: Brake option choice

crankedupforit
03-05-09, 03:28 PM
Any thoughts on the these options. A set of slotted floaters for the front for $850, keeping the rears rotors stock, or $650 for the slotted and drilled set of 4 (Ala UUC). Would you look like a poser if only the front rotors were slotted? And why does everyone badmouth drilled rotors. I hear they stress crack, but there are plenty of big name brake guys like Alcon and Brembo that still sell drilled rotors for the big brake 2 piece systems. I intend to track the car a few times a year. Does the 2 piece slotted front and the stock rears have any brake balance issues?

trukk
03-05-09, 05:38 PM
I think how it looks is personal taste. I crack my drilled rotors up front, and repalced them with the OEM solids. I still have the drilled ones in the rear. Some might think it looks retarted, but it doesn't bother me.

I might look at the UUC 2 piece fronts once I eat through my current front rotors. A lot will depend on the cost of the replacement blanks. The OEM rotors are pretty cheap and pretty rugged.

-Chris

thebigjimsho
03-06-09, 01:51 AM
I think the replacement rotors for a 2 piece is between $150-$200 per rotor...

AAIIIC
03-06-09, 05:03 PM
Would you look like a poser if only the front rotors were slotted?
Only if the person looking at your "mismatched" rotors didn't that the fronts do the vast majority of the work and thus may not be the same as the rears.

And why does everyone badmouth drilled rotors. I hear they stress crack, but there are plenty of big name brake guys like Alcon and Brembo that still sell drilled rotors for the big brake 2 piece systems.
That's because there are plenty of ballers who want to look cool so they put expensive cross-drilled rotor BBKs on their street cars. Go to a track day and you will find very few cars with cross-drilled rotors. I have a buddy that works at a Porsche tuner (he's been the co-driver on the Fairfield Country Motorsports 911TT that has won the last 5 One Laps of America) and he said the serious track day guys and PCA club racers replace the factory cross-drilled rotors with plain rotors.

I intend to track the car a few times a year. Does the 2 piece slotted front and the stock rears have any brake balance issues?
Assuming the 2-piece rotors will be stock size (as I'm sure they're planned to be), no.