: infamous speedo TC/ABS/check engine problem

frk203
03-03-09, 08:00 PM
hi guys i know there is tons of posts on this problem and trust me i read most of them

here is the problem im having, like most others the speedometer dosent work with the TC/ABS and check engine lights on. but unlike some of the others power steering works fine!

now first thing i did was scan codes and when i got code u2108 i thought it might be like all others said, so i took out the EBTCM and sent it to one of the repairs company to repair it, except they sent it back and said they completly tested it and everything was working good on it.

so now i though i should change the speed sensor, but i find out there is 4 of them :confused:, is there any way to test the speed sensors? what othere things might cause this problem?

here is a list of the codes im getting:
1. P1700 Transmission Mil Request
2. U2108 Lost communication with ABS/TCS control system
3. P0571 Cruise Control Brake Switch Fault (this one is a recent one)

Also there is another really weired problem with the radio, it only works when the key is in OFF mode, if i turn the egnition on the radio dosent work :cookoo:
this is not a big deal but maybe its related some way (some wires crossed maybe?)

98 Catera
03-03-09, 08:26 PM
I've read on here somewhere before about the radio problem... i belive it has to do with the mulitfuction relay?

AHazzardToAll
03-03-09, 09:33 PM
multifunction relay is always a good bet. you'll also possibly come across issues like the gas and trunk popper not working. sometimes sunroof issues. and other odd elect. issues.

drummer07
03-09-09, 05:52 PM
i am having this exact same problem! dammit!

drummer07
03-09-09, 08:18 PM
also, for anybody who has had this problem fixed, how much did it cost?

catera00
03-16-09, 04:58 PM
When my EBTCM went bad, my power steering worked fine most of the time. Sometimes it wouldnt though. So dont let that fool you. I had mine rebuilt at http://www.modulemaster.com/en/index.php I just went to their site and it looks like it only costs $160 to rebuild em now. I paid $200-ish. I am very happy with the rebuild. They guarantee it for a few years and they are easy to work with. Their site even shows you how to remove the module: http://www.modulemaster.com/en/Cadillac/Catera_info.php The dealer wanted $1200 to replace mine. Its easy to do. A little bit of a pain to remove but nothing major.

My post on EBTCM: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/132533-ebtcm-removed-now-what.html

JAMESMABRY
03-16-09, 05:16 PM
I have the same problem with the EBTCM except my power steering gets stiff. My guy has it narrow down to the EBTCM. Now the radio I have had that and take a look at your fuses under the dashboard you have one that is bad that fixed mine.

kaustein
03-16-09, 08:54 PM
hi guys i know there is tons of posts on this problem and trust me i read most of them

here is the problem im having, like most others the speedometer dosent work with the TC/ABS and check engine lights on. but unlike some of the others power steering works fine!

now first thing i did was scan codes and when i got code u2108 i thought it might be like all others said, so i took out the EBTCM and sent it to one of the repairs company to repair it, except they sent it back and said they completly tested it and everything was working good on it.

so now i though i should change the speed sensor, but i find out there is 4 of them :confused:, is there any way to test the speed sensors? what othere things might cause this problem?

here is a list of the codes im getting:
1. P1700 Transmission Mil Request
2. U2108 Lost communication with ABS/TCS control system
3. P0571 Cruise Control Brake Switch Fault (this one is a recent one)

Also there is another really weired problem with the radio, it only works when the key is in OFF mode, if i turn the egnition on the radio dosent work :cookoo:
this is not a big deal but maybe its related some way (some wires crossed maybe?)

I encountered t/c light on, no speedo, no cruise, no abs, and cel on. It was the ABS module. Dealer want 2000 to fix it, but they are idiots! I had a subbie tech friend take it out, I fedexed to modulemaster for repair and they shipped it back.

Started it Monday and back on the road by Friday same week. I cost $150 to take out/ re-install, $200 for repair, $60 total shipping. Has worked fine since then, and mod masters guarantee their work for 5 years and a new GM part 1 year.

eastsidercaddy
03-16-09, 10:58 PM
Think this is what's getting at me. Low power steering during low idle, like parking this things a bitch, the traction control will stay off if tires slip in the rain, and random TC and ABS lights turn on whiile driving. Good to know that this module can actually be rebuilt correctly for a good price. I have to rev the engine when i start it past 2000RPM in order for the power steering to kick in and also the heat to go full blast and my lights are at half illumination until i do this. Then everything is fine. I'll be replacing mine soon. Great info!!

caditech2001
03-23-09, 01:17 PM
The auxillary water pump on the left front strut tower can cause the radio problem, it also blows a fuse but not sure which one off hand, also the cruise control motor can cause the abs/tcs light if there is water in it, they are all related to the same circuit, but that only applies if it is the old style throttle body with cables.......might be worth checking

caditech2001
03-23-09, 04:23 PM
The auxillary water pump on the left front strut tower can cause the radio problem, it also blows a fuse but not sure which one off hand, also the cruise control motor can cause the abs/tcs light if there is water in it, they are all related to the same circuit, but that only applies if it is the old style throttle body with cables.......might be worth checking

made a mistake......its on the right front strut tower.....by the coolant overflow