: Programming radio stations - Question

jr_vette
03-05-09, 02:08 PM
Well, with XM subscription prices going up and up, I decided to go back to listening to radio. I have a question about programming the stations. I searched, and you'd be amazed at how many "Radio" threads there are here. lol

Anyway, my question is this. Everytime I turn the car on, the radio 'auto-populates' the button with text from the radio RDS info. Each time that text is different depending on the song that is playing, or if it's showing the radio station info. Is there any way to permanently set it to the radio station frequency? If I catch it at the right time, I can program it in there, but as soon as a turn the car off/on again, it's back to whatever is being displayed at the time the car is turned on. Is this normal? (see pic below)

http://vette.tnreeds.com/Radio.jpg

stixx
03-05-09, 02:21 PM
Well, with XM subscription prices going up and up, I decided to go back to listening to radio. I have a question about programming the stations. I searched, and you'd be amazed at how many "Radio" threads there are here. lol

Anyway, my question is this. Everytime I turn the car on, the radio 'auto-populates' the button with text from the radio RDS info. Each time that text is different depending on the song that is playing, or if it's showing the radio station info. Is there any way to permanently set it to the radio station frequency? If I catch it at the right time, I can program it in there, but as soon as a turn the car off/on again, it's back to whatever is being displayed at the time the car is turned on. Is this normal? (see pic below)

http://vette.tnreeds.com/Radio.jpg

I had the same problem and found the solution in this forum. If I remember correctly, the steps are as follows:

Lets assume you are trying to set a preset for station 101.1:

1) Tune the radio one step ahead or behind 101.1
2) Press and hold the preset button as you normally would
3) This step requires some timing - typically you'll hear the "beep" a couple of seconds after holding the preset button. What you want to do is tune the radio to 101.1 just before the beep. This will lock the preset number and should eliminatwe the issue you are having.

jr_vette
03-05-09, 03:31 PM
I had the same problem and found the solution in this forum. If I remember correctly, the steps are as follows:

Lets assume you are trying to set a preset for station 101.1:

1) Tune the radio one step ahead or behind 101.1
2) Press and hold the preset button as you normally would
3) This step requires some timing - typically you'll hear the "beep" a couple of seconds after holding the preset button. What you want to do is tune the radio to 101.1 just before the beep. This will lock the preset number and should eliminatwe the issue you are having.

Sweet...I'll give it a shot in a bit. Thanks a ton!

thebigjimsho
03-06-09, 01:46 AM
i don't know. i just don't think about it anymore...

jr_vette
03-10-09, 09:55 AM
Just wanted to report back that stixx tip did the trick! It's too bad there not an easier way to do it, but here's what worked for me :

1. Tune to the frequency you want to program.
2. Press and hold the station preset you wish to program the station on
{tricky part}
3. Quickly, while still holding station preset, turn the tuner knob one 'click' up or down, and then immediately back to the original frequency. IF you time it right, the button will be programmed right when you turn the tuner knob back to the frequency that you were wanting. Make sure it has the frequency in the preset text field, and if so you're good to go. If not, repeat steps 1-3.

That did the trick for me! Several days now of driving, and I still have all my 'frequency' presets, and not the random RDS text.

Thanks again stixx!

stixx
03-10-09, 11:11 AM
I can not take any credit for the procedure. I am simply rehashing what I read elsewhere on the forum :)

thebigjimsho
03-10-09, 01:35 PM
the forum wins again