: Lug Nut Size?

qictrk
03-03-09, 10:09 PM
Does anyone know the thread size of the lug nuts? I need to get some locks and i have been told that its 12mm 1.5 by one shop, and another said 14mm.
Cecil..........

tedcmiller
03-05-09, 01:19 AM
The size is metric and the thread spec is 1.5 (1.5 threads per mm of length). The diameter is 14 mm. Not 12 mm. If you look at the studs carefully, you will see that the stud diameter is stepped. It appears that the stud threads are ground down to approximately 12 mm for a few tenths of an inch before the 14 mm threads engage. This allows the lug nut threads to slip over the initial threads on the stud before they engage the 14 mm threads. Don't ask me why they do this. The wrench size is 22 mm, although 7/8 in is OK.

The real question is why are no security lug nuts provided on the 2009 CTS-V like they were on the 2004-2007 CTS-V.

Greg*
03-05-09, 01:43 PM
the real question is why are no security lug nuts provided on the 2009 cts-v like they were on the 2004-2007 cts-v.

Looks like GM offers them. Part# is 17801711.

Nine Ball
03-07-09, 08:49 AM
Gent above is correct, the lug nuts are indeed 14mm x 1.5

You can buy some nicer looking Gorilla lugs/lock kit at Discount Tire for about $50. I just installed a set this week.

qictrk
03-07-09, 04:20 PM
Thanks to all. They are indeed 14mm 1.5. Cecil...........

tedcmiller
03-07-09, 09:44 PM
The GM part number specified by Greg* seems to be available only through GM Parts Direct and is a $98.00 kit consisting of four security nuts plus 20 additional non-security nuts. However, near the bottom it specfies that the kit is only applicable to 20 in. accessory wheels - not the 19 in factory wheels supplied on the 2009 CTS-V. No thread specs are provided. I don't think I would order this kit for the 2009 CTS-V.

musclesbmf
03-09-09, 12:49 AM
Gent above is correct, the lug nuts are indeed 14mm x 1.5

You can buy some nicer looking Gorilla lugs/lock kit at Discount Tire for about $50. I just installed a set this week.

Can you look on your Gorilla box and tell me the part number? Also, is it the 20 lock set or just the 4 lock set?

Thanks,
Mark

tedcmiller
03-19-09, 08:07 PM
The lastest that I have determined is that Cadillac increased the wheel stud diameter from 12 mm to 14 mm for 2009 on the CTS-V. As a result, GM has no wheel locks (as Gorilla calls them) available for any 2009 CTS cars. This probably explains why no security type lug nuts are provided on the 2009 CTS-V. Now, McGard, which was the wheel lock vendor for the 2004-2007 CTS-V, has no 14x1.5 mm wheel lock nuts available that match the length of the lug nuts provided on the 2009 CTS-V. I measured the length of the lug nuts on my 2009 CTS-V and determined that the overall length is 1.415 in. Gorilla has three 14x1.5 mm thread wheel locks that measure 1.5 in. in overall length which is close enough. Unfortunately no one locally had any of the three part numbers in stock and the Gorilla web site does not give enough information to determine the internal depth of these locks (the existing lug nuts are about 1.35 in. in internal depth). So, I got a local tire and wheel distributor who had some 14x1.5 mm Gorilla wheel locks (all too long), to order Gorilla part number 61641 (four wheel locks and one matching wrench) which, IMO, is the closest of the three in appearance to the existing lug nuts. This part number also has the same conical base as the existing nuts. When the locks come in, I will update this post with the results.

The other two Gorilla part numbers that might be OK (and are probably cheaper) are 61641N and 71641. You can see all of these nuts on the Gorilla web site.

Greg*
03-20-09, 10:10 AM
No thread specs are provided. I don't think I would order this kit for the 2009 CTS-V.

Part#17801711 will fit the 09' V despite what the GM Direct parts web site list.I have looked this up in a GM catalog using the Vin# off a 09' V. The catalog list this kit to include 4 locks and 20 nuts that are all chrome and are M14 X 1.5. Hope this helps.

musclesbmf
03-20-09, 04:01 PM
The lastest that I have determined is that Cadillac increased the wheel stud diameter from 12 mm to 14 mm for 2009 on the CTS-V. As a result, GM has no wheel locks (as Gorilla calls them) available for any 2009 CTS cars. This probably explains why no security type lug nuts are provided on the 2009 CTS-V. Now, McGard, which was the wheel lock vendor for the 2004-2007 CTS-V, has no 14x1.5 mm wheel lock nuts available that match the length of the lug nuts provided on the 2009 CTS-V. I measured the length of the lug nuts on my 2009 CTS-V and determined that the overall length is 1.415 in. Gorilla has three 14x1.5 mm thread wheel locks that measure 1.5 in. in overall length which is close enough. Unfortunately no one locally had any of the three part numbers in stock and the Gorilla web site does not give enough information to determine the internal depth of these locks (the existing lug nuts are about 1.35 in. in internal depth). So, I got a local tire and wheel distributor who had some 14x1.5 mm Gorilla wheel locks (all too long), to order Gorilla part number 61641 (four wheel locks and one matching wrench) which, IMO, is the closest of the three in appearance to the existing lug nuts. This part number also has the same conical base as the existing nuts. When the locks come in, I will update this post with the results.

The other two Gorilla part numbers that might be OK (and are probably cheaper) are 61641N and 71641. You can see all of these nuts on the Gorilla web site.

Thanks for the info on the Gorilla parts. Do remember if gorilla has the 20 lock set? I had that on my Z06 and like it a lot.

Thanks,
Mark

tedcmiller
03-20-09, 06:23 PM
Yes, 20-piece (16 non-security and four security nuts plus a matching wrench) sets are available, but I did not check on prices since I was looking for the four security nuts (with a matching wrench) only.

Just as a matter or interest, even though some previous DTSs and the 2004-2007 CTS-V series used McGard security nuts, my wife's 2008 DTS uses Gorilla security nuts.

tedcmiller
03-25-09, 08:59 PM
As promised, I am providing an update on Gorilla wheel locks. The wheel locks (security lugs) that I ordered came in, and I installed them on the car in place of four of the standard lugs. They seem to work fine, but there are a few things that should be mentioned. One is that the Gorilla wheels locks are about 1/10 inch longer than the standard lug nuts. However, this factor, while noticeable if you are looking for it, is not a significant difference and IMO in OK. Another fact is that, due to the larger wheels on the rear, the lug nuts actually sit farther back in the nut recesses on the rear wheels, and the length difference is less obvious. Last, but not least, is the the fact that the lug nuts (at least on my car) are polished rather than chrome like the Gorilla wheel locks. This means that there is a slight "color" difference between the standard lug nuts and the Gorilla wheel lock. Obviously this can be avoided if you want to spring for the extra cash to get a full set of 20 chrome matching nuts.

Finally, the Gorilla web site says that the Guard Wheel Locks have a "free-spinning" sleeve. The sleeve is present but is not free-spinning. It is fixed and is actually a part of the forged lug nut.

neuronbob
03-25-09, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the update, Ted. I'm also looking at ordering these. Do you have any pictures?

tedcmiller
03-26-09, 12:16 AM
The Gorilla web site has pictures of all their wheel locks and lug nuts (Google "Gorilla lug nuts"). I ordered the Guard version (61641 Acorn) because, with the sleeve, they most closely resemble the existing nuts. As I mentioned in a previous post to this thread, part numbers 61641N and 71641N will probably work fine, but, as you will see, do not look as much like the existing nuts as 61641. The place that ordered 61641 for me had a Gorilla set numbered 61643, which no longer appears on the Gorilla web site, but they were over 1 & 5/8 inch long. This extra length becomes very obvious when the existing nuts are only 1.4 inches long.

I also might mention that I could find no way to order anything directly from Gorilla online, except their catalog. Discount Tire ordered them for me.

CoOlSlY
01-13-10, 10:09 PM

[EDIT] Just read Tedcmiller review, just wondering if Ted, you would recommend the 61641? Does Gorilla have polished ones and do you know the part number for the 20 lugs?

dvandentop
01-13-10, 10:40 PM
when i took my wheels off last night i was surprised that they were such odd sized compared to my other gm cars.

tedcmiller
01-13-10, 11:13 PM
I would recommend the Gorilla 61641s. They are not noticeably longer than the standard lug nuts (see previous posts). As far as I know, Gorilla does not have polished wheel locks available - only chrome. The part numbers and pictures for all Gorilla wheel lock sets (4 and 20 pieces) are available on their web site.

CoOlSlY
01-13-10, 11:35 PM
I would recommend the Gorilla 61641s. They are not noticeably longer than the standard lug nuts (see previous posts). As far as I know, Gorilla does not have polished wheel locks available - only chrome. The part numbers and pictures for all Gorilla wheel lock sets (4 and 20 pieces) are available on their web site.

Overall, after a while, do you get used to the color difference?

tedcmiller
01-14-10, 04:48 PM
Yes. The color difference (chrome vs. polished) is not really noticable, unless you are looking for it.

CTSVXX
01-30-10, 12:45 PM
Thanks to "tedcmiller" for the research on these wheel locks. I recently purchased a set from am@zon and installed them on the vehicle. As indicated in his research, these are not an exact match however, close enough. Personally, I do not believe they detract from the overall appearance of the vehicle.

Wheel locks may not be 100% effective in preventing theft...but may be enough of a deterrent to cause a potential thief to move on to the next vehicle. Besides these locks are inexpensive and worth the added security they provide.

MrPMS
03-27-10, 04:32 PM
quote=Greg*;1814572]Part#17801711 will fit the 09' V despite what the GM Direct parts web site list.I have looked this up in a GM catalog using the Vin# off a 09' V. The catalog list this kit to include 4 locks and 20 nuts that are all chrome and are M14 X 1.5. Hope this helps.[/quote]

Regarding GM part# 17801711, I ordered a set, and they are MUCH too long... 2 inch overall length vs 1.4 inches. I'm out $120 and still need to get a set of lug nuts.:gah:

CoOlSlY
03-27-10, 05:12 PM
quote=Greg*;1814572]Part#17801711 will fit the 09' V despite what the GM Direct parts web site list.I have looked this up in a GM catalog using the Vin# off a 09' V. The catalog list this kit to include 4 locks and 20 nuts that are all chrome and are M14 X 1.5. Hope this helps.

Regarding GM part# 17801711, I ordered a set, and they are MUCH too long... 2 inch overall length vs 1.4 inches. I'm out $120 and still need to get a set of lug nuts.:gah:[/QUOTE]

Just installed Gorilla 61641 2 minutes ago! Bizarre that you posted in that thread :)

They go deep enough so you can hardly notice the color difference... 30$ shipped almost anywhere on the web. (Amazon for example). I think it's worth it so far but as said, just installed them ;)

MrPMS
03-28-10, 12:52 AM
Regarding GM part# 17801711, I ordered a set, and they are MUCH too long... 2 inch overall length vs 1.4 inches. I'm out $120 and still need to get a set of lug nuts.:gah:

Just installed Gorilla 61641 2 minutes ago! Bizarre that you posted in that thread :)

They go deep enough so you can hardly notice the color difference... 30$ shipped almost anywhere on the web. (Amazon for example). I think it's worth it so far but as said, just installed them ;)[/QUOTE]

I'm also going the Gorilla route this time. I need more than just the locks... I need all the lug nuts as well. I found part#91743 that includes locks and nuts, 1.4" length, 1.5x14mm. Looks like just what I need. About $40 from Amazon, shipping included.