07-09, 09:27 AM
I have an '02 Eldorado with bose system. Im looking to keep the factory head unit and add aftermarket amps, speakers and sub. I have the Rockford Fosgate 3sixty.2 sound processor and i need speaker level inputs from my bose system. my question is do i get the input from the wiring at each individual speaker? and if so which wires would it be cuz there are 4 to each speaker? or is there a central output in the trunk that i can get each input from??
Thanks for looking!!

N*Caddy
03-07-09, 10:41 AM
That head unit of yours is only a small piece of the sound system. Is only providing a line level audio signal to the RIM. The RIM is mounted in the trunk and is responsible for: switching between HU signal (radio/ CD/ Tape) and CD Changer signal. The RIM is the one controlling the volume, Bass, Treble, Balance, and so on. Even so the RIM IS NOT the final amplifier. Each speaker has an amplifier behind. These amplifiers receive a variable audio signal (in amplitude) and amplify the signal by a certain percent.
Now here is the problem, the amplifiers and the speakers in the BOSE setup are “unusual”, i.e. the impedance is NON STANDARD, the BOSE speakers have 2 ohm impedance, witch is about half of the impedance of the standard speakers. As a result you sound will be MUCH worst trying to pair the aftermarket stuff with BOSE. You will loose volume and low end sound. Is true the only place you can “intervene” in the BOSE sound system is after the RIM, (i.e. changing the speakers and amplifiers – 4 of each) so you are on to something but unfortunately due to this “non usual” parameters of the BOSE speakers and amplifiers you can not find aftermarket to pair with that.
My advice is to be happy for the BOSE system you have, is already a state of the art system. I always say you got BOSE in a Cadillac, you already got the best sound you can get in one of the best car you can get. Is going to cost you crazy money to do a conversion and you will not be happy.
Is a good thing you are not planing to change the HU otherwise you will have even more problems (draining battery, error codes, car theft lock system acting funny, you name-it you’ll got it). I don’t want to be mean to you or anything but is really not writhing to get into this. Try searching for people stories about conversion and what are the issues they experience.

Paco
03-07-09, 05:39 PM
I hear you but after hearing the system I replaced my Bose system with in my '95 Eldo its hard to listen to the bose now. In the '95 I replaced head unit and all, but in this one I wanna keep it simpler and keep the factory unit. I know ill have to get my inputs from after the rim bu do u know if the rim has the same classic GM style plug as every other one that i can just get the speaker leads from? I same as the '95? I'll be running 2 ohm infinitys with 100 watts rms to each so i think ill be ok sound wise, along with the 3sixty.2 to flatten out the oem parameters.

Thanks for your help!

N*Caddy
03-07-09, 08:17 PM
I am in the process of converting my car (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/album.php?albumid=240) from stock to BOSE. Finally I pieced together all the parts I need :bouncy:, brand new rear speakers, front speakers (that was the hard part to find), RIM, CD HU, and all connectors, relays and harness, plus some extras like NAV Denso unit and NAV unit compatible CD changer. I do have a ’95 RIM too and I can tell you they are totally different (including connectors).
Here is the picture of the RIM you have in your car.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=47740&d=1234842241
If you are looking for witch wire goes where, have a close look to this thread (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/161811-stock-bose-conversion.html).

N*Caddy
03-07-09, 09:38 PM
I was just looking for 9x3’’ Infinity speakers, I am also holding in my lap a 9x3’’ BOSE.
Infinity 6x9''

http://images.sonicelectronix.com/images/35261/main/9622i.jpg
BOSE OEM 6x9'' (imagine the speakers when new, not like these)

http://www.be2hand.com/images/upload_shop/200808/200808-08-233628-1.jpg

Frankly they don’t look at al superior, in fact the BOSE speaker look much better designed, has a good solid design. I read about Infinity having a larger cone surface by 30% than a standard speaker (supposedly being deeper) but I must admit the BOSE speaker I am holding surely does look at least as deep as the Infinity.
I bought my BOSE (amplifier and all) for $43 a pop; the Infinity is way much than that and has no amplifier. If is truly 2 ohm impedance (as advertised) they should be direct replacement for the BOSE, heck I see they even have the mounting pattern to swap the BOSE amplifier right on the Infinity, but I rather have BOSE on BOSE.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/photos/3Sixty2_1_m.jpg
That 3sixty.2 amplifier is insanity expensive, at least as expensive as a set of 4 BOSE speakers and amplifiers plus you end with a remote volume controller (well you can set to max and use the RIM to adjust the volume as in stock BOSE) but I don’t see the benefits beyond the placebo. Is just my 2 cents.

Paco
03-08-09, 03:16 AM
wowww looks like you really put alot of work into that! the nav system should be awesome. Personally I need more sound than what the bose offers but I too want to keep a stock look thats why im using the bose HU and components. Thanks for your info tho and Goodluck with your project.

timothyr
03-09-09, 08:48 PM
Gotta respect N*, from another convo he is doing the bose conversion to his car damn near perfect. As far as what your thinking Paco, its theoretically totally doable, your only issue may be the signal you are getting out of the rim, and for that you can always add a decent line driver.

My question is is the stock HU really worth keeping when you consider all of the other work you are about to put in? Just thinking you still dont have nav, and are limited as to options with ipod, or sat radio.

You can swap out the factory HU without issues as long as you move it to the trunk, and run all now wires for the hew HU....and this is much easier than it sounds.

Paco
03-10-09, 01:28 PM
Nav is the only thng that I wouldnt mind having... what car is the nav standard on? Also besides the line driver there is no extra work for the system Im running. What other work were you thinking? You were talking about adding an aftermarket HU? and running all new wires from the trunk and everything else that goes with that right? I hear ya I just wanna keep It factory looking tho.

Paco
03-10-09, 01:40 PM
N*caddy I was wondering why you said that it was a problem because the bose speakers are 2 ohms? Even if i did put in 4ohm speakers wouldnt running them on an aftermarket amp solve that? And if it didnt solve it couldnt I just use a 2 channel amp with four speakers to bring me down to 2ohms?? Im not going that route but I was just courious since electric is your major.. Im not trying to be stupid, I just want to understand you better. As far as your thinking im with you on wanting to keep it original, at least visually anyway.

N*Caddy
03-10-09, 07:39 PM
You are right once you add the amplifier you are ok, the aftermarket speakers you put should match the aftermarket amplifier, so if your aftermarket amplifier is made for 4 Ohms then use 4 Ohms speakers. Now I am not sure about the eq. part, all I found is that the BOSE amplifier has little to no lows when using an non BOSE sound source (like the Ipod). I guess you might end up with no highs once you match the RIM with an aftermarket amplifier (thing about it and you will understand why). Not a big deal, you can adjust-it with an appropriate sized capacitor (to rise the highs). On the other hand when I tested the BOSE amplifier the speaker had no enclosure (like the trunk when mounted in the car) and this can play an important part.
As for the NAV, I am struggling to get it working on my car, already failed once, but I am suspecting the unit to be bad, although it was brand new (supposedly). Now the second one is in the mail and I know it was working, so no incertitude here. The NAV unit was NEVER an option on pre ’98 Sevilles and any Eldorado. The pre ’02 Sevilles had a CD based NAV system consisting of 3 units, in ’02 they switched to DVD based unit (Denso) and those units are one unit does-it all (we exclude the RIM part from this discussion). This is the unit I am trying to retrofit (in a car made 5 years before this option), but I have high hopes (hence the money I invested so far) because it suppose to work, although I never seen it working, but that’s even more of an incentive. I am not sure about when Deville started having this option (‘99?) but after that pretty much followed the Seville path (for a while up to the new STS).

Paco
03-12-09, 02:24 PM
Its in and it sounds AWESOME! Time consuming but well worth it! :thumbsup:

timothyr
03-13-09, 07:54 PM
Congrats...I just finished a full retrofit in the 93 seville (again)....Have yet to turn it all the way up but it is clear enough that one of my neighbors from almost a block away was able to tell me what I was playing while testing....I am happy; and you should enjoy yours as well.