: GMS questions

Tasos
03-04-09, 03:05 PM
Talked to my local dealer today about a V2. Asked if he would take GMS (employee price not supplier) for one and he said he would. Now for my questions: 1)Can any GM employee give me a # or does it have to be a specific relative? 2) If so does it matter to GM if I order one or have him locate one? Thanks for any input.

CadV
03-04-09, 03:33 PM
Talked to my local dealer today about a V2. Asked if he would take GMS (employee price not supplier) for one and he said he would. Now for my questions: 1)Can any GM employee give me a # or does it have to be a specific relative? 2) If so does it matter to GM if I order one or have him locate one? Thanks for any input.

It is immediate family. Some dealers are more relaxed than others.

FreddyG
03-04-09, 03:49 PM
I must've misunderstood the GMS request that I received then because I think that they can give them away to anyone as a prospect. This is part of the GM friends and family program.

That's what I understood, but it doesn't mean that it's right. Just the way that I thought that it worked! There are some Guys on here that understand the program Very well and maybe they'll chime in. Also, you could pm or call one of the forum dealers and ask them. They'd know for sure. :cheers:

MReiland
03-04-09, 08:05 PM

I think I can help. We can give them out right now to anyone we want, however the latest "For Friends" program requires that the prospect owns a non-GM vehicle. To get the code you need the following:

How does it work?
It's similar to the GM employee discount process. You will need your prospect's name, address, date of birth, ZIP Code and make, model and last eight digits of the vehicle identification number (VIN) of their competitive vehicle to obtain their GM Employee Discount for Friends authorization number online

Hopefully Tasos has something along these lines and we can hook him up to get him into a new V!!!

Matt
:cool2:

proexpert
03-06-09, 01:53 PM
Is it required to trade-in the competitive vehicle for this? I have another brand, but don't want to trade it.

Tasos
03-06-09, 05:36 PM
I want to say a public 'Thank you very much!' to MReiland for all his help. I will post a few pics when my new addition arrives. Thanks again. You're a true asset to this forum and the USA.

tbss08
03-06-09, 06:50 PM
Must be nice to reward non-loyal GM buyers and leave the loyal ones not being able to get the same deals. I was ready to send a deposit to a dealer but the more I think about it the less likely I am to buy. :wtf:

Why should someone who is a loyal GM customer pay more for the same vehicle just because they have been a loyal GM customer?:annoyed:

MReiland
03-06-09, 08:13 PM
I am not sure why the peope in marketing chose to add this extra stipulation to get the GMS price. They didn't have it until just recently, although it has only been a short time that we have even been able to give out the full GMS to people outside of family. I can get anyone Supplier Discount without a competitve GM vehicle if that takes a little sting off the current promotion. Also what I have read says nothing about having to trade in the competitor vehicle so I would say no to that.

Matt

tbss08
03-06-09, 08:21 PM
Matt,
Thanks for the reply. I am eligible for Supplier pricing and was ready to put the deposit down and purchase at that price. I will be taking a big hit on taxes without the trade in like on my previous lemon car. I was hoping GM Marketing would do away with the competitors clause on the Employee and allow some cars to move to the loyal customers as well. Marketing probably pictures us as uninformed consumers who will buy a GM like we always have, not anymore.

I was hoping to be in a new CTS-V next month but now, well I'll just drive the other three vehicles we have and wish GM good luck. Once the Z06 is gone this TrailBlazer SS will probably be the last new GM vehicle we buy. Yes they have managed to alienate a 30 year loyal GM customer. GREAT JOB GM!!

neuronbob
03-06-09, 08:38 PM
I can see why this seems unfair to a loyal GM buyer. OTOH, to someone like me who owns a competitor's auto--I own a Japanese luxury make right now and am a 20-year mostly Japanese buyer--this gives me a chance to jump to GM and help its cause. Maybe GM should even up the odds some to keep GM buyers loyal.

MReiland
03-06-09, 10:23 PM
Matt,
Thanks for the reply. I am eligible for Supplier pricing and was ready to put the deposit down and purchase at that price. I will be taking a big hit on taxes without the trade in like on my previous lemon car. I was hoping GM Marketing would do away with the competitors clause on the Employee and allow some cars to move to the loyal customers as well. Marketing probably pictures us as uninformed consumers who will buy a GM like we always have, not anymore.

I was hoping to be in a new CTS-V next month but now, well I'll just drive the other three vehicles we have and wish GM good luck. Once the Z06 is gone this TrailBlazer SS will probably be the last new GM vehicle we buy. Yes they have managed to alienate a 30 year loyal GM customer. GREAT JOB GM!!

I am sorry to hear about your situation, I did throw it out there to the internal GM "Answer Me Now" forum to see if there are any circumstances where the conquest vehicle requirements can be relaxed. I will write back if I hear back one way or the other.

Matt

tbss08
03-07-09, 08:36 AM
I am sorry to hear about your situation, I did throw it out there to the internal GM "Answer Me Now" forum to see if there are any circumstances where the conquest vehicle requirements can be relaxed. I will write back if I hear back one way or the other.

Matt

Matt,
Again thanks. In the past 5 years I have bought 5 new GM vehicles of which only two were obtained at supplier pricing, a 04 Z06 and our TrailBlazer SS, the SSR, 07 Z06 and 08 Z06 were regular deals. I will be taking close to a $4000 hit on the taxes when I go to buy because I won't have the Z06 for a trade in, it's soon to be gone on a buyback. The supplier discount offsets it a bit but every little bit now a days helps especially on a higher priced vehicle.
Thanks again,
Leo

tbss08
03-07-09, 08:45 AM
I can see why this seems unfair to a loyal GM buyer. OTOH, to someone like me who owns a competitor's auto--I own a Japanese luxury make right now and am a 20-year mostly Japanese buyer--this gives me a chance to jump to GM and help its cause. Maybe GM should even up the odds some to keep GM buyers loyal.

Congrats on being able to make the jump. My vehicles over the past few years have been good cars, except for this last Z06 but every manufacturer has one out there which is a bad apple. I haven't been able to talk myself or wife into making the transition to an import manufacturer yet but if things keep going like they have I might just take that chance. I like to buy American and keep the money here. I don't mind paying a little more to support our economy and manufacturers but I also like to get a quality product at the best price.
:contract::burn:

qtzman
03-07-09, 08:52 AM
can you help me out ,Im going to do paperwork for my V2 do in this wk. gms price would the burn on mass. tax

eagle_lex
03-07-09, 01:49 PM
MReiland,
unfortunately i can not send PMs but i have a question that maybe others can benifit from as well. I would LOVE to utilize the gm employee code. (and i have a competiors vehicle currently) i do not want to trade the competior vehicle as it will be a daily beater and the V a weekend/trip car. if someone was projecting to buy a new V in about 10 - 12 months when would be a good time to secure this "employee code" and do you even know if it will be available in a year? thank you so much for your time and help. i would love to join you guys in being the owner of what i feel is GMs best addition since the C5 transformation.

MReiland
03-07-09, 03:11 PM
The current system as I read it doesn't say anything about trading in your competitor vehicle so I would still say no to that. Currently the codes are good for 6 months. The codes is good on ANY new GM vehicle not just Cadillacs. As for the availablility of the promotion, it comes and goes on a whim without notice. When it is available I offer it to people interested in buying vehicles, when GMS isn't we usually still have Supplier Codes we can give out so I do that to.

eagle_lex
03-07-09, 04:45 PM
wow! im impressed with your generosity and helpfulness. im coming back to GM (purchased a new 99 C5) solely based on the customer satisifaction ratings, the new CTS-V and the fact that i would rather see GM stay in business and employ my neighbors and friends over other foreign manufactures. can we contact you anytime when the finances are "right" to see if the codes are available?

mtgmaker
03-09-09, 02:38 AM
Matt, I'm new to this forum and I can't send PM's. Could you contact me when you get a chance. Thanks in advance. Paul.

RGaret
03-09-09, 05:46 PM
I am currently driving a Lexus IS 350. Almost got a 2007 V1 but the deal fell through over some sill stuff. I am ready to try again. How can I get a valid GMS #? I haven't driven a Cadillac for 15 years but I am ready to return to the fold. Thanks in advance

tbss08
03-09-09, 08:30 PM
Matt,
I can't send PM's yet, have you heard anything from your inside forum?
Thanks,
Leo

MReiland
03-09-09, 09:28 PM
Still waiting to hear one way or another. Should be pretty quick here.

qtzman
03-09-09, 10:09 PM
matt
I have a question on the "friends" discount. I have a vehicle on order since last october. can I get the discount on my vehicle or is the discount only pertain to instock vehicles?

MReiland
03-10-09, 12:21 PM
The discount is on the delivery of your vehicle (So it should be fine with your order). HOWEVER, it is up to your dealer to accept GMS on the vehicles. (Kinda like every comercial on TV where it says "Participation may vary". Some dealers choose to only sell at (Or Over) MSRP when they think they can make extra money on a currently hot car, some will sell at GMS or GSU. Before I offer anyone a code, since they are somewhat scarce, I ask that people clear it with their dealer to make sure that they can apply it.

Thanks,
Matt

jvp
03-10-09, 12:34 PM
Matt -

Before I offer anyone a code, since they are somewhat scarce, I ask that people clear it with their dealer to make sure that they can apply it.

Are you still researching the details of the conquest discount with GMS? My dealer will accept it from me, but as I mentioned in my PM to you, my GM buddy is a bit hesitant to share given the recent restrictions. My order is still status 3100, so it'll be a while yet anyway....

Thanks!

jas

Krug Ford
03-10-09, 12:40 PM
I will take GMS all day long if you have a legit number

MReiland
03-10-09, 12:42 PM
Matt -

Are you still researching the details of the conquest discount with GMS? My dealer will accept it from me, but as I mentioned in my PM to you, my GM buddy is a bit hesitant to share given the recent restrictions. My order is still status 3100, so it'll be a while yet anyway....

Thanks!

jas

Bad news at least in the short term, the FamilyFirst people called me back this morning and stated that in the short term there is no way to generate a "GMS code for friends" if they don't have a 'conquest' vehicle. I specifically asked if there was any generic vehicle code that could be put in to get around the restriction and they said not with the current promotion. (Keep in mind the promotions change on whim though) I did highlight the concern from all of you to them. Hopefully they will make a modification to the program to help those of you out there that currently don't own any vehicle or a non-GM vehicle. I am sorry about the circumstances, please don't shoot the messenger.

Matt

jvp
03-10-09, 12:48 PM
I am sorry about the circumstances, please don't shoot the messenger.

BANG!!

Just kidding. Thanks for the research and for clearing it up. And yes, I know the deals can change on a whim. When I ordered my V, I could have used my buddy's GMS number no sweat. After I placed the order, the deal changed.

I still qualify for GMU since I work at a supplier. But that discount is a good $2700 higher than GMS (and higher than invoice). Further, GM Mastercard rebates can't be combined with GMU (or GMS). Making it even less interesting.

Oh well. We'll have to see what the dealer will do for me. There may be a Thunder Grey, Recaro/6-speed equipped V available in Northern VA next month... :-)

jas

MReiland
03-10-09, 12:52 PM
BANG!!

Just kidding. Thanks for the research and for clearing it up. And yes, I know the deals can change on a whim. When I ordered my V, I could have used my buddy's GMS number no sweat. After I placed the order, the deal changed.

I still qualify for GMU since I work at a supplier. But that discount is a good $2700 higher than GMS (and higher than invoice). Further, GM Mastercard rebates can't be combined with GMU (or GMS). Making it even less interesting.

Oh well. We'll have to see what the dealer will do for me. There may be a Thunder Grey, Recaro/6-speed equipped V available in Northern VA next month... :-)

jas

There might be a new deal by next month TOO!:suspect:

jvp
03-10-09, 12:59 PM
There might be a new deal by next month TOO!

Yeah. I'll revisit this when the car's tires touch the dealer's lot.

Just FYI for those interested in GMS pricing: It isn't wise for Matt (or anyone else within GM) to hand out GMS numbers without proper authorization.

https://www.gmfamilyfirst.com/ip-gmemployee/

Click on the "FAQ" tab, then look for the link that says "What is the policy for misuse?"

Authorization numbers may not be sold or bartered. This program is subject to audit and verification, and misuse will result in sanctions against the GM employee. Violations of these program rules and guidelines by any purchaser may result in sanctions against the eligible participant. Sanctions may include, but are not limited to, the loss of privileges, repayment of monies and/or employment action, up to and including the termination of employment. In addition, legal action may be commenced for violation of program rules.

So, not only could Matt and/or anyone else get fired, but legal action could be taken against him and you...

jas

MReiland
03-10-09, 03:02 PM
Yeah, I am by the book when it comes to both GMS and GSU codes. When I first started helping out people, there was actually some confusion on the 'for friends' programs as it typically was only for family members. As anyone who has received one from me knows, I never take anything except a picture of your new ride for the code. There was some news a few months back of some people forging codes and taking money for getting them which did actually result in some stiff penalties.

If you meet the requirements of the current promotions, I am more than happy to make the connection and get you guys into a new GM product. Now, that said, I can't personally go out and check the VIN number on your competitive vehicle for the current promotion so I have to trust you on that one, and I save the email if it ever came back. As I and others have stated before we get absolutely nothing for providing the codes to you. Also you may wonder how I have so many, and that is through the use of my co-workers (which I still have lots of even after the cutbacks)

Thanks,
Matt

RGaret
03-10-09, 04:50 PM
Matt,

So if I provide you my VIN, you would generate a valid code for my use?

DaBill
03-10-09, 05:56 PM
Matt,

I tried to PM, but do not have enough posts.

I've been on the fence about trading the BMW for the V.

If you could enable me to take advantage of the GMS discount, that would lock up the decision. My dealer has confirmed they will accept GMS price.

Please PM me at your convenience.

Thank you!

atdeneve
03-10-09, 05:57 PM
Matt, you're The Man.

tbss08
03-10-09, 06:38 PM
Bad news at least in the short term, the FamilyFirst people called me back this morning and stated that in the short term there is no way to generate a "GMS code for friends" if they don't have a 'conquest' vehicle. I specifically asked if there was any generic vehicle code that could be put in to get around the restriction and they said not with the current promotion. (Keep in mind the promotions change on whim though) I did highlight the concern from all of you to them. Hopefully they will make a modification to the program to help those of you out there that currently don't own any vehicle or a non-GM vehicle. I am sorry about the circumstances, please don't shoot the messenger.

Matt

Matt,
Thanks for pursuing this. Is there anyone at GM we can contact to let our voices be heard? My Z06 will be gone shortly and I would like to get into a V for a similar deal as a "conquest" vehicle owner.
I'm starting to lose my GM loyalty as I can see they don't want returning customers anymore.

Thanks again Matt,
Leo

qtzman
03-10-09, 08:08 PM
matt,
Thank you very much for your help and your anwers. Unfortunately, my dealer said no to the gms. that is probably why they still have one in the showroom for the last month.

MReiland
03-10-09, 09:15 PM
I can also get Supplier (GSU) which they might do, otherwise you may want to can your order and go to Scott or Tony on the forums. I think they can both ship the vehicles to your door for a reasonable price.

Razorecko
03-10-09, 10:43 PM
^ Hey Mr, I have a quick question for you. Which #'s of the VIN dictate what day the vehicle was produced on ?

chukk
03-25-09, 11:46 PM
Yeah, I am by the book when it comes to both GMS and GSU codes. When I first started helping out people, there was actually some confusion on the 'for friends' programs as it typically was only for family members. As anyone who has received one from me knows, I never take anything except a picture of your new ride for the code. There was some news a few months back of some people forging codes and taking money for getting them which did actually result in some stiff penalties.

If you meet the requirements of the current promotions, I am more than happy to make the connection and get you guys into a new GM product. Now, that said, I can't personally go out and check the VIN number on your competitive vehicle for the current promotion so I have to trust you on that one, and I save the email if it ever came back. As I and others have stated before we get absolutely nothing for providing the codes to you. Also you may wonder how I have so many, and that is through the use of my co-workers (which I still have lots of even after the cutbacks)

Thanks,
Matt
Hi Matt,
I would be truly indebted to you if you could help me out with a GMS code. That would lessen the sting, since they are not offering any other incentives or rebates. I have always been and will continue to be a loyal GM supporter. Its sad to have to finally offload my Syclone, but that's a condition of me getting the V. I also have an Odyysey minivan to haul the kids, so I can comply with the conditions of the offer. Please shoot me an email at cstiehm@cisco.com if this is possible.

Much appreciated,
Chuck in NC