: Quick Help! Transmission advice!

T.G.
03-05-09, 02:29 PM
I've got an 04 cts-v that needs a replacement transmission

GMPP approved the replacement

There are none in stock at GM

TREMEC says it will be sometime in April before any are made (much less shipped)

GMPP has found a factory "take out" with "12 miles on it" from a "factory damaged vehicle" They can have it for me in 3 days.

I'm waiting for them to tell me what year model vehicle it is out of.

Should I hold out for the new transmission or go with the "take out"?

I have a second vehicle that I'm driving now, so I don't need a rental, but I want my V back.

I'm immediately taking the V to get a maggie put on when I pick it up from the dealer so my GMPP warranty will be out the window as it pertains to my drivetrain at that point.

Basically, what it boils down to is, if this "take out" transmission is out of an 06-07 model, will I be safe?

CadiBlk
03-05-09, 02:42 PM
I was going to say take the tranny they can get you and if you have problems your warranty will cover you and then you go and throw out that you are putting the ultimate warranty voider on, so my advice is moot.

darkman
03-05-09, 04:00 PM
I don't see a problem, the Tremec's improved with minor internal changes almost every year.

T.G.
03-05-09, 04:22 PM
Well, it doesn't seem like anyone with an 06 or newer cts-v has had this sixth gear problem. I just hate to have the same thing happen again if I get an old tranny.

T.G.
03-05-09, 04:40 PM
Ok, so the transmission that I was supposed to get is now unavailable, but they have several "remanufactured" transmissions that have been "built to factory spec"

What the heck does that mean? Is anyone here running a remanufactured transmission?

Washin
03-05-09, 04:48 PM
I would take the reman on the condition that they give you the old defective unit that came out of the car. Then either have it rebuilt and keep it as a spare or sell it as is and get some extra $$$.

T.G.
03-05-09, 05:04 PM
I'll ask, but my suspicion is that there is a core charge on their end - since the supplier obviously remanufactures these things.

CadiBlk
03-05-09, 06:57 PM
Ya, they won't give you the old tranny, if they swap it out for warranty. Someone could run a nice lil business off of that. Take it in to get a new tranny every so often and then rebuild the "old" one and sell it on ebay.

ctsv154
03-05-09, 08:30 PM
Ok, so the transmission that I was supposed to get is now unavailable, but they have several "remanufactured" transmissions that have been "built to factory spec"

What the heck does that mean? Is anyone here running a remanufactured transmission?

I was. I put several thousand miles on it and had to replace 3rd and 4th gears as well as the 3-4 syncro assembly including the cones, blocker ring, frictions, and the reverse lockout on my own dime. What pissed me off was I have never ever missed 4th gear and the teeth where the syncro engages 4th were chewed up like I grind 4th all the time. All the teeth were rounded off and it looked like crap. It also had spots were metal had been pressed between the teeth but the gear it meshes with didn't. Which tells me that something broke but they didn't replace 4th. 4th should have been replaced the first time it was rebuilt but wasn't. Personally I might wait on a new trans but I know how hard it is not being with the V too. Chances are you get a good one and not have the same problems I had with mine but you never know!

It cost me a grand in parts just to have the trans rebuilt. 3rd and 4th gears were the high dollar items with 3rd being in the $300 dollar range and 4th being in the $200 if I remember correctly. Thanks again Luke for getting the gears and swapping the damaged one! I really appreciate that! I added a few little extra things like billet keys and bronze fork pads. Labor to rebuild with my parts was $200. Its nice to know people.

All in all it was right at about $1200 or $1300 to get it back together.

T.G.
03-05-09, 09:19 PM
What I was told about the transmission that is avaible is this - it was never put in a car. It was "placed on a dyno and then partially disassembled for diagnostic purposes by GM engineers" "it was then rebuilt to oem spec".

What kind of story is this???

T.G.
03-05-09, 09:21 PM
What worries me about waiting is all the talk about gm going bankrupt....

T.G.
03-05-09, 09:44 PM
Supposedly, I'll get a 12 month 12k mile warrranty from the parts supplier, which would be in addition to my gmpp warranty. However, none of that might matter once I put my maggie on.

Hell, I just want to know what you guys would do. I can wait a month an a half and get a new one, or get a "remanufactured" one that's supposedly never been put in a car now.

ctsv154
03-05-09, 10:47 PM
It depends on what it was on the dyno for. Was it on there to test for vibrations and noise or was it on there to see how much power it would take before it broke? I know I said I would wait on a new one but being in your shoes with a maggie on hand ready to go on the car and all your waiting on is the trans, I would do the reman and take the blower off if you had any problems with it. But thats just me. I'm really impatient!

Cowan480
03-05-09, 10:48 PM
Here is what I would do.

Get "any" tranny ASAP so you can have the car back, and put the maggie on the self for a year or sell it now.

If this was not an option then I would do this.

Get "any" tranny ASAP so you can have the car back, and then sell car. Buy back another V without warranty and put little maggie on.

T.G.
03-06-09, 08:15 AM
Well, I really like what I've got in this car now - New updated diff, 33k miles 4 year 48k warranty, and some kind of newish trans. I want to keep what I've got, because there's no guarantee that if I get another one, I won't be back fixing the same stuff all over again.

T.G.
03-06-09, 10:13 AM
Well, I talked to the parts supplier who has access to the transmission. He tells me that it was used in a gm "test track vehicle". He cannot tell me anything else, other than that the transmission was inspected and then serviced by gm technicians after it was used for testing. I've asked that he look to see when the transmission was originally built. If this is some leftover track / testing transmission from an original '04, I don't think I want it.

gtg732w
06-08-09, 08:58 PM
I would talk to the dealer and see if the tranny that Tremec will be sending is new or not... they may send you a rebuilt one also.

If it were me (and I want to keep my car for a long, long time) I would hold out on a brand new transmission direct from Tremec if possible, and I would feel most comfortable about that route. I know it would suck not having the V (I waited two full weeks for a new differential to ship and it was torture), but my thinking is that new parts will last longer than used parts (on average) and the lower the miles on each component of the car will help keep it like new for longer.

Hopefully that helps.