: Front Metal Mesh Grill for V2?

Vlakaz
03-04-09, 04:43 PM
My V2 is on order, should be here in a few weeks. A little dissapointed that GM opted to use plastic for the front grills unlike the metal used in our STSv. Not sure the logic behind it other then maybe saving a few dollars in cost for GM. Any idea if there are aftermarket front metal grills available that look exactly the same as the factory plastic? I think the rear bumber grill is already metal.

jasaero
03-04-09, 07:30 PM
Nope. The front grill is plastic as to make a more streamlined/aerodynamic shape in the opening of the mesh. A standard woven mesh like on the STS-V or old CTS-V would block to much air and make your car overheat or reduce performance by making the intercooler less effective. They could possibly have got a custom cast or machined and then chromed aluminum or magnesium grill with the same grid shape as the plastic one but it would have been MUCH more expensive and possibly less durable than the chromed plastic once the weight of the plastic was matched or bettered. I am actually doubting it would have been near impossible to better the plastic with a metal anyhow.

thebigjimsho
03-04-09, 08:01 PM
it's all in the vortex impulsion...

Vlakaz
03-05-09, 04:59 PM
Nope. The front grill is plastic as to make a more streamlined/aerodynamic shape in the opening of the mesh. A standard woven mesh like on the STS-V or old CTS-V would block to much air and make your car overheat or reduce performance by making the intercooler less effective. They could possibly have got a custom cast or machined and then chromed aluminum or magnesium grill with the same grid shape as the plastic one but it would have been MUCH more expensive and possibly less durable than the chromed plastic once the weight of the plastic was matched or bettered. I am actually doubting it would have been near impossible to better the plastic with a metal anyhow.

Thanks for the response. I'm sure it could have been done, but probably at a higher cost for GM. One of the things I liked about the V1 and STSv is that unlike all the German cars with their plastic front grills, those Caddys are unique with the factory metal mesh. If there was an identical metal mesh available I would pay a little more for it. Don't get me wrong, the platic looks good, but I would have preferred metal.

thebigjimsho
03-06-09, 12:16 AM
it's not the vortex impulsion?

LV_V
03-06-09, 01:42 AM
Using metal over plastic allowed a union worker to keep his job. Oh wait, he/she kept his job anyway.

Vlakaz
03-06-09, 02:08 PM
it's not the vortex impulsion?

What is vortex impulsion?

Metal front grill is not impossible to make, and it would have been nice on a car in this price range, just something else to further differentiate it from its German rivals.

OldDrummer55
03-06-09, 04:41 PM
it's all in the vortex impulsion...

From the warp or impulse drives? :alien:

Ketzer
03-06-09, 06:44 PM
From the warp or impulse drives? :alien:

It comes from the distortion created by the larger atoms in an alloy based material of a metallic front grillz. The atoms in a plastisized resin based part are much more linear and help the air molecules to pass unhindered as proven by extensive wind tunnel testing by GM.

thebigjimsho
03-07-09, 10:07 PM
aka vortex impulsion?

OldDrummer55
03-08-09, 12:17 AM
It comes from the distortion created by the larger atoms in an alloy based material of a metallic front grillz. The atoms in a plastisized resin based part are much more linear and help the air molecules to pass unhindered as proven by extensive wind tunnel testing by GM.

I heard GM was leasing the tunnel to some unsavory looking Ferangi to generate cash flow to pay Recaro for a new shipment... :rimshot:

thebigjimsho
03-08-09, 01:26 AM
hmm...

darjae
03-08-09, 01:31 AM
hmm...

Damn! 5 min. too late.....hmm... ;)

thebigjimsho
03-08-09, 01:40 AM
indeed.

Ketzer
03-08-09, 08:35 AM
How about custom grillz?

http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL267/1824562/21364491/357412719.jpg

thebigjimsho
03-08-09, 11:31 AM
:chilly:

JFJr
03-09-09, 03:36 PM
Metal front grill is not impossible to make, and it would have been nice on a car in this price range, just something else to further differentiate it from its German rivals.

None of its German rivals have beaten the 2009 CTS-V's lap time at the 'Ring; that's the ultimate distinction. Another consideration of plastic vs. metal in the grill was probably weight. Recall that the hood is aluminum to save weight.

Richie18
03-09-09, 03:40 PM
None of its German rivals have beaten the 2009 CTS-V's lap time at the 'Ring; that's the ultimate distinction. Another consideration of plastic vs. metal in the grill was probably weight. Recall that the hood is aluminum to save weight.

Most hoods now a days are aluminum. It would have been a weight saver if they used carbon fiber.

thebigjimsho
03-09-09, 06:11 PM
Most hoods now a days are aluminum. It would have been a weight saver if they used carbon fiber.
Not much of a weight savings for huge $$$

Vlakaz
03-10-09, 12:25 AM
Performance aside, one of the first things people notice about our STSv is the metal grill, its a phsyical standout from the competition. I'm just saying it would have been nice to have. I am doubtful that weight was a consideration, the grill would barely add a few pounds to the cars weight.

I agree that Carbon fiber hood, and possibly even roof like the M3, would have been a nice touch, expensive but nice. Hec, why not an aluminum trunk and fenders as well, maybe even aluminum door skins, aluminum is not an exotic material like it once was. Its really too bad the car weighs so much, if only GM could have found a way to shave off a few hundred pounds, imagine how much futher behind the competition would have been.

I guess the solution was brute force with that engine.

Despite all this, I am picking my 09V in mid april. Its already sitting on the GM dealers lot waiting for me to go get it.

thebigjimsho
03-10-09, 12:22 PM
That's what the GM Performance engineers were thinking for the V3. Minimize weight. They said more power wasn't really in the cards. Of course, all that is now moot...

OldDrummer55
03-12-09, 01:42 PM
My 08 Yukon Denali has a nice metal grill,and I was surprised when I finally found a V2 in a Portland, OR showroom, gently caressed the grill and discovered it was PLASTIC! But now I understand with the Vortex Implosion considerations.

Vlakaz
03-12-09, 08:00 PM
Vortex, schmortex I still would have liked metal lol :)

We'll just have to wait and see if the Plastic holds up to stone chips and sand etc... as well as our STSv metal grill has. It still looks brand new after just over 2 years on the roads.

Richie18
03-12-09, 08:15 PM
Performance aside, one of the first things people notice about our STSv is the metal grill, its a phsyical standout from the competition. I'm just saying it would have been nice to have. I am doubtful that weight was a consideration, the grill would barely add a few pounds to the cars weight.

I agree that Carbon fiber hood, and possibly even roof like the M3, would have been a nice touch, expensive but nice. Hec, why not an aluminum trunk and fenders as well, maybe even aluminum door skins, aluminum is not an exotic material like it once was. Its really too bad the car weighs so much, if only GM could have found a way to shave off a few hundred pounds, imagine how much futher behind the competition would have been.

I guess the solution was brute force with that engine.

Despite all this, I am picking my 09V in mid april. Its already sitting on the GM dealers lot waiting for me to go get it.

Replace all the aluminum ideas with carbon fiber and now your talking...just like the ZR1.

Vlakaz
03-12-09, 08:22 PM
Replace all the aluminum ideas with carbon fiber and now your talking...just like the ZR1.

lol yep, you are definantly talking.. talking a second job to pay for it since it would probably bump pricing a good chunk :)

I'd be happy with Aluminum fendors, door skins and trunk ;)

OldDrummer55
03-13-09, 12:43 AM
:yeah:

OldDrummer55
03-13-09, 12:45 AM
Vortex, schmortex I still would have liked metal lol :)

We'll just have to wait and see if the Plastic holds up to stone chips and sand etc... as well as our STSv metal grill has. It still looks brand new after just over 2 years on the roads.

And here I thought I'd get my balls busted for caressing a grill... ;)

Vlakaz
03-13-09, 01:46 PM
And here I thought I'd get my balls busted for caressing a grill... ;)

lol I don't think anyone said anything because we have all done it. Hec I know some that have even gone as far as to run their fingers along the grill at the rear bumper. Ok, it was me.