: Headlight Washers.

Klei14
03-04-09, 06:00 PM
As everyone I'm sure knows, the SRX comes with headlight washers. I really don't care for them because my headlights really are never so dirty they need to be cleaned. I also hate the fact that after it sprays the headlights it makes the front of the car wet so more dust/dirt can get stuck. I'm sure it is also a waste of windsheild washer fluid.

The last time I took my bumper off the system was a real pita to dissconet, and I will be changing my front bumper soon, and I was thinking about what a pita it was to remove the washers last time. I stated to think it might be a good idea to remove the entire system and just not replace it. I would cap off both of the lines from the bottle, and just glue/epoxy the spray covers to the new bumper.

I'm not sure how practical this is because I have not seen what the washer system looks like. I don't want to risk messing up the winsheild sprayers just to get this done. I won't know for sure untill I take the bumper off to get a better look at the system.

What are your thoughts about removing this?

Tom

TTopJohn
03-04-09, 07:53 PM
It should be doable, particularly since some SRXs, those without HID headlamps, come without headlamp washers.

If the same motor pumps water for the headlamp and windshield washers, I would avoid making it work any harder by plugging the headlamp washer lines, and see if there is a way to loop them instead.

Consider resale implications - I know if I checked the headlamp washers on an SRX I was about to buy, and found them to be 1) missing from an SRX with HIDs that should have come with them or 2)removed and epoxied, I would take that as a sign the car had been in a front end collision and not properly repaired.

Klei14
03-04-09, 11:35 PM
It should be doable, particularly since some SRXs, those without HID headlamps, come without headlamp washers.

If the same motor pumps water for the headlamp and windshield washers, I would avoid making it work any harder by plugging the headlamp washer lines, and see if there is a way to loop them instead.

Consider resale implications - I know if I checked the headlamp washers on an SRX I was about to buy, and found them to be 1) missing from an SRX with HIDs that should have come with them or 2)removed and epoxied, I would take that as a sign the car had been in a front end collision and not properly repaired.

If the same pump that runs the windsheild washer runs the headlights I will probably won't touch it. As far as re-sale, my srx already has 90k miles on it and it is an 06, so I will probably drive it untill the wheels fall off lol. I will also not do anything that is going to last forever. I don't want to do anything more than plug a line and use a little silicone.

Spyke
03-05-09, 10:03 AM
if its on a single relay, just take out the fuse for the headlight washer.

srx05v8
03-06-09, 02:41 AM
I remember seeing the diagram somewhere that there are 3 washer pumps; also, since the headlight washer works only when the headlights are on, I would think it has its own pump. Speaking of that, why going through all these trouble disabling it? I suppose you don't always keep the headlights on; and if your windshield becomes dirty (dust, dirty wet road), chances are the headlights are even dirtier and are not serving you well...

orangeflash
03-15-09, 06:25 PM
I would think that the headlamp washers would have their own pump as they only seem to operate every third push of the windshield washer button and only when the headlamps are on. I was told that the reason for the headlamp washers on the HID equiped vehicles is not to help you see better, but to help cut down on headlamp glare for oncoming traffic. Guess this is a problem for HID lamps when the lenses become dirty. That is why the washers are not user defeatable on the switch.

GMJim
03-15-09, 09:50 PM
On our 2006's, the headlamp washers come on everytime you wash the windshield when the lights are on.
With a white vehicle & blue or orange solvent, it looks like someone has barfed on my front end after one wash.
I have gone as far as turning my headlamps off to wash the windshield while driving. Pretty safe huh?

n7don_srx
03-15-09, 11:49 PM
Locate the underhood fuse box and remove the cover. Looking toward the engine, in the lower right-hand part of the layout will be a "HEADLAMP WASH" 30 A circuit breaker that feeds the washer pump. I'd think if you pulled this circuit breaker it would kill power to the headlamp washer pump. This circuit breaker is fed via a relay that's located along the left side of the layout. If you look at the layout on the bottom of the fuse box cover it's marked HEAD LAMP WASH HC MICRO. You'll also see the location of the circuit breaker. Removing either one should kill washer pump power however the circuit breaker is easiest. Only two prongs and just wiggle slightly and pull straight up.
What I can't tell you if you were to remove either whether it will be detected and a fault code set but if it does just put it back in.
It does rain frequent enough in AZ or I'd try removing the circuit breaker report if it works.