: AMSOIL In My Car

CadV
03-05-09, 04:22 PM
I swapped my Engine, Trans, and Diff oil with Amsoil today. This has usually given me 3mpg in past cars so I am optimistic with this one. I can already tell you the car is much smoother in all aspects.

Amsoil V2 Info:

http://www.amsoil.com/scripts/runisa.dll?amsoiloaf.322830494:rightpanel:16430335 99:cts,cc,w,973

GM-4-LIFE
03-05-09, 04:34 PM
CadV,

It's funny that you posted this up. I am planning on swapping my engine oil and rear diff with Amsoil today.

As far as the tranny goes, how did you swap it? Did you have a shop flush out the Dexron VI and replace it with the Amsoil ATF?

I am kind of thinking of just leaving the tranny alone being that the Dexron VI GM fluid is fully synthetic anyway and there isn't contamination in the tranny like there is in the engine.

Also, which oil filter did you go with? I got the Amsoil EA oil filter.

Did it take 6 quarts or a bit more in the crankcase?

SG

CadV
03-05-09, 04:53 PM
As far as the tranny goes, how did you swap it? Did you have a shop flush out the Dexron VI and replace it with the Amsoil ATF?

Usually I would do this myself but I was told you have to drop the pan just like in my STS-V. I have a good service guy at Sewell Cadillac in Grapevine, TX and he gave me a good price to do all 3 swaps.

Yes they did a flush and they speculated I would end up with 90% Amsoil 10% Dexron VI. Yes I used the Amsoil ATF.

It took 13 qts to accomplish. I gave them 14 qts to be safe.

I am kind of thinking of just leaving the tranny alone being that the Dexron VI GM fluid is fully synthetic anyway and there isn't contamination in the tranny like there is in the engine.

I was real close to making the same call. The only reason I did it was I had a bunch of ATF fluid left over from not changing it in my STS-V.

Also, which oil filter did you go with? I got the Amsoil EA oil filter.

Did it take 6 quarts or a bit more in the crankcase?

SG

They released a new EA filter for our car EAo50. It is a shorter one but I am hoping to find a longer filter like in my 05 V. I always used EAo30 but comparing it to the EAo50 the 50 was smaller.

I ran the EA filter in my STS-V and got 20k miles out of the oil. I was really impressed with how clean the oil still was when the lease was up.

I am a Amsoil customer for life.

GM-4-LIFE
03-05-09, 05:39 PM
I just called my local dealer's express lube and they are able to swap all the tranny fluid out, but they said they can't do it from under the hood. The car has to be raised up and they have to hook up the lines at the tranny itself to do the entire swap.

I got Amsoil 0w30, EAO50 oil filter, Amsoil Universal ATF and the Amsoil Severe Duty Gear Oil 75w90 with the friction modifier bottle.

SG

rjoffe
03-05-09, 06:22 PM
Amsoil Severe Duty Gear Oil 75w90 with the friction modifier bottle.

SG

Just a clarification, is there a separate additive required? or is it just part of the Sever Duty Gear Oil ?

GM-4-LIFE
03-05-09, 06:36 PM
Just a clarification, is there a separate additive required? or is it just part of the Sever Duty Gear Oil ?

I got the additive from Amsoil to put in with the Severe Duty Gear Oil. On the Severe Duty Gear Oil bottle, it says to use the additive in case there is differential chatter. I am putting the additive in just so I don't have to worry about it.

2 quarts of the Severe Duty Gear Oil and 1 bottle of the additive.

SG

rjoffe
03-05-09, 06:39 PM
Urgg,

I jsut got an order in (yesterday), and did not get the additive. :(

Do you have their part # ?

GM-4-LIFE
03-05-09, 06:50 PM
Urgg,

Get a bottle of Slip Lockô Differential Additive (ADA)

SG

rjoffe
03-05-09, 06:55 PM
Dang !

They want as much for shipping as for the bottle itself

CadV
03-05-09, 06:56 PM
Urgg,

They actually state you don't need the additive. I have used just the oil in my last 2 cars and did not have chatter. To cover themselves they say get the additive if you get chatter.

GM-4-LIFE
03-05-09, 06:57 PM
They actually state you don't need the additive. I have used just the oil in my last 2 cars and did not have chatter. To cover themselves they say get the additive if you get chatter.

I heard the same thing from Amsoil tech support that the Severe Gear Gear Oil has the additive in it, but I don't want to take any chances.

SG

CadV
03-05-09, 07:02 PM
I heard the same thing from Amsoil tech support that the Severe Gear Gear Oil has the additive in it, but I don't want to take any chances.

SG

Smart

GM-4-LIFE
03-05-09, 07:04 PM
Smart

Thank you! How much did you get charged for your entire service?

SG

CadV
03-05-09, 10:47 PM
Thank you! How much did you get charged for your entire service?

SG

200 for the labor. 100 for diff and engine and 100 for the trans flush.

With the oil and everything it was like 458.

GMX322V S/C
03-06-09, 01:06 AM
Please keep us posted on any MPG increases--thanks in advance!

GM-4-LIFE
03-06-09, 11:25 AM
200 for the labor. 100 for diff and engine and 100 for the trans flush.

With the oil and everything it was like 458.

CadV,

I hope my dealer is around the same. I know labor for the oil change is around $15.00 since I am supplying all the lubricants. I think they are charging in the low $100.00 range for the tranny fluid swap. I didn't ask about the rear end gear oil swap.

I forgot to ask you how many miles you had on your V when you swapped all your fluids out.

I have almost 1,700 miles and I checked my dipstick a couple days ago and the oil was already kind of dirty, so I am going to change everything out most likely next week as I am waiting for the ATF. I am ordering 4 gallons of the Amsoil ATF on Monday. Amsoil ATF has been unavailable to us here in California due to labeling issues according to Amsoil's website. Amsoil announced that ATF for customers in California will be available on Monday, March 9, 2009.

SG

CadV
03-06-09, 02:29 PM
I forgot to ask you how many miles you had on your V when you swapped all your fluids out.

I had 2600 miles on my car. I would of done it sooner but was waiting on the new EA filter for our car.

GM-4-LIFE
03-06-09, 03:21 PM
I wanted to do it right at 1,000 miles, but I couldn't get the ATF here in CA. I had the EA oil filters. The EAO47 and EAO50 oil filters are identical. Amsoil tech stated that they just changed the part number and re-released them so people don't use them on the GM 3.6L V6 engines.

I should be able to get everything swapped out before I hit 2,000 miles and even at 2,000 miles, I am early enough.

SG