: New Tires? Pilot Sport SP2 or General UHP

ProdigalSON
03-06-09, 02:07 PM
So I am ditching the 20's that came with my car when I bought used (Niche Wheels) one of the wheels spokes actually broke in half POS. :tisk: I was trying to get rid of them anyway because I hated the size / weight and tires (Nitto Extremes). Things broke loose ALL the time, especially in WET.

Anyway getting my new accessory wheels back to 18's, today via FedEx :thumbsup: and Discount Tire is going to do install of new tries tomorrow morning.

The manager is super cool and has reserved a set of Pilot Sport SP2's for me but they are pricey $260 per tire - total install with mount & balance is going to run $1,100.

As a cheaper option he offered General Exclaim UHP's for a $130 per tire. He said he actually drove the General's on a track day with Mustang GT and Bimmer 330 and said he was REALLY surprised at how well they handled and held up.

I'm not planning on tracking my V because she is my DD but I do open her up at WOT and push it on occasion.

Given the HUGE price difference what do you guys think since you guys know the V much better than me? (only owned her 4 months) I trust your guys opinion MUCH more than Tirerack reviews :)

Anyone owned the Generals with the V?

Thanks for any help you may have!

Unkie Barrels
03-06-09, 02:19 PM
I have the General UHP's on the front of mine. The dealer put them on right before I bought the car. They have held up nicely and I have no negative feedback to report. If you aren't going to track it, I don't see why you would pay any more.

NormV
03-06-09, 02:25 PM
I gone through a few sets per year on my C5. Can't beat the price! They are directional so you limited on rotation. They are better in the snow than Potenza 760. :)

Norm

Vecstasy
03-06-09, 02:31 PM
The General's came on my car when I bought the car. They seem ok to me. I am probably going to replace them with the new Nitto when it is time though. Check the top stickies. I think Urb posted about the new Nitto's.

ProdigalSON
03-06-09, 02:36 PM
AWESOME GUYS - that was the feedback I was hoping for :) For a $600 price difference after installs it looks like the Generals are getting my bizness :)

All the best!

rjoffe
03-06-09, 02:38 PM
get a set of these for inexpensive stock sized tires:

http://ow.ly/GRl

streetside1
03-06-09, 03:49 PM
I went to the same track event as your tire dealer. Drove Mustangs and BMWs on a variety of surfaces at Continental/General's Uvalde Texas test facility.
The Exclaim UHP offers 85% of the PS2's performance at a significantly lower price point.
I'd say if your car is strictly street driven, it'll be very rare for you to "out drive" the UHPs limits. For a car that sees the track every now and again, it may be worth it to spend a lot more for a little more tire.

ProdigalSON
03-06-09, 04:04 PM
streetside - That is cool that you were at the same Track Event. He said they had a Pro-Driver there with a Track Ready Mustang that just beat the ever loving hell out of the Exclaim UHP tires and they held surpisingly well. He pretty much said the same as you, GREAT for your Daily Driver that likes to open it up a bit. For the track enthusiast - get the PS2's.

Thanks again!

thebigjimsho
03-07-09, 10:42 PM
I have PS2s but I don't use them on the track, except in rain...

ProdigalSON
03-07-09, 11:03 PM
Well I got the Generals put on today along with the accessory wheels - I LOVE the wheels and am still breaking in the tires so on that I will have to get back - so far so GREAT. Still wish I had some extra $$$ to spring on a set of PS2's to feel the difference. :thumbsup:

Anyway car feels so MUCH lighter than the 20's and it definitely rides better since the 20's that were on there from the previous owner.

Thanks again for all of your replies!:thumbsup:

thebigjimsho
03-07-09, 11:52 PM
thank goodness you got those pigs off...