: Finally got it back, but still trouble shifting into 1st

surfera007
03-04-09, 02:05 AM
So after 2 weeks with an 08 CTS loaner (which I actually really enjoyed driving and can't imagine how amazing the new V is), I got my V back tonight. I went in for the second time complaining about it not shifting into 1st when the car was rolling and even having trouble when the car is stopped sometimes. I thought it was the synchros, but they wanted to start with by changing the transmission oil. (This was last December). It didn't work.

So two weeks ago I went in complaining about the same thing as well as the diff whining. They said they would replace the diff under warranty and that I needed a new clutch and flywheel because this was why it wasn't shifting into 1st. Very nice to get a new diff, but new clutch really? I saw here that it's not super uncommon so o well. So I ordered the LS7 clutch/flywheel assembly (Thanks Luke!) and had it shipped to here in LA. They said the slave was damaged so I had to wait for them to order a new one. Finally, I get the car back today and the clutch engages so nice and the diff stopped whining like the 5 year old that it use to sound like. The original problem is still not fixed though! It doesn't shift into 1st gear while rolling unless I jam it and still is having problems getting into 1st when stopped sometimes.

Is it the synchros? I feel like they didn't really even check the synchros.

Is it easy to get the transmission replaced under warranty? I only have a month left!

814V
03-04-09, 03:33 AM
mine does the same thing.. i mentioned it to the dealer countless times and they tell me its normal.. last time they even gave me this little paper that GM put together explaining this. i have giving up on this one. my warranty is up in 500 miles and this is the only thing that concerns me. they said because i have had it documented so many times that is there is ever a problem they should be able to take care of it.. hmm..

lawrence1
03-04-09, 03:59 AM
have you bled the clutch or tried fresh fluid? i'm guessing they flushed the fluid out and bled it when putting the new parts in but it's worth looking into. how fast are you "rolling" when trying to go into first? first gear should really only be used when taking off from a stop or barely moving. Some people have the bad habit to downshift and use first gear at low speeds when 2nd should be used instead(remember a V has ~400 ft-lbs of tq). This wears out the 1st gear syncro and creates the issues you're describing.

Now you also mention that you have issues going into first from a dead stop ... You can test whether or not it's a clutch issue using this procedure.
1. When it doesnt want to go into 1st keep applying CONSTANT pressure to the shifter with your right hand while reaching over with your left hand and switch off the engine. Do not ease the pressure on the shifter lever. Keep it constant while turning off the engine(this is very important). If once the motor is OFF it slides right in then you have a clutch problem. If it remains the same then your issue is elsewhere.

good luck.

Eld01
03-04-09, 05:22 AM
Why do you need to shift into first gear while rolling ?

surfera007
03-04-09, 01:48 PM
I shift into first going 3-10mph when I'm coming up to a light and I want to downshift to a stop or if the light's about to change to green.

The other thing I noticed is that my B&M shifter feels a little rougher going into 2nd and seems louder. I'm glad they didn't say anything about having the shifter, but now it feels like more metal on metal when shifting into second. It's not hard to get into gear, but just doesn't feel as smooth. Is this something that can be fixed with UUC bushings? Which bushings are they anyway?

ichpen
03-04-09, 01:54 PM
I shift into first going 3-10mph when I'm coming up to a light and I want to downshift to a stop or if the light's about to change to green.

The other thing I noticed is that my B&M shifter feels a little rougher going into 2nd and seems louder. I'm glad they didn't say anything about having the shifter, but now it feels like more metal on metal when shifting into second. It's not hard to get into gear, but just doesn't feel as smooth. Is this something that can be fixed with UUC bushings? Which bushings are they anyway?

I have the same issue with a UUC shifter and UUC bushings. Often when cold I can feel the synchros almost repelling the shifter when doing a 1-2 shift. Gets better after it's warmed up but it's not smooth.

Checked my clutch fluids and all is ok so not sure if something else needs lubricating here.

lawrence1
03-04-09, 02:18 PM

you shouldn't be downshifting into 1st while the car is moving. if the car is moving, 2nd gear is the gear you want to use/downshift to. if you've been driving the car the way you describe then your 1st gear syncro is probably worn out by now. how many miles are on the car and did u buy it new?

STAGEUP
03-04-09, 02:34 PM
My car does it about once a month at a stop. All I do is pump the clutch once, and its good. But my 1st gear goes in easily from a 30 or slower roll. :)