: Extended Warranty GM Major Guard

jimzilla
03-04-09, 09:37 PM
I would like to purchase an extended warranty for my 08 STS. Does anyone have any good experiences in purchasing at a good price? Thanks in advance.

Jim

southcocoabeach
03-05-09, 12:00 AM
I`m going to get mine from Black Pontiac Cadillac in PA. Do a google search the website will come up,if you find a better price please let me know.:)

sts003
03-05-09, 08:01 PM
As I mentioned on a similar post I did an extensive search and got mine from Black Pontiac Cadillac in PA at a nice savings (better than anyone else). You are only paying for the GMPP through them, the actual GMPP comes directly from GM to you and is automatically put into your service record via the VIN by GM. No regrets.

BaTu
03-05-09, 08:56 PM
I think you'd be smart to go to the local dealership (where you intend to have the repairs done) and find out what they want. Maybe get the internet price first so you know what the bottom line is (they all pay the same)

Like anything else, there are "gray areas" of repairs. You might be in a better position as a customer of the local business instead of a stranger.....

Even a few buck more could be worth it over the years of coverage

Bigron
03-07-09, 01:03 PM
Price it online with a couple dealers than give your local dealer a chance to match.
The local dealer will be pissed at the dealers online but probably happy you gave him the chance at the business.

THe service guys could not care less where you bought the GMPP, usually they dislike the F&I office anyways for over selling coverage. So I really wouldn't care where I bought the coverage.

BarryNS
03-08-09, 04:43 PM
In view of GM's "imminent" bankruptcy, I wonder if purchasing anything from GM would be the safest, wisest move at this time.

Bigron
03-08-09, 09:26 PM
A gmpp is purchased from GMAC specifically their insurance division.
State laws regulate the insurance division and asset allocation.

While I understand your concern. GMAC Insurance was an A- rated insurance company for financial strength by AM best last time I checked.

But I would agree to investigate any purchase before making a decision.

Superjim
03-08-09, 09:37 PM
I would like to purchase an extended warranty for my 08 STS. Does anyone have any good experiences in purchasing at a good price? Thanks in advance.

Jim

I checked several places online...including Black Pontiac.
I then took the info to my regular dealer.
They matched the best price I found online.

Texas Jim

BarryNS
03-09-09, 11:01 AM
But I would agree to investigate any purchase before making a decision.

That is a good point. Of course you would stil need a GM shop to do the work. Insurance policy probably should have some alternates in the event GM would shut down (however unlikely).

sts003
03-10-09, 08:15 PM
It was my local GM dealer service rep who suggested I check on the internet to purchase the GMPP in the first place.

z06bigbird
03-15-09, 02:30 AM

Jim

Fitchner Chevy in Billings, Montana and Black Cad/Chevy in Ebensburg, Pa. Both excellent people. Plus your local dealers. Cavender people in San Antonio are excellent also.

Zpak
03-15-09, 12:09 PM
I went with Fichner Chevy in Mo....for my 84/84...last week
It was fifty dollars more than Black...but I got to use my credit card and accum. the FF mileage...Black wants you to use checks but if a CC, he puts added charge which was around 60-75 dollars in my case.

mike sts
03-15-09, 07:45 PM
I would trade my car in for or sell then buy a certified vehicle. 7 yr 100,000 mile bumper to bumper with all privledges is a nice warranty. I always but low mile certified you save money secondary to the miles and the warranty is almost twice as long

Bigron
03-16-09, 08:30 PM
Certified is 6 year 100k and that is from the in service date.
(Link (http://www.cadillac.com/cadillacjsp/cpo/advantage.jsp))
Yes it is much cheaper, but:

GMPP is additive time and mileage, compared to in service date.
GMPP can be purchased anytime before the 4 year / 50k factory runs out and the car can be purchased from any where.

Granted, GMPP can also be purchased on a car that is out of warranty, as long as the car is purchased from an authorized GM dealer and the service contract is bought at that time.

Hope that helps