: bose radio has a very low volume ??

GBAL4
03-07-09, 04:14 AM
just got a 1990 Eldorado Biarritz and the stock radio has a very low volume even when turned up full blast you can barely here it we checked the fuses and they were all ok. Then to my surprise we pulled the back speakers down and found some type of amplifier contraption is this the amp?? why would they put it on the back of the speaker?? is the stock bose radio some type of preamp and it feeds the signal to the amps under the speaker? how do I test the amps out??

thanks for any input!!

GBAL4
03-07-09, 02:49 PM
would it be the amp that is blown ??

still_walkin
03-07-09, 05:05 PM
Rerun a different speaker to it to see what you get. You can also tap iit on a voltometer whn the radio is on

GBAL4
03-07-09, 06:31 PM
yea I did run another speaker results were the same is there a way to replace the bose amps with after market??

N*Caddy
03-07-09, 09:57 PM
I believe 90 BOSE setup is similar with newer years (i.e. individual amplifiers for each speaker + RIM + HU). Is highly unlikely that all speaker amplifiers went bad in the same time. So first I would check the RIM, I would also check the voltage to the amplifiers.

GBAL4
03-08-09, 01:32 AM
I believe 90 BOSE setup is similar with newer years (i.e. individual amplifiers for each speaker + RIM + HU). Is highly unlikely that all speaker amplifiers went bad in the same time. So first I would check the RIM, I would also check the voltage to the amplifiers.

I would love to check the RIM can you tell me what and where it is.....and again thanks for all the help

N*Caddy
03-08-09, 03:00 AM
RIM = Radio Interface Module
In the newer models is found in the trunk behind the rear seat.
The RIM is also controlling the relays powering the amplifiers behind the speakers.

still_walkin
03-08-09, 03:02 AM
If all falls and you think the complete factory wiring amp included is bad rereun 16awg speaker wire to your four speakers and gwet a basic 4 channel amp and call it a day. Bose has a mysterious way of doing this when you change out the facotry oem speakers with something else so if changed anything make sure you change all your stuff

GBAL4
03-08-09, 12:59 PM
wow thanks for telling me where the RIM is I will check on it how would I test it and if it is bad who will sell me one..............I might just go ahead and get a small 4 channel and be done with it.

GBAL4
03-08-09, 04:37 PM
ok I have found a series of relays in the middle of the back seat I guess I can just replace those?? Is this the RIM ??

N*Caddy
03-08-09, 05:05 PM
With the radio ON (while you hear the low sound) just measure the power to the amplifiers behind the speakers. You should have 4 wires, 2 are sound and 2 are power. If power = battery power then the relays are fine. On some older cars (Devilles) the RIM is located near the power antenna. You can see the antenna cable going to it.