: Just Changed Oil with Mobile 1 Extended Milege

STS42006
03-04-09, 05:28 PM
i just changed my oil in my 2006 sts4 1sG and the oil states it lasts one year or 15000 miles do you think its ok to change it after about 12000 miles and how often should i change the oil filter i used a fram thanks?

EChas3
03-04-09, 06:17 PM
I'm just going to stick with the Engine Oil Life System. It monitors the type of driving and engine temperatures, etc. My wife's car is nearing 15% after about 10 months & 12,000 miles of 80/20 highway miles. There's no material difference.

Unless you encounter a lot of dusty conditions, why not?

ifmracin
03-04-09, 06:45 PM
What Fram filter did you use.
They are generally not highly regarded as a quality filter, I personally would wonder about running one for that many miles.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/opinions.html#avoid

AllWheelEric
03-04-09, 07:32 PM
Did you save your oil container? Did you check to see if it meets the requirements in your owner manual? This spec is not met by all Mobil 1 oils.

The engine requires a special engine oil meeting GM Standard GM4718M. Oils meeting this standard may be
identified as synthetic, and should also be identified with the American Petroleum Institute Certified for Gasoline Engines starburst symbol. However, not all synthetic API oils with the starburst symbol will meet this GM standard. You should look for and use only oil that meets GM Standard GM4718M.

turnerbend
03-04-09, 07:34 PM
I would change at lease once a year no matter what. I have 8000 miles on my 05 STS and the oil have been changed 3 times. I use mobil 1 all the way....

miked
03-05-09, 02:27 AM
I think (???) that the manual says use the oil life monitor OR at least once a year, whichever comes first.

We don't drive many miles, and so typically change on the one-year interval.

Aurora5000
03-05-09, 10:09 AM
I change every 8k-9k miles. Usually around 20% on the monitor. Use Mobil 1 syn. THE GOLD CAP. Also use Mobil 1 filter. You can buy the gallon containers at Wal Mart. Filters at AutoZone.

chkline
03-05-09, 08:15 PM
This oil does not meet the GM requirements. I purchased some as well before I realized that it does not meet the specs. I looked at the Mobil 1 site to try to find out what the difference between the two oils was without much luck. I did see a FAQ question where someone asked about this, and they said it would work fine. I have to think if GM puts requirements out there, that there is a good reason for them. I'm sticking with the stock Mobil 1 that meets the requirements. I'd also reccomend using the AC Delco filter just to be on the safe side. They are available at Auto Zone, and most other auto part sotres, and are not any more expensive than the Fram.

justgreat
03-05-09, 08:22 PM
great....does the extra vowel offer greater protection?.....

jackg
06 sts6