: TONY'S CORVETTE SHOP In Maryland?

benb870
03-05-09, 06:31 PM
I am taking my car into Tony's corvette shop in gaithersburg MD and wanted to know if anyone here had their car tuned by them? I am having issues with the tune since the motor mount install. It seems to be running rich and wants to konk out on me when stepping hard on the gas. almost like it's flooding. :confused:

anyways I am scheduled to take it in on 3/13 for a full tune and dyno result, Keith is the tech and he said it will take most of the day.

is there anything I should ask for to be done or ensure of when the work is being performed?? :bigroll:

any help would be great. :worship:
thanks
Ben

CtsVrod
03-05-09, 06:40 PM
I am taking my car into Tony's corvette shop in gaithersburg MD and wanted to know if anyone here had their car tuned by them? I am having issues with the tune since the motor mount install. It seems to be running rich and wants to konk out on me when stepping hard on the gas. almost like it's flooding. :confused:

anyways I am scheduled to take it in on 3/13 for a full tune and dyno result, Keith is the tech and he said it will take most of the day.

is there anything I should ask for to be done or ensure of when the work is being performed?? :bigroll:

thanks
Ben

HUH?! Why would your tune get messed up with a Motor Mount Install?? Sounds like whoever did the install might've bumped something they were not suppose to... Maybe fuel, or a vacuum line?

bandit6678
03-05-09, 08:58 PM
Sorry can't help you there, where is it???

Natedog
03-05-09, 09:00 PM
yea that sounds out of whack for post motor-mount replacement... anyway, let me know your thoughts after its all done as i've been looking for a shop in the DC metro area to do a quality dyno tune on my ls2. Try and get ahold of before and after graphs as well if possible. Good luck !

TaVern
03-05-09, 10:44 PM
I had Tony's Corvette Shop do mine last year before V-Day. Keith is a great guy and will walk you through everything you need to know.

http://gallery.me.com/yuhas/100295/rwhp-20dyno/web.jpg

http://gallery.me.com/yuhas/100295/fwhp-20dyno/web.jpg

trukk
03-06-09, 10:13 AM
I had Tony's tune my car about 2.5 years ago. I've also had mine done by Brett @ FBC, and Jeff @ PSI. All 3 left something to be desired.

If you are getting a base tune with nothing fancy Tony's will be fine. There dyno is pretty nice, and you can eat off the floor in their facilities. Make sure you post your graph in SAE Wheel horsepower format. They will provide you a bunch of different formats like estimated Flywheel, and DynoJet corrected etc.

Here is my dyno graph from way back when from them. This is with Corsa, RT cats, and LPE CAI:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/25390d1164637733-highest-dyno-numbers-w-stock-cam-hp_tq.jpg

Here is the same thing but with the dynojet correction (see how fake this is):

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/25393d1164638455-highest-dyno-numbers-w-stock-cam-hp_tq_dj.jpg

-Chris

qqik4u
03-06-09, 10:35 AM

thanks
Ben

Ben - You can call me at 703 -798-5462 for detail discussion. But here is my take. As Chris (Trukk) mentioned if you are going for basic dyno they are ok. I will strongly suggest that if you are going for any complex stuff then I do not recommend at all. They do not have experience with the maggied V's - I have taken my car to them for a number of time to get my bucking issues resolved and never quite got it fixed for the amount of $ I have spent. Tavern is correct about Keith - He is very nice guy, but again maggied Vs are not there strong suite. We all in DC area are looking for good tuners.

Good Luck

Mick
Your car and mine seem lot alike - great taste

Natedog
03-06-09, 10:47 AM
I had Tony's tune my car about 2.5 years ago. I've also had mine done by Brett @ FBC, and Jeff @ PSI. All 3 left something to be desired.

If you are getting a base tune with nothing fancy Tony's will be fine.
-Chris
Hey chris, with that being said, if you had to go back to one of the three, which one would you choose? They priced relatively the same? I'm fairly stock btw and just lookin to spruce up my ls2. Thx

Keys8541
03-06-09, 11:11 AM
I had my car tuned there last year around june time. Keith eliminated the skip shift BS and turned my fans on earlier since I was moving to the Texas heat. Gave me a cool printout booklet so I could show all my friends graphs I dont know how to read. However.... My Nav unit got all jacked up, which i didnt notice until around saaayyy.... Tennessee on my road trip to Austin. I couldnt zoom out more than half way without it going blank, my A/C area would flash every 30 seconds and still does to this day, sometimes I get warning lights out of nowhere. Minor things but be sure to check your nav unit when your done. I had headers and exhaust when I went there. Didnt get much out of it at all sad to say for paying around 500. He just kept telling me what a great conditioned engine I had and it runs so good hes not sure how much better he can make it. I kinda felt like a 30 yr old housewife getting told I need new rotors...

trukk
03-06-09, 12:10 PM
Hey chris, with that being said, if you had to go back to one of the three, which one would you choose? They priced relatively the same? I'm fairly stock btw and just lookin to spruce up my ls2. Thx

Hmm, well here is my experience with all 3:

Tony's. They are BY FAR the most professional. With that said, they seemed to have the least experience. There is something about going to the drag shop that gets you a lot better tune, than going to the corvette restorer's shop.

F-Body Central. First time you go there, you see their shop is a mess, and doesn't look very professional. With that said, it is what it is, a drag shop where you come out with a lot more speed than when you come in. With that said, I had them install a few things on my car (headers, sway bars & fast inakte), over a few visits. Never had an issue making an appointment, and they went out of their way to get me done quick and on time. Now with that said, I wasn't particularly impressed with thier install job (I had no problems, but got the feeling I may have been lucky). Anyway, Brett does their tunes. He basically is a seperate entity from FBC, and just does his tunes out of there on their dyno. Anyway, I did like the work that he did. It did take him a few re-tweeks to get it just right, but I had no problems calling him up, and saying I was going to swing by to have him look at an issue. He was very responsible and very professional. I did not that I had a slight blip in my tourqe curve from his tune.

P.S.I. PSI is a small shop in the Peoples Republic of Glen Burnie. Jeff is the owner/installer/tuner. He's basically a one man shop. I really like the work that Jeff did on my car, but it was BEYOND a royal pain in the ass to deal with him. He's into working on the cars and not running his business. You basically need to call his grandma Alice (not kiding) anytime you need something, and she never answers the phone, so you have to leave a message. To drop the car off, and pick it up, I had to arrange with Alice around her church schedule. I had issues with Jeff not being there when he was supposed to be when I dropped my car off, and when I went to get the car (argh). Now with all that said, he did a very good job tuning my car, and installing my cam, and all the associated bits.

One of issue with Brett and Jeff is that one uses EFILive, and the other HPTuners (forget which is which), so the tunes are not compatible between the two. I doublt I'll go back to Jeff due to the PITA factor of dealing with him, but I'd have to have Brett completely retune my car from scratch, and I don;t think his tune would be quite as good as Jeff's.

In the future probably what I will do, Is have Damien Harney do the heavy lifting installs (was going to have him do my cam, but he couldn't fit me nto his schedule at that time, as he was moving into a new show) have Lindsay do the simpler stuff, and then have Brett do my tunes.

Moral of the story? We need better tuners in the Balto/DC area. I wish we had something like Vengence, Thunder Racing, A&A corvettes, etc. in our area.

-Chris

Natedog
03-06-09, 05:08 PM
In the future probably what I will do, Is have Damien Harney do the heavy lifting installs (was going to have him do my cam, but he couldn't fit me nto his schedule at that time, as he was moving into a new show) have Lindsay do the simpler stuff, and then have Brett do my tunes.

Moral of the story? We need better tuners in the Balto/DC area.
-Chris
I really appreciate the insight, Chris. I've worked with Damien before as he did the welding and install of my cutouts at his shop (more like a shed in MD with a lift) and it was top notch. I may give him a ring and see if he recommends anyone or just give Brett a call and see what he thinks he can get out of my rather stock ls2. Thanks again

benb870
03-07-09, 06:16 PM
Has anyone heard of Horsepower by Herman? I heard he was pretty good but mainly did work on mustangs? Also, I hear John Lund is one of the best on the east coast. He's just below Philly.

With Tony's, I am just looking to get a normal tune, nothing wild. Keith at Tonys said they have tuned over 40 V's with the maggie and since the are a corvette shop they all have the LS motors etc...

we'll see what happens and I'll post the results.
thanks

trukk
03-09-09, 11:14 AM
Has anyone heard of Horsepower by Herman? I heard he was pretty good but mainly did work on mustangs? Also, I hear John Lund is one of the best on the east coast. He's just below Philly.

With Tony's, I am just looking to get a normal tune, nothing wild. Keith at Tonys said they have tuned over 40 V's with the maggie and since the are a corvette shop they all have the LS motors etc...

we'll see what happens and I'll post the results.
thanks

Zero chance on the 40 number. Unless they are counting the 20 times Mick has been in.

-Chris

PeteZourdos
03-09-09, 08:13 PM
keith tuned my 05 V about 6 months ago. i am very pleased with the results. tony and keith are great guys. they do stuff the right way and their dyno room is very nice.

benb870
03-13-09, 02:19 PM
Dropped the car off today at Tony's, we'll see what happens. It appears to be low fuel pressure and maybe a balancer out of wack. since there is no keyway on the balance he might have to install a keyway to secure it. he said fuel pressure should red closer to 60 psi, but mine was reading around 35-38psi and didnt change with any throttle. we'll see and I'll post results.
thanks
ben

chummmma
03-21-09, 09:52 PM
Moral of the story? We need better tuners in the Balto/DC area. I wish we had something like Vengence, Thunder Racing, A&A corvettes, etc. in our area.

-Chris

check out raceprovenmotorsports in de

trukk
03-23-09, 01:51 PM
Dropped the car off today at Tony's, we'll see what happens. It appears to be low fuel pressure and maybe a balancer out of wack. since there is no keyway on the balance he might have to install a keyway to secure it. he said fuel pressure should red closer to 60 psi, but mine was reading around 35-38psi and didnt change with any throttle. we'll see and I'll post results.
thanks
ben

:bump: for results.

-Chris

benb870
03-23-09, 04:40 PM
talked with tony today and they are installing the fuel pump and should have it on the dyno for tuning tomorrow. we'll see a before and after HP #'s. I already know this is going to cost over $1500, sucks but i need the car running properly and correct fuel pressure. we'll see, I'll let you all know :)

benb870
03-30-09, 12:55 PM
Well after 2 weeks of having my car and Keith and Tony looking at it, I got it back on Saturday. At first the car seems to start better and run stronger than before. I know the tune was messed up from the guy who owned the car before me and his handheld tuning. I am pleased with the results with one exception. the car runs hard from 1st gear to 4th gear no problems. I had the car out yesterday and about 70 MPH in 5th i slowly stepped on the gas and once the car hit about 3K RPM it fell on it's face and dropped out. :ill: I shifted into 6th and it was fine. I tried this again to see what was up but i cant figure it out. It also wants to do this in 6th gear. ALL the other gears pull hard and no problems, but 5th & 6th dont want to pull hard after about 3K RPM. I am confused. I called Keith back this morning and told him about it and he was not very helpful. I just spend $1900 at that damn shop for a fuel pump and sending unit and a god darn tune and now this. :bomb: if anyone has some suggestions as to what it might be please let me know.

Keith said some crap about valve springs or something else, but of course i have to bring it back and they will "research" what it "might" be. (for a pretty penny too)

overall I like the shop and Tony & keith are nice. The main problem was solved but now i have another one, which makes me very upset. :banghead:

I will post the dyno sheets once i figure out how to scan them in and attach them to this thread. the car made 422 RWHP which is fine. I just want it to run through all the gears without issue.

CTSV_510
03-30-09, 01:18 PM
check out raceprovenmotorsports in de

:yeah:

I had serious issues with my Magnuson tune and Roshan fixed everything.

It doesn't do this in any of the other gears besides 5th and 6th?

benb870
03-30-09, 01:29 PM
510, it doesn do it in any other gears that i have been able to tell. I drive normal with it though since i just got it back. I got on the highway and shifted from 3rd to 4th and ran out 4th till about 90MPH to open her up a bit and she pulled hard and didnt stumble. I was cruising in 5th about 70MPH and wanted to step on the gas and see how she'd do and it fell flat on her face at about 3K RPM and felt like someone pinched off the fuel line, nothing. I quick shifted into 6th and was light on the gas and it didnt staff but, I am afraid to do it again at 70+MPH and see what happens. I dont really want to stall it out that fast and be "dead stick" that fast.

where is this guy in DE? also how much do you think he will charge to take a look. I am not interested in taking back to Tony's after spending almost $2 large.

CTSV_510
03-30-09, 01:43 PM
where is this guy in DE? also how much do you think he will charge to take a look. I am not interested in taking back to Tony's after spending almost $2 large.

He is in Claymont - right up I-95. I'm not sure what he'd charge, but I can tell you that they're great guys and won't leave you disappointed.

Call Fran at 302-798-4000 and explain your situation. He is the owner of the shop and will treat you right. You can tell him Tom told you to call him but I'm not sure it'll get you anything. :lol:

Check out their website at www.raceprovenmotorsports.net. There's a nice CTS-V in the "featured" section of the site. ;)

benb870
03-30-09, 01:56 PM
Thanks Tom, I will give him a call and see what happens. if he can fix it so it runs right in 5th & 6th, it will be worth the drive. :)

CTSV_510
03-30-09, 02:03 PM
No problem, let us know how it goes. It's certainly an odd problem.

benb870
03-30-09, 02:07 PM
yeah thanks, this car has been an odd problem since i bought it. I love it but it's killing me. I guess it's the price we pay for having these cars. i just want the damn thing to run right, am I asking for too much>????????

qqik4u
03-30-09, 04:10 PM
Ben - You can call me at 703 -798-5462 for detail discussion. But here is my take. As Chris (Trukk) mentioned if you are going for basic dyno they are ok. I will strongly suggest that if you are going for any complex stuff then I do not recommend at all. They do not have experience with the maggied V's - I have taken my car to them for a number of time to get my bucking issues resolved and never quite got it fixed for the amount of $ I have spent. Tavern is correct about Keith - He is very nice guy, but again maggied Vs are not there strong suite. We all in DC area are looking for good tuners.

Good Luck

Mick
Your car and mine seem lot alike - great taste

Hate to say it But I told you so - Don't go there !!!!! I have spent enough $$$ and never got them to run my car 100%. I too am in a situation where I don't mind taking it far to get it fixed perfectly.

I truly am sorry to hear another fellow member go through that type of aggrevation. Hope all works out for you man.

Mick

benb870
03-30-09, 05:05 PM
thanks qqik4u, I figured it would be fine for just a "normal" tune. nothing crazy. But now this odd problem with 5th and 6th gear, that had never happened before taking the car to them, so i know it has something to do with the tune. I think he tuned what he wanted and said F-it to the higher gears and fuel air ratio etc. I dont know. I am going to take it out again today and see if i can get it to happen again and get a better feel for what it might be. you anything about that shop in DE?

FIVEOH!!!
03-30-09, 06:44 PM
This is crazy ... and just as I was ready to take my car into Tony's Corvette Shop. :(

benb870
03-30-09, 09:10 PM
5, i would think twice maybe three times before even taking it to Tony's. call me if you have any questions. ben. 240-205-2390. i was told better than to take it there , but i didnt listen. I couldnt limp the car to DE so i had no choice but to take it there. they will spend a lot of your time "guessing" what might be wrong with your car , but wont actually be corect in doing so. Take it from me who got soaked for almost $2000.

MIKEC
03-30-09, 09:13 PM
Hey benb870 why don't u give damian a crack at it he is local.he installed my maggie and exhaust and tuned it .it's going on a year and a half now i've had no issues.in fact he calls me from time to time to see how the car is running.i plan on getting him to do my cam install also.

benb870
03-30-09, 09:37 PM
Mike,
Get me his info, I dont mind paying the money to people who know what they are doing. where is he located? thanks, :)

MIKEC
03-31-09, 03:50 AM
Give him a call on 301-943-2882

benb870
03-31-09, 10:50 AM
thanks MikeC. I will give him a call today. I drove the car to work today and see that now the check engine light has come on. also it is now doing it in 3rd gear. I am highly pissed off right now. I figured unless you mash the gas down and are driving like your in a race, it seems ok. but normal crusing and light on the gas is when the problem seems to pop up it's ugly head.

trukk
03-31-09, 01:07 PM
Hey benb870 why don't u give damian a crack at it he is local.he installed my maggie and exhaust and tuned it .it's going on a year and a half now i've had no issues.in fact he calls me from time to time to see how the car is running.i plan on getting him to do my cam install also.

Mike,
Get me his info, I dont mind paying the money to people who know what they are doing. where is he located? thanks, :)

Ben,

Damian has done work on my car before. He's a good guy. Unless something has changed, he used Brett @ FBC for his tunes. His e-mail is: A502SL0.n0sp@m@aol.com (remove n0sp@m). His shop is in Gaithersburg. Phone 301-943-2882.

-Chris