: Got V tuned today

Luna.
03-06-09, 10:52 PM
Been very busy for the past few weeks, so making my way to a tuner was a little challenging.

Today, however, I made the time and went over to RPM Motors. I've known Charlie for years, so it works out well.

Baseline run seems in the ballpark for what many others got, about 470 rwhp (this could be off a little bit, as there was some load issue or something...didn't quite understand, but we're going to re-do a base dyno run in a couple of weeks). As such, I was merely expecting, say, in the range of 490-500 or so after the tune.

After Charlie got done working his tuning magic...

521 rwhp, 513rwtq.

Not only that, but the throttle position setting was adjusted and throttle response has improved (still not where I'd like it, but much better...:))

CAGS has been disabled (although, I never got it to activate...very strange...:confused:), raised idle a little bit (I'm not a fan of the 650 RPM idle) & basically just improved the overall feel of the car multi-fold.

To say I'm a little stoked would be an understatement.

On a related note, as many of you know, the Maggie often suffered from heat soak, sometimes really bad. While it didn't plague my '05 that bad, it still had it.

It appears, after multiple runs, that this blower is much, much better in regards to dealing with that issue. Charlie did 3 hot-runs and the lowest I got, on the 3rd run, was 513 rwhp.

Very cool.

Now, the question is....how long before I yank the motor, put forged pistons in, and get this sucker to 600rwhp??? :lildevil:

MReiland
03-06-09, 10:54 PM
Sweeeeet!

musclesbmf
03-06-09, 11:30 PM
Sweet numbers! Congrats.
What software did he use? HPTuners?

Thanks,
Mark

RapidRob
03-06-09, 11:30 PM
Luna,

Very nice gains!!

Is your v2 stock, or do you have headers/cat-back, etc.?

Rob

Luna.
03-06-09, 11:34 PM
Sweet numbers! Congrats.
What software did he use? HPTuners?

Thanks,
Mark

Damn--sorry, I don't know. I'd have to ask Charlie. I will follow up though, if you'd like. :)

Luna,

Very nice gains!!

Is your v2 stock, or do you have headers/cat-back, etc.?

Rob

100% stock...at the moment. :lildevil:

musclesbmf
03-06-09, 11:38 PM
No problem....
He does a lot of great stuff in the corvette world and I believe that he does use HPTuners.

Thanks.

Keep us posted of other upgrades and retunes you may do.

Luna.
03-06-09, 11:43 PM
No problem....
He does a lot of great stuff in the corvette world and I believe that he does use HPTuners.

Thanks.

Keep us posted of other upgrades and retunes you may do.

He was just commenting to me today that he doesn't want to be thought of as someone who only works on Corvettes...he really enjoys working on other cars, especially older cars.

RapidRob
03-06-09, 11:43 PM
100% stock...at the moment. :lildevil:

Now, THAT, is very, very encouraging indeed!!:thumbsup:

Congrats again!:highfive:

Rob

Luna.
03-07-09, 01:09 AM
Just took it for a drive. Now that it's evening and a little cooler...

The 285s are having trouble gripping the road; they're just chewing up the pavement. Throttle response is noticeably better, as is WOT

Wow...I'm a big fan of a tune on the '09 CTS-V... :cool2:

FYI--Charlie said that the stock tune left a LOT to be desired. Paradoxically, the '09 ZR1 Vette with the LS9 had a VERY good tune from what Charlie was saying. Very weird the way Gm worked that. Charlie's guess was that GM was under pressure to have the ZR1 put down some serious power, so they got more aggressive on the tune. Very interesting...

NormV
03-07-09, 07:49 AM
... Paradoxically, the '09 ZR1 Vette with the LS9 had a VERY good tune from what Charlie was saying. Very weird the way Gm worked that. Charlie's guess was that GM was under pressure to have the ZR1 put down some serious power, so they got more aggressive on the tune. Very interesting...

Glad your getting your money's worth. Hate to see a new car not at least be as rewarding as the modified car it replaced. :)

Don't forget the Corvette is GM's halo car and has to be king of the product line. But with the ZR-1 with only about 540 rwhp stock your knock on the door with power to the ground.

Norm

GM-4-LIFE
03-07-09, 12:05 PM
Luna,

Very nice power results! What type of dyno was it tuned on?

Are those Dynojet numbers?

I am going to get my V tuned soon as well. I will wait until after I swap all the fluids out with Amsoil before running the car on a dyno.

SG

SRT8/BMW
03-07-09, 12:13 PM
those are excellent results from a tune. When I was at Monticello-the lead Engineer for the V was honest with me when I asked him...he said they "left about 10% on the table" for those of us that would like to tune these Vs.

In the short term anyway--the tune is all I am doing to the car. Wish there was a local option to dyno tune it here in..Detroit..of all places. But I am not aware of one.

Luna.
03-07-09, 12:33 PM
Glad your getting your money's worth. Hate to see a new car not at least be as rewarding as the modified car it replaced. :)

Don't forget the Corvette is GM's halo car and has to be king of the product line. But with the ZR-1 with only about 540 rwhp stock your knock on the door with power to the ground.

Norm

Totally agree on the Vette being the halo car. I guess the idea was that GM would prefer to have the same power from a more conservative tune though, but they had to to get the power up---or so I'm told.

Luna,

Very nice power results! What type of dyno was it tuned on?

Are those Dynojet numbers?

I am going to get my V tuned soon as well. I will wait until after I swap all the fluids out with Amsoil before running the car on a dyno.

SG

If memory serves, you know Charlie as well, yes?

If not, I highly recommend having Charlie tune your car, as you live in So Cal as well. He used to tune at A&A Corvette, but he's now opened his own shop in Santa Clarita and it's friggin impressive. Andy at A&A is still probably "better" than Charlie at mechanical work, but Charlie is a friggin whiz at tuning and my impression (which may not be worth much, but...) is that he runs his business better than Andy does. Note that I like both guys and am not trying to start any dispute or pissing contest or anything; just posting my thoughts/opinion on their businesses.

I didn't ask, but I'm 99% sure it's a dynojet. I did, however, confirm that it's an eddy-current dyno. Very, very nice set up he has. That dyno does so many things, I can't even recall all of them. I was waiting for it to get lunch for me, for crying out loud...

those are excellent results from a tune. When I was at Monticello-the lead Engineer for the V was honest with me when I asked him...he said they "left about 10% on the table" for those of us that would like to tune these Vs.

In the short term anyway--the tune is all I am doing to the car. Wish there was a local option to dyno tune it here in..Detroit..of all places. But I am not aware of one.

Like I said above, the baseline might have been a little off and we're going to re-do a baseline run again in a few weeks. But I absolutely agree that I was stoked with the final results, as I wasn't expecting numbers that high from just a tune.

GM-4-LIFE
03-07-09, 01:25 PM
Luna,

I have heard of Charlie, but I don't know him personally. I am going to use a tuner that is very close to where I live that I have used in the past with very impressive results. I will post my results once I get my V tuned.

SG

Luna.
03-07-09, 01:33 PM
Luna,

I have heard of Charlie, but I don't know him personally. I am going to use a tuner that is very close to where I live that I have used in the past with very impressive results. I will post my results once I get my V tuned.

SG

Sorry. Mixed you up with someone else.

What tuner do you use?

I'm told that LAPD went under, so I don't know of any other good tuners in LA.

GM-4-LIFE
03-07-09, 02:36 PM
Sorry. Mixed you up with someone else.

What tuner do you use?

I'm told that LAPD went under, so I don't know of any other good tuners in LA.

That's ok. It happens!

I have been in contact with Dynamic Tuning Solutions located in Reseda. The tuner at DTS named Doug used to tune for LAPD and has done a few of my past Corvettes and my 2006 CTS-V and 2007 STS-V with very good results. Doug is truly a great guy with a lot of experience!

I will post my results once I get it done, but it may not be for awhile as I have been working a lot lately. I still want to get all the factory fluids swapped out before I tune it. I also got a set of Denso Iridium spark plugs and MSD wires that I also want to get installed before I get it tuned.

SG

GMX322V S/C
03-07-09, 04:03 PM
So Luna, Aero, since you guys have had a lot of cars tuned, in your collective experiences, do you expect a mileage side-benefit from your tune? And what do you expect to happen six years from now when we have to start passing our biennial smog tests? Have any of your tuned cars passed smog or do you keep a stock module or profile around?

atdeneve
03-07-09, 05:17 PM
No proper tune should ever cause you to fail inspection.

Luna.
03-07-09, 06:29 PM
That's ok. It happens!

I have been in contact with Dynamic Tuning Solutions located in Reseda. The tuner at DTS named Doug used to tune for LAPD and has done a few of my past Corvettes and my 2006 CTS-V and 2007 STS-V with very good results. Doug is truly a great guy with a lot of experience!

I will post my results once I get it done, but it may not be for awhile as I have been working a lot lately. I still want to get all the factory fluids swapped out before I tune it. I also got a set of Denso Iridium spark plugs and MSD wires that I also want to get installed before I get it tuned.

SG

Ahhh. I gotcha. Similar to you with Charlie, I've heard of Doug. He does some good work from what I hear. Yeah, will be very interested to see what your V does tuned!

So Luna, Aero, since you guys have had a lot of cars tuned, in your collective experiences, do you expect a mileage side-benefit from your tune? And what do you expect to happen six years from now when we have to start passing our biennial smog tests? Have any of your tuned cars passed smog or do you keep a stock module or profile around?

As long as I'm not putting my foot into it every 100' (that's VERY hard at the moment...:bouncy:), yes, I believe my gas mileage will go up. Not a lot, but 5%, maybe even 10% seems reasonable based on what I got with my blown '05.

Similar to the comment below, a tune should have little, if any, impact on a smog test. A few years back, if memory serves, Reed and John tested a tuned V to gain confidence that a tuned car would pass smog and the results were excellent.

No proper tune should ever cause you to fail inspection.

Agree

GMX322V S/C
03-07-09, 08:22 PM
...Similar to the comment below, a tune should have little, if any, impact on a smog test. A few years back, if memory serves, Reed and John tested a tuned V to gain confidence that a tuned car would pass smog and the results were excellent...Good to hear. I was worried that they run it fat beyond safety margins to control NOx.

thebigjimsho
03-07-09, 11:25 PM
Keep modding, bitches. I want to know everything by the time I get in mine... :devil:

undertaker
03-08-09, 12:57 PM
That's ok. It happens!

SG

we use copper tipped plugs in the boosted cars (ngk tr6's) up to and past 20 pounds of boost (which you're not doin on a stock motor) and coppers on the NA cars as well (tr55's just a lil hotter with a normal gap) I've never used nor known anyone to use the iridium stuff. And on the topic of wires.....I've actually seen C5's in the past run back to back on dynos (stock and heavily modified) with stock delco wires and msd, taylor etc. wires........the delcos put down the most power and the difference was totally negligible....(ie. money better spent elsewhere as an upgrade....but if you need wires period, you need them) same with the coil packs.

GM-4-LIFE
03-08-09, 01:42 PM
we use copper tipped plugs in the boosted cars (ngk tr6's) up to and past 20 pounds of boost (which you're not doin on a stock motor) and coppers on the NA cars as well (tr55's just a lil hotter with a normal gap) I've never used nor known anyone to use the iridium stuff. And on the topic of wires.....I've actually seen C5's in the past run back to back on dynos (stock and heavily modified) with stock delco wires and msd, taylor etc. wires........the delcos put down the most power and the difference was totally negligible....(ie. money better spent elsewhere as an upgrade....but if you need wires period, you need them) same with the coil packs.

The factory plugs are AC Delco platinums, so I just figured to go a step up and use a better firing, longer lasting plug when I get around to changing them out. As far as the wires go, I have always had good luck with the MSDs on my C5s and C6. They have to be better than the factory wires, but I will change them when I get a chance. Who knows when that will be?

SG

thebigjimsho
03-08-09, 01:47 PM
They have to be better than the factory wires, but I will change them when I get a chance.

SG
They'd like for you to think that. If they're as short as the V1s, why bother?

Vdrenaline
03-08-09, 02:12 PM
Great results, enjoy it.
Approximately how much does a good tune cost?
Do tunes void factory warranties? Or is it a dealership by dealership issue?
Thanks

thebigjimsho
03-08-09, 02:24 PM
Great results, enjoy it.
Thanks
some may get pissy. the best thing about a tune is that it's all computer. set it to stock or get extra PCMs...

Luna.
03-08-09, 03:12 PM
Keep modding, bitches. I want to know everything by the time I get in mine... :devil:

:histeric:

Jim doing it the best way...waiting to see what ranks amongst, including those that might be the best bang for your buck

Great results, enjoy it.
Thanks

Tune was $450. Generally, they run about $500. Charlie had a deal going on or something...

As far as voiding the factory warranty, I believe that issue starts at the dealership, for if they are on your side, it makes things a lot easier when dealing with the GM rep. The GM rep, however, is pretty much the final word.

Unless you did something very weird/stupid, like changing the rev limiter to 8,000 and trying to run it up that high, the dealer or rep would have one heck of a time proving that the tune caused a failure.

Hawkeye2
03-08-09, 05:49 PM
What exactly do they do when they "tune" a car? Timing, air/fuel raitios? I had a bad experience with an
LS1. I paid a shop $500 and they gained 6 HP. I thought BIG DEAL! But what you did seems great!

CadV
03-08-09, 07:07 PM
Please post the dyno sheet and type of dyno.

Thanks

thebigjimsho
03-08-09, 08:02 PM
don't post it. live in secrecy.

musclesbmf
03-09-09, 12:24 AM
Tunes are a big deal to warranties. The tunes cannot be hidden and if the dealer wants to make an issue of it, they can deny warranties because of it. As stated, it is a dealer by dealer thing, but the GM Rep can kill everything. If you eat something up in the motor, trans, or rearend, plan on warranty denial with a tune. A/C and stuff like that no big deal. When I had my Z06 and posted on corvette forum, dealers were denying for different intakes (oiled air filters), headers, tunes, etc. I'm still ready to up the boost, get a tune and open the intake and exhaust. Just waiting on more info from W4M.
The magnusson act doesn't do anything for modders unless they are prepared to fight with attornies.
Just remember this, "You play, you pay."

Just my $.02
Mark

62Jeff
03-09-09, 12:51 AM
When I had my Z06 and posted on corvette forum, dealers were denying for different intakes (oiled air filters), headers, tunes, etc. I'm still ready to up the boost, get a tune and open the intake and exhaust. Just waiting on more info from W4M.
The magnusson act doesn't do anything for modders unless they are prepared to fight with attornies.
Just remember this, "You play, you pay."

Just my $.02
Mark

Yep, I remember when one dealer blamed a set of headers for a cracked piston on an 07 Z06 on corvette forum. Seems some dealers are looking for any excuse to not do the right thing. :bigroll:

musclesbmf
03-09-09, 01:48 AM
Yep, I remember when one dealer blamed a set of headers for a cracked piston on an 07 Z06 on corvette forum. Seems some dealers are looking for any excuse to not do the right thing. :bigroll:

Yes, it's sad that even when a mod has nothing to do with what is broken, the dealers ands reps will deny because the car is not "stock".

But anyways, we digress....
I look forward to better and better numbers from these V's as time goes by and tuners learn more about these cars.

CadV
03-09-09, 03:00 AM
If a tuner knows what he is doing a tune can be hidden. Best way is to buy a second ECM and use it for the tune. Then you can leave the stock one alone and put it back in if there is a problem with the car.

Personally I only buy bolt-ons anymore from experience with what you guys are talking about.

pwrful
03-09-09, 09:43 AM
If a tuner knows what he is doing a tune can be hidden. Best way is to buy a second ECM and use it for the tune. Then you can leave the stock one alone and put it back in if there is a problem with the car.
:nothing2add:

wait4me
03-09-09, 11:15 AM
I agree that a spare ecm is the best choice right now. From 09 up the ecm stores alot of things. Program events, part number changes, Checksums, Max torque ect.. Even when you put your stock one back to stock, it WILL STILL show that the ecm was changed. .. That is why Even my car is using a spare ecm.. Then you have onstar and its monthly diagnostic checks. If the tuner dont fix some things then you are also going to be voided....

Just so customers know, they can opt out of the monthly diagnostic checks from onstar by calling them and saying you DONT want them to check your computer.

That is why when i ship out ecms, they are cloned completely fresh and set up only for each individual car and will only show programming events that are valid for your vehicle. They do look like stock and even show less max torque output to the transmission tattletale pid. I dont want to void anyones warrenties and that is the only way to get around it.
It is the only reason why i make them unreadable. This day and age, they are voiding warrenties for everything they can. So they can survive. Even if a dealer wants to fix something, the area rep is the final say. They are usually the ones that stop the repair.. A dealer would love your business. They get paid to fix your stuff.. So why would they try to get out of repairing something. That pays thier bills.. The Reps are in charge. :)

thebigjimsho
03-09-09, 07:03 PM
spares are the way...

Luna.
03-10-09, 05:57 PM
Please post the dyno sheet and type of dyno.

Thanks

Hopefully I did this correctly...

Please see attachment.

By the way, I lied. Peak rwtq was 512, not 513. :p

The truly sad thing is---I'm NOT sure that it has enough power. Does that make me pathetic??? :helpless:

don't post it. live in secrecy.

I would normally agree, but I always enjoy reading dyno results, so... :bouncy:

CadV
03-10-09, 09:59 PM
Hopefully I did this correctly...

Please see attachment.

By the way, I lied. Peak rwtq was 512, not 513. :p

The truly sad thing is---I'm NOT sure that it has enough power. Does that make me pathetic??? :helpless:

I would normally agree, but I always enjoy reading dyno results, so... :bouncy:

Thanks for posting

You have a really strong car. Doing the crank swap should get you 600rwhp.

Luna.
03-11-09, 02:26 PM
Thanks for posting

You have a really strong car. Doing the crank swap should get you 600rwhp.

Crank swap? Has Wait-for-me done some work that I missed? :D