: Need Help! regarding 2005 cts v

Original786
03-05-09, 03:12 PM
So I am closing a deal, and about to purchase 2005 cts v..

I have done all the research possible I can..

Last few questions i have regarding the car is...

The car is been in a minor accident from what the owner told me, not by him but by the first owner.

when i look at the car, it looks in great condition and cannot tell it has been worked on. the 2nd owner which i am going to get the car, well he got the car from the dealer in NJ. and they told him that it was a bumper scratch and it was replaced through insurance.

1) how do i tell if that really happen. when i do pull car fax, they have claim number, but NJ wont give me any records of what exactly happen.

2. does the front bumper the original one have vin number? that way i can see if it has been replaced?

3) does all doors and trunk and hood have vin number on cts-vs?

4) like i said the car is in great condition, should i look at something closely. they said it was right side of from bumper.

Thank you

supernova_inc
03-05-09, 04:00 PM
I am almost positive the vin is not stamped onto the original bumper. The main things I would check are, hoist the vehicle in the air and double check that the bumber absorber is still in tact and in place. You can do this by removing the lwr shield and just visually looking undernieth. The reason I bring this up is that I have seen many repair facilities just replace a cover and leave out the "guts" or the inner components of the bumper. I would also check to see if the bumper is a Original equipment bumper(OE) or a recond cover. A recond cover is one purchased by a 3rd party company from a wrecked vehicle or a bumper that a shop did not repair, then repaired, reprimed and sold as "reconditioned" These bumpers in some cases are 100% perfect but in others the primer is put on to thick and they are prone to crack(the paint)The cover should also have a very small amount of give in it as it is flexible but not to much. If it feels to loose this could be a sign of the replaced bumper being possibly installed incorrectly or without all the fasteners in place.

(edited to hopefully be more clear)

1. The only people with the records will be the insurance comapny, the original owner, and possibly the shop that worked on it. If you know the claim # from the claim, then call up the insurance and see if they will fax it. If not then you can maybe find the shop name and call them up.

2. The vin I do not think is on the bumper.

3. Unsure here, sorry

4. The main points everyone has said here regarding the rear diff, radio buttons peeling, etc. As for the bumper being replaced i doubt it was for a scratch. I just finished with $9300 worth of repair to my car and it was for both bumpers, the rt rear rocker mldg, and the rest was all suspension. I saw both bumpers and one was torn, the other gouged severly. With all the repair being done and I work in a shop so I was able to follow it through but I feel like the car feels better and is more taught now than when I first purchased it.

Original786
03-05-09, 04:03 PM
I am almost positive the original vin is not stamped onto the bumper. The main things I would check are hoist the vehicle in the air and double check by removing the lwr shield that the absorber is there and check the fitment of the cover. It should have a very small amount of give in it as it is flexible but not to much. Most likely it was replaced with either a recond cover or a new OE 1.

can you please elaborate more. i am totally confused

supernova_inc
03-05-09, 04:37 PM
I updated it to hopefully be more clear. Sorry

Original786
03-05-09, 04:49 PM
thank you

Original786
03-05-09, 08:29 PM
any one else

CadzillaTN
03-05-09, 08:48 PM
any one else

Yes, Its simple.. and yes you have the itch. But dont buy this one. There are a million more. Expand your search nationwide and pay shipping costs.

Also, youre already second guessing yourself...Save that for your first dealer visit.

CadzillaTN
03-05-09, 09:00 PM
Yes, Its simple.. and yes you have the itch. But dont buy this one. There are a million more. Expand your search nationwide and pay shipping costs.

Also, youre already second guessing yourself...Save that for your first dealer visit.

Sorry, didnt want to discourage you...If it checks out go for it...Just sayin that there are many for sale and the odds are you can find another one, possibly 07, and have a good experience under factory warranty for a while..

Original786
03-05-09, 10:27 PM
i dont mind buying one anywhere in nation. this was the best deal..thats all
i dont mind paying for shipping..

i was just seeing how big of a deal is it..

if i do sell it down a road, i will loose alot of money right? value drops in Caddilac cars for some reason alot