: What If...

OldDrummer55
03-05-09, 11:21 PM
What if GM/Cadillac does go bankrupt? Will the lines stay open and our V2s still come as ordered? Do they have to honor orders and the pricing at the time of the order? Or will GM/Cadillac shut everything down until the bean counters and courts straighten the whole mess out?

Moderators, forgive me if this post breaches any rules. I looked elsewhere I couldn't find a forum that seemed to fit the topic... and I want my V2!

RapidRob
03-05-09, 11:40 PM
^^^ You know Drummer - I would think it would depend a great deal on GM's suppliers. The people at Recaro and Tremec, for example, may worry that they won't get paid in a timely manner if GM goes into BR, and may withhold shipments or demand pre-payment before shipping. But I'm guessing GM would undoubtedly continue to produce cars that have already been ordered/allocated to the maximum extent possible, as long as they can equip them properly - as requested.

I don't know, but I think if I were in your boots, I'd try and cancel, and go with Scott or Tony who know where they can get you a v2 in a relatively short period of time. The only extra cost would be having the v2 trucked to your location.

Rob

Razorecko
03-05-09, 11:48 PM
Hey Old drummer, you, just like me had an original build date of 2/23 that was bumped to 3/2. From what my dealer said was either tomorrow or around next week I should get a VIN. Thats the goal is to get a solid Vin #. I'm going to give them untill next week and if nothing happens i'll have to look at my options.

Krug Ford
03-05-09, 11:52 PM
THe weather is getting nicer now.. I have 18 v's on order..

OldDrummer55
03-06-09, 12:02 AM
Hey Old drummer, you, just like me had an original build date of 2/23 that was bumped to 3/2. From what my dealer said was either tomorrow or around next week I should get a VIN. Thats the goal is to get a solid Vin #. I'm going to give them untill next week and if nothing happens i'll have to look at my options.

I haven't received a build date from my dealer, or any feedback on the order number from Scott so I don't know what the situation is at this time. Wed my salesman told me the "computer" (GM Line? VOM?) hadn't been updated since 2/26, but he expected an update today or tomorrow. He seems like a squared away guy, but who knows. I know they can get V2s as they've sold some and had a blue one in stock when I made my order. Time will tell...

Razorecko
03-06-09, 12:04 AM
^ I'll say one thing though if they have these many problem's supplying fully loaded v's in the winter I can't imagine what it will be like when the weather spruces up.

OldDrummer55
03-06-09, 12:24 AM
^ I'll say one thing though if they have these many problem's supplying fully loaded v's in the winter I can't imagine what it will be like when the weather spruces up.

I see the ordinary 09 CTS is going for 0% GMAC financing, which would indicate to me that they need to move some inventory. Our cars are built on the same line, but the financing isn't 0%. I would think they are moving the V2s as fast as they can build them, but who knows.

JEM
03-06-09, 12:46 AM
I see the ordinary 09 CTS is going for 0% GMAC financing, which would indicate to me that they need to move some inventory. Our cars are built on the same line, but the financing isn't 0%. I would think they are moving the V2s as fast as they can build them, but who knows.

GM needs to shed (in the US) half its brands, half its product lines, and something approaching half its dealers. They don't have the market share to support all the low-margin product they build.

The only question is whether all of this happens with legislative assistance or at the direction of a bankruptcy court judge.

vixapphire
03-06-09, 01:24 AM
The current government in DC would never have the balls to hold all sides of a restructuring to the same level of sacrifice, so they'll continue throwing billions of our tax dollars onto the pyre of GM's current structure. At what point does an adult step up and say, "Take it to the gaddang BK court already, bytchez"?

It only gets more ridiculous. To those that think "no one will buy from a company that's in BK", well, how're those GM cars selling nowadays while the company is in purgatory, then? Can it get any worse?

Doubt it. It's time for a court to force these changes through voiding some contracts. It's very sad, but unless we want this taxpayer subsidy farce to continue (while simultaneously the FDIC is running out of cash, so your "federally insured" deposits soon won't be insured at all), it has to happen.

vperl
03-06-09, 03:38 AM

As I remember, Scott Pratt of Superior, mentioned to me about the vin, and that was a biggie goal.

OldDrummer55
03-06-09, 10:54 AM
I guess when some of the airlines declared Chapter 11, they kept flying. As pointed out earlier, it must depend on their suppliers and creditors. As long as the parts flow is maintained and they can pay the workers, the cars should keep rolling off the line.

proexpert
03-06-09, 12:16 PM
I hope they don't stop making Cadillacs, I would like to own a V2 in about 10 months, please.

neuronbob
03-06-09, 12:19 PM
I am also worried about GM going bankrupt, primarily in terms of warranty. This is part of my due diligence in considering a V as well. I was hell bent on getting a V this month until the news reports of the last day or two.

I think that the doors wouldn't shut down right away, that it would be a Chapter 11 bankruptcy if it happened, and that the Obama administration will likely provide some kind of debtor financing. Frankly I want to give Obama a chance here, and I don't want to see GM go away, but am genuinely conflicted about what the right course is regarding GM. Further, anything we say here is just speculation until GM makes its next report to the Feds, and that's another thread for another board anyway :) .