: CTS Coilovers On A V?

mikemjohnson
03-05-09, 08:22 PM
Searched but havent really found an answer. When I have some money saved I want to lower the V, and dont want to use just springs, might as well get a decent setup.
My Q: Why don't standard CTS coilovers work on a V? They're well under half the price, and I'm not going to do anything remotely near tracking, just want to do it for looks.
Please actually provide an answer with some specs or tech insight not some forum BS-flaming.

I Guess on another note, how horrible is it to run just the eibach lowering springs with no other modifications? I've never lowered a car half-assedly like that but money is tight now-a-days being in sales so I just can't afford the 2200 dollar coilovers for the V (and wouldn't pay that much even if I could)

Thanks guys

CtsVrod
03-05-09, 08:59 PM
Not sure about running Standard Cts coilovers on a V - But if you use eibach's or H&R's on FE4's, or FG2's the rear will not lower properly unless you modify the shocks - They're auto load leveling (Nivomat) Read up here - http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/loweringkit/index.html

You should be able to get some coilovers Ground Control (uses Eibachs but adjustable) for approx $500 and you can pick your spring rates, comes with the washers to modify shocks for the drop - http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/description.php/II=715/CA=2

The stock FE4's or optional FG2's (performance) are more than enough shock with this coilover kit, especially if you dont plan on any track duty and your looking for LOOKS.

Unkie Barrels
03-05-09, 09:13 PM
If you are talking about the Ksport coilovers, they will work fine for a V. Well, by that I mean that they will fit just fine, but there is limited feedback on the application to a V. Some guys used the older Ksport setup and their reviews are on the board somewhere, but no one has run the new version (that i know of).

I have spoken to the manufacturer about this and they did tune the coilovers specifically for the V. But even if they didn't, the weight and distribution is fairly similar to a regular CTS. If you get some, make sure to let us know what you think.

Check out the thread "Ksport Revisted". It isn't too old and should have lots of answers for you.

AAIIIC
03-06-09, 01:32 AM
Even the KW coilovers aren't V specific - the same part number comes up if you specify a V6 or V8 CTS on KW's website. As Unkie said, the weight distribution is close enough that there shouldn't be a huge difference between the two.

mikemjohnson
04-13-09, 04:39 PM
well ill have an answer for you guys soon, if i decide to paint my V and keep it, ill be running some CTS coilovers on it, and will post results!

ctsv154
04-13-09, 07:53 PM
paint it and keep it? What happened to it?

thebigjimsho
04-13-09, 08:41 PM
everything is the same. it all doesn't matter...

or does it?

mikemjohnson
04-13-09, 09:14 PM
paint it and keep it? What happened to it?
nothing, i just cant stand silver. or, moreso, i cant stand not owning a black car. i like how the silver Vs look but i just dont like owning one if you get what im saying. ive just always owned blacked cars and the V is soooo sexy when totally blacked out so thats the goal!

rjoffe
04-13-09, 11:43 PM
Flat Black !!

mikemjohnson
04-13-09, 11:59 PM
i would but the price i have for the total black paintjob is a hookup price from a guy who owes me a favor. no favor pricing on flat black though, understandably

rjoffe
04-14-09, 10:33 AM
That much more work ?

mikemjohnson
04-15-09, 03:48 AM
flat black is a much more intensive process. i dont know what all is involved but i know that it just takes more. ill have to see if i can push it, esp considering the wheels i want are flat black too