: Shifting Issues when Cold

zinner
03-05-09, 11:23 AM
I just acquired a 2005 CTS-V. I am finding it hard to shift in 1st or reverse when the car is cold. I usually have to double clutch it or let it roll. The car has 53k on it. Is this normal behavior that I should just learn to live with?

Once it's warmed up it shifts fine. I was considering a replacement of the transmission and rear diff fluid since I am not sure if it's ever been changed. I am pretty handy in the garage but if there are any tips or tricks that would be nice.

I also own an 05 Cobalt SS/SC and going from it's 5 spd and the CTS's 6 spd is an adjustment. :)

CadiBlk
03-05-09, 11:46 AM
Fluid flush would be smart, specially in the diff. GM claims the tranny fluid is good for the life of the car, but most people do a swap.

There are a bunch of threads discussing hard shifting while the car is cold. There are a couple quick fixes.

1. Let the car warm up.
2. Move to warmer climate.

Good luck and welcome to the club.

zinner
03-05-09, 12:07 PM
Yeah I read some of the other threads, I just wanted to make my own since I was having trouble in reverse as well and it seemed only to be in the cold (30-40f).

The Cobalt's 5 spd is a smooth dream compared to this 6 spd.

NormV
03-05-09, 12:10 PM
Most tranmissions don't have handle the torque the V has either.

Try switching transmission fluid to Royal Purple or Red Line synthetics. It'll help but it's just a characteristic of the beast! :)

Norm

CadiBlk
03-05-09, 12:14 PM
I have reverse issues sometimes, but I have learned how to work with it. What works for me (I also have UUC shifter), is that while shifting into reverse I hold pressure on the shifter while I let the clutch out and then I feel it click into the gear and all is well. Also I have had 1st gear problems too, so I just pull it into second then up to first and it works everytime. Try those out. Might be getting used to this 50lb flywheel that is in there compared to the cobalt.

My car is at the dealer currently and they gave me a reg cobalt as the loaner.... The Enterprise rep goes, 'well at least it has electric locks.' I was not amused. I get my car back this afternoon and I can't wait to get back to some muscle. Not that the ss isn't a quick lil bugger, but this was the base model and no good at all.

zinner
03-05-09, 12:17 PM
It is a beast :) I should also mention the previous owner installed an B&M. Is there any adjustments in that shift I could look at? I now there was cable alignment in my B&M for my cobalt I had to tweak.

liqidvenom
03-05-09, 12:50 PM
I also have the cold shift issue, i just let it warm up some.

Oddly enough i sit down the row from a getrag engineer... Im gonna run this by him

814V
03-05-09, 01:01 PM
welcome to the club.. i think every V does it

YoshiV
03-05-09, 01:18 PM
Good to see you on here Zinner! Life with the beast...get used to it!

rand49er
03-05-09, 01:34 PM
Might have been mentioned already, but you may want to check/flush/bleed your hydraulic clutch fluid, too. Just a thought.

Welcome, btw.