: Fully Polished Aluminum Strut Tower Brace for 98+Seville and 00+ Deville

97EldoCoupe
03-03-09, 07:10 PM
After I finish the mounts my next project is fabricating strut tower braces for the newer body Seville and Deville.

It'll bolt directly in place across the strut towers and the main member will consist of 1" diameter solid aluminum bar- lightweight and very rigid. I've got the measurements and the prototype- I'll be sending off some blueprints to the fabrication shop and they're going to laser cut the ends for me. Each one will be fully polished: it'll make the engine bay stand out and keep the strut towers from flexing around corners.

I don't have any photos yet. They're coming soon. First thing's first. Get those engine mounts done and shipped out.

CadillacSTS42005
03-03-09, 07:27 PM
Dev boys will like this
Sev boys already have a STB brace option
GM makes one

codewize
03-03-09, 07:45 PM
Now you know I'm going to be all over this. :bouncy:

Have you actually looked at the 2000 + Devilles before saying you can make this? I think you might be in for a surprise.

Incidentally, on the Deville series car, the flex isn't a problem. GM designed a bracing cross member into the firewall area just for that reason. The Devilles, stock are far more sturdy than the Seville series cars so this will be totally for show.

Ranger
03-03-09, 08:01 PM
If there IS any flexing going on I'm oblivious to it.

97EldoCoupe
03-03-09, 08:27 PM
Personally Ranger I don't think there is much flexing, if any at all. Some say they notice a difference with a brace bolted in place.

Codewise you're right about that, I was just thinking about the fact that the Devilles switched to the newer platform almost identical to the Seville. There will be some differences. I have a 2000 Deville in need of HG's right now so when I pull it in the shop for that it's a good time to examine the options.

codewize
03-03-09, 09:32 PM
What you're going to find is that it'll be impossible to make a straight point-to-point piece.

The brake reservoir is in that line and protrudes higher than the strut towers. The only option is to go around it.

Trust me, I had the Seville brace in my hand and looked at every option before selling it. I was very determined to make it work but it just wasn't happening.

Now, I suppose you could 'box in the reservoir and come off that with straight tubing. Know what I mean? It would have to be strong with a little space because you don't want the brace to break the reservoir

eyekandyboats.inc
03-04-09, 07:01 AM
a strut brace sounds cool! how about some Anti sway bars? i mean i know its a big heavy car, but it sways a fiar amount in a turn onto a on ramp if i am doing it at a fair speed.
P.S. what DIA of tubeing.. it will need some "NX8" logos to brand your product kinda like this
http://www.mjmautohaus.com/catalog/images/strut_brace_mk4_3.jpg

codewize
03-04-09, 02:21 PM
Now there's something. The DTS has some pretty nice sway bars but they could be improved on.

A thicker sturdier sway-bar with upgraded bushings would be even more welcomed.

CadillacSTS42005
03-06-09, 12:07 AM
Bonni GXP Sways...

codewize
03-06-09, 08:11 AM
Didn't we decide that they wouldn't work on a DeVille ?
Bonni GXP Sways...

99Classillac
03-06-09, 09:24 AM
I want some. I need my DTS to be a performance monster, even though I cant tune the engine and make more power, I can try to do some handling mods. I won't be able to take a Challenger SRT8 in straight line, but if I can make a win outta beating it in some turns, that would be sweet. Not that I plan on racing a SRT8 around some turns or nothing, but to theoretically be able to say I can would be nice. Never mind. I just want it.

codewize
03-06-09, 10:52 AM
The first thing you want to do the create a handling monster is to lower it. You're going to loose ride quality but that's definitely the place to start.

Another thing to do is lower profile tires. If you're running the stock 235-55-17 do a +1 size which I think works out to 235-50-18 ?

I'm really regretting not going to 18" when I did my wheels but the tire cost is astronomically more.

quantum
03-06-09, 11:56 PM
I don't feel much flex in the DTS either, and I push it to the limit around turns and such every once in a while. But in all fairness, there's nothing to compare flex (or lack of) too. :D The 01 base Dev is a whole 'nuther story...

What is the ETA for the mounts?