: Wheel Bearing or Differential noise??

pcguy760
03-05-09, 03:24 PM
Well I finally got around to changing the front differential oil today with Mobil1 and according to the instructions in this forum and I still have that wierd low whine. Seems like the whine increases with speed and slows down as I slow down. Also if I take a wide left turn as some speed, the whine kinda fades off and then slowly comes back once I am driving straight again.

So I took it to an auto center here and did a full checkup on the vehicle. All the said was that the PASSENGER SIDE wheel bearing was kinda loose and nothing about the DRIVER SIDE wheel bearing (which I though was the cause)...

So now I am confused since the noise sounds like its coming more from the driver side and I hope its not the Differential and just the wheel bearing... Is it possible for the wheel bearing to just whine and not be loose when you jack up the vehicle and shake the tire??

What do you guys think WB or Diff? :confused:

KrazyKeith
03-05-09, 04:38 PM
Diff since its ultra common

pcguy760
03-06-09, 02:54 AM
Oh no - say it ain't so! I just bought this thing and it kinda throws me off thinking that my Ford Expedition is currently lasting over 5 years (164,000 miles) with only a bad alternator, bad front wheel bearing and some bad wheel studs.

Well, I guess I will have it checked out one more time by a more reputable shop this time...

KrazyKeith
03-06-09, 09:23 AM
Take it to a shop that does transmission or differential work. Usually they do free estimates, but you'll have to leave it for half a day or the day.

ratbike1
03-06-09, 09:47 AM
Obviously impossible to correctly diagnose via the internet... however:

1) If you have play already pointed out in a wheel bearing, it's either gone or about to go.
2) AWD systems will always have a certain amount of noise coming from the front diff; are you certain that your noise is uncommon?

pcguy760
03-06-09, 10:28 AM
Yeah I need to still get that wheel bearing / wheel bearings changed. Also, honestly I have never owned an AWD vehicle before although my Expedition had A4WD and I dunno if that is the same thing since on that vehicle it only got into 4WD when the wheel started spinning if it was in A4WD BUT it did not make this noise.

Yeah I am about to go get it professionally diagnosed...

ratbike1
03-06-09, 10:48 AM
Yeah I need to still get that wheel bearing / wheel bearings changed. Also, honestly I have never owned an AWD vehicle before although my Expedition had A4WD and I dunno if that is the same thing since on that vehicle it only got into 4WD when the wheel started spinning if it was in A4WD BUT it did not make this noise.

Yeah I am about to go get it professionally diagnosed...

How did the fluid look when you changed it? How about the magnetic plug?
Honestly, if you've already serviced the diff, you've done about all you can do. If it was my truck I'd probably drive it and hope for the best! :thumbsup:

pcguy760
03-06-09, 12:14 PM
Hi, the fluid looked black and the magnetic plug looked dirty - almost exactly like the one pictured in the sticky on here about changing oil...

pcguy760
03-06-09, 10:07 PM
Update : Well this is gonna sound odd but today I was changing the Transfer Case oil and not to my surprise approx. 1 qt came out when I drained it. So I filled it up with almost 2 qts of Dexron and then while the front driver side wheel was up, I decided to do my own wheel bearing check by shaking the wheel (6 o' clock position, etc.) and it shook just a little bit. So I lower the vehicle, take it for a drive and the noise has died down by like 90%!!!
:highfive:
I do not understand this, but so far it has not come back... anyone got any ideas?? LOL. I just realised that it seems like this vehicle was kinda neglected by one of the other 2 owners :( ... but she's in good hands now :)