: Stainless Braided Clutch Line?

cide
03-04-09, 01:09 AM
Does anyone know if there is anybody making a stainless braided clutch line for the v? I have held a gto clutch line and it looks like its long enough, but the connector on the end is different. I tried to search for some previous posts on this, but couldn't find anything. I am having a little bit of problems with gear change when my car gets up to temp (hard shifting). I have new uuc flywheel/stock clutch/ pressure plate, new slave cylinder, new uuc shifter, and even bought a new stock shifter and modified it for the uuc.......

cide-

atdeneve
03-04-09, 04:45 AM
Does anyone know if there is anybody making a stainless braided clutch line for the v? I have held a gto clutch line and it looks like its long enough, but the connector on the end is different.

There are several speed shops / tuners that list a Goodridge stainless steel braided teflon line set for the V. But, I'd check with Luke (Lindsay Cadillac) and get the ones that were made by UUC. Looks like you already got all the other UUC stuff...

I tried to search for some previous posts on this, but couldn't find anything. I am having a little bit of problems with gear change when my car gets up to temp (hard shifting). I have new uuc flywheel/stock clutch/ pressure plate, new slave cylinder, new uuc shifter, and even bought a new stock shifter and modified it for the uuc.......

cide-

Little confused here. The UUC shifter is a complete shifter replacement. You don't use it in conjunction with your stock shifter. So, you got a UUC shifter, which already leaves you with a spare stock shifter, but then you went and purchased another stock shifter and modified it for the UUC? So now you have three shifters. I'd imagine that would be hard to shift.

You might wanna give a couple more details. I'm sure you'll get some good pointers. Probably not from me though. I be of little use.

cide
03-04-09, 12:39 PM
Lol. Sorry, it was a little late last night. The reason i bought the new stock shifter is because my shifter base was worn out (plastic bushing inside the base where the shifter ball sits). You cannot buy the stock base separate, it comes altogether. So, i bought the new complete stock shifter (assembly) and then modified it for the new uuc shifter. So, yes, i do have three shifters (but only one of them is in the car!). I knew uuc made stainless brake lines, but i did not know that they made the clutch line (they are the same braided line). I guess i need to call Luke to see if they have a clutch line pre-built for our cars.......

cide-

cide
03-04-09, 01:14 PM
Here's what i am feeling in the car. When i first take off in the morning, everything is butter, smooth shifting, smooth clutch feel. But, when the car gets up to temp (later on in the afternoon) the shifting starts to get hard and notchy, and the clutch starts to shutter. The clutch fluid is all new, just changed. It has been bled and re-bled again. So, this makes me thing that the line and the fluid is getting too hot when the car gets up to temp. This is why i think a stainless braided line would eliminate these heat issues. Does this sound right?

cide-

atdeneve
03-04-09, 01:16 PM
No, they don't make one for the clutch. Only the brake lines. My bad.

cide
03-04-09, 01:25 PM
No, they don't make one for the clutch. Only the brake lines. My bad.

No problem. I didn't think they made one. Does anybody know if there is a clutch line kit out there?

cide-

Kmajecki
03-04-09, 01:56 PM
It's my understanding GTO guys have had this company make a solid line for them although he does make custom braided lines as well. I called him once and he just requested someone to send him the stock parts and he'd fab one up.

As long as you know which fittings and length you need, he can make you a braided line no prob. I really wanted to get the solid ones and help resolve the black clutch fluid issues

http://www.classictube.com/

Here's one thread form the GTO guys: http://www.gtoforum.com/f39/clutch-line-replacement-16989/

NormV
03-04-09, 02:29 PM
Try wrapping it in heat protective wrap first. Might want to give your clutch and engine a good work out. Stuttering clutch is probably glazed over by not driving the snot out of it! :)

Norm

AAIIIC
03-04-09, 02:35 PM
If you look in the Yellow Pages in your area for a place that does air & hydraulic lines (or search on switchboard.com for "air hydraulics" in your area), you can probably get a braided line made locally. I did that for the clutch line on my Subaru. The stock rubber one started to give out, and a custom-made braided replacement was cheaper than an OEM replacement. Of course, you'll have to take out the stock line to bring it to the shop for them to duplicate, but such is life.

cide
03-04-09, 03:42 PM
Ok, thanks guys. I think i may just purchase a new factory line(to get all new fittings) and let someone build a stainless line for it. I also may try the wrap for right now to see if that helps......

cide-

Washin
03-04-09, 05:15 PM
If you look in the Yellow Pages in your area for a place that does air & hydraulic lines (or search on switchboard.com for "air hydraulics" in your area), you can probably get a braided line made locally. I did that for the clutch line on my Subaru. The stock rubber one started to give out, and a custom-made braided replacement was cheaper than an OEM replacement. Of course, you'll have to take out the stock line to bring it to the shop for them to duplicate, but such is life.

This is what I did. Worked out great. While you are at it make sure you get a second line made to connect to your bleeder, making it a remote bleeder that sits up under your hood. It's a dream to bleed the clutch with that.

atdeneve
03-04-09, 05:58 PM
Washin, who made your stainless clutch line? Being that you're Northern NJ / tristate area, if you already had someone fabricate a set, I'd be interested in havin them fab me up a set, as well. Any contact info / location? Thanks.

cide
03-04-09, 06:04 PM
So do you just send them a factory one and they can rebuild it with a stainless line?

cide-

Washin
03-04-09, 09:24 PM
Washin, who made your stainless clutch line? Being that you're Northern NJ / tristate area, if you already had someone fabricate a set, I'd be interested in havin them fab me up a set, as well. Any contact info / location? Thanks.

Progressive hydraulics 800-447-4409 they have several locations. You will have to bring in the stock pieces to match up the fitting sizes and length of hoses.

atdeneve
03-05-09, 05:17 AM
Cool. How much it run you?

I was kinda thinking that it was something where I could just walk in and pick up a set or order over the phone. Thought they'd already have the measurements/sizes, since they previously fabbed one up for the V. Guess not...

I'll give em a call and see what's up. Thanks.

Washin
03-05-09, 12:59 PM
Cool. How much it run you?

I was kinda thinking that it was something where I could just walk in and pick up a set or order over the phone. Thought they'd already have the measurements/sizes, since they previously fabbed one up for the V. Guess not...

I'll give em a call and see what's up. Thanks.

No chance of that. They don't know the difference between clutch line and garden hose. They just sell all types of hoses and fittings. You will have to go in and have them make you up a 1 off custom set. If I remember correctly it may have been around $75. Good luck and welcome to mod hell :thumbsup: