: How many of you daily drove your new V this winter?

neuronbob
03-03-09, 02:02 PM
I am doing my due diligence prior to potential purchase of a CTS-V. I am coming from an AWD non-Cadillac car and live in the Cleveland area.

My question is simple: now that we've got a whole winter of 2009 CTS-V goodness, how many of you living in snowy climes daily drove your V in the snow. I've seen a few threads on winter tires but not much on the winter drive experience.

My V will be my daily driver. It's got four doors, a trunk, and a Corvette engine...I don't see why I can't drive it during the winter. it may even be stored outside at times because wife won't give up her parking space in the garage and I have an S2000 garage queen that takes up the other bay. The question is therefore nontrivial to me.

While I'm at it, which dealers have people had a positive experience with in the Cleveland area, and who will take GMS or GM F&F? Though honestly, I'm more likely to go with Superior...only a three + hour drive from me.

Thank you so much!

readyact
03-03-09, 06:32 PM
I am doing my due diligence prior to potential purchase of a CTS-V. I am coming from an AWD non-Cadillac car and live in the Cleveland area.

My question is simple: now that we've got a whole winter of 2009 CTS-V goodness, how many of you living in snowy climes daily drove your V in the snow. I've seen a few threads on winter tires but not much on the winter drive experience.

My V will be my daily driver. It's got four doors, a trunk, and a Corvette engine...I don't see why I can't drive it during the winter. it may even be stored outside at times because wife won't give up her parking space in the garage and I have an S2000 garage queen that takes up the other bay. The question is therefore nontrivial to me.

While I'm at it, which dealers have people had a positive experience with in the Cleveland area, and who will take GMS or GM F&F? Though honestly, I'm more likely to go with Superior...only a three + hour drive from me.

Thank you so much!

I'm in Dayton and I got my V2 in December so I drove it in the snow a couple of times as I could not stand just letting it sit in garage. I kept my 2002 Bonneville SSEi just so I didn't have to drive the V2 in the winter, but I could not resist. I'll put it this way it is not wise to drive the V2 in the snow, slush or ice with the Michelin PS2s on it as the car WILL GET LOSE on you. If you must drive it year round get the Pirelli or other winter tires everyone has spoke of in the other threads like the one below:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/159069-after-market-cts-v-wheels-winter.html

Richie18
03-03-09, 06:51 PM
I'm in Dayton and I got my V2 in December so I drove it in the snow a couple of times as I could not stand just letting it sit in garage. I kept my 2002 Bonneville SSEi just so I didn't have to drive the V2 in the winter, but I could not resist. I'll put it this way it is not wise to drive the V2 in the snow, slush or ice with the Michelin PS2s on it as the car WILL GET LOSE on you. If you must drive it year round get the Pirelli or other winter tires everyone has spoke of in the other threads like the one below:

It is very dangerous to drive any cars with PS2's below 35F. They become very very hard. Doing so puts yourself and others in great danger.

With that said the CTS-V with the proper winter tire setup should handle the snow just fine as long as you're not trying to help the city plow the streets.

Most people haven't been exposed to huge performance difference a winter tire makes on winter performance. Winter tires can bring your car to a stop sometimes as long as 2 and 1/2 car lengths shorter than an All-Season setup.

The real question comes down to what tire should you run?

With 19" tires the options are few but there are great choices out there, the most highly recommended winter tire is the Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25. Its also recommended to get a smaller width tire than the wide stock tires to also improve winter performance.

urbanski
03-03-09, 07:28 PM
where near cleveland? i grew up there

neuronbob
03-03-09, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the answers, guys. It's pretty much as I thought. I already knew the summer tires on the V would have to be changed out. A set of snow tires, keep Stabili-Trak on, and I'm pretty much set, it appears.

urbanski, I live in nice, quiet Bedford.

Short-Throw
03-04-09, 09:15 AM
I have driven my V2 all winter with Pirelli sotto 240s. I had some bad luck and blew a tire by hitting a pothole last month and was forced to put my PS2's back on the car for 2 days. They felt like hockey pucks. With the Pirelli's the car has been sure-footed and offer traction beyond expectation. Also, many think that winter tires are for snow only......not true, they are for cold temps and are more flexible offering great grip.

In case you missed the pic I posted last December:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3206/3115160438_3aebec1441_o.jpg

Let me know if you'd like further info.

Mike

OldDrummer55
03-04-09, 09:55 AM
I have driven my V2 all winter with Pirelli sotto 240s. I had some bad luck and blew a tire by hitting a pothole last month
Mike

Ouch! :eek: I take it your rim held up from the winter assault by the Chitown streets?

neuronbob
03-04-09, 10:04 AM
Thanks, Short-Throw!

Razorecko
03-04-09, 10:16 AM
I can't stand these craters we get. Last year i destroyed a runflat tire and cracked the forged oem rim on my jeep srt. This is why for the winter i'm a huge advocate of a runflat tire. I dont want to be freezing my ass off putting on a donut or sealing a tire on the side of 294.

Short-Throw
03-04-09, 02:16 PM
Ouch! :eek: I take it your rim held up from the winter assault by the Chitown streets?

Ha, I wish. It needed a small cosmetic repair. I avoided 10 out of 11. :mad:

There was a line of cars that were pulled over besides me that got nailed. It was almost comical.

I've really enjoyed the luxury part of this car, now that the season will be turning soon, performance is on deck!

Mike

RogersV
03-04-09, 05:55 PM
Had mine since 1-17-09 and have had no winter problems. :D :hide:

neuronbob
03-04-09, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the comments. Keep them coming.

Cleveland roads are just as awful and in these awful economic times, cities around here are slower to patch up the massive potholes. It's a reason I avoided 19's on my current luxury car, I have a blowout a year on average because of potholes. If I buy this car--a Thunder Gray auto with nav, Ultraview, and regular seats has my name on it somewhere :) --I plan to buy a second set of wheels, perhaps 18's if I can find some, with decent snow tires.

After all, 25 years ago, before FWD was the norm, everyone drove RWD and used snow tires, or at least that's how I remember it. :D

caddiedrummer
03-04-09, 09:09 PM
Drove mine to work everyday in the cold. We did not get snow/ice till the other day and left the V on the lift in the garage and took the F 150 to work.

Cub Cadet
03-04-09, 10:16 PM
I am in the Medina area and the best dealer to use around NE OH is Dave Towell in Akron. Ted Davis is a great salesman to use there and will allow all of your discounts. I highly recommend them.

RapidRob
03-04-09, 10:59 PM
Let me know if you'd like further info.

Mike

Well Mike, I'm still trying to find a source for a 2nd set of OEM rims to install a set of winter tires on. I know you found a private source for your set, but I guess the only other source is to go through a dealer, which I hate to do because they usually overcharge like hell.:rant2:

Any ideas ... ?

Rob

neuronbob
03-05-09, 01:58 AM
I am in the Medina area and the best dealer to use around NE OH is Dave Towell in Akron. Ted Davis is a great salesman to use there and will allow all of your discounts. I highly recommend them.

Thank you very much for the local option.

Albertan
03-05-09, 03:52 PM
RogersV
Very funny, I see where you live! Just wait til hurricane season...
That's for making fun of our endless winter....-11C with 25 mph wind!

Dale Pittman
03-05-09, 08:53 PM
Your success in winter might depend where in Cleveland you are. If your on the west side should be Ok with good tires. On the east side in the snow belt area you might have a few days when it is not going to work out so well even with the best tires. I live just south of the snow belt, east of Akron and depending on the winds we get hit hard with snow as well. I drove rwd preformance cars for years and allways had trouble a few days each year. Also depends on how much interstate you drive vs. secondary roads, which may not get plowed as good as the larger roads.

Good Luck with the new car and be sure to bring it out to Norwalk when you get it this summer. I tuned a friends 08' STS-V to run 13.0's and have a good time with it every so often out there.

Thanks,
Dale

YoshiV
03-06-09, 02:02 AM
I drove my V1 all winter in the Cleveland area with a set of Sottozero's. I have zero complaints...it actually drives better in snow than the front drive Cobalt SS it replaced. It's so heavy it plods through just about anything. I spend time on both sides of town so I saw plenty of the deep stuff. I'm not gonna lie...it's actually a fun car to drive in snow, if ya know how to have fun.

neuronbob
03-06-09, 05:52 AM
I'm a far East sider so I see lots of snow. January and February were particularly tiresome this year!

You replaced a Cobalt SS with a CTS-V? Now THAT's an upgrade. Where did you buy, Yoshi?

Dale, I had my current car dynoed at Buschur's, out your way as it is one of the very few shops in the area with an AWD dyno, so I can find my way out to Norwalk. In a V, the long drive from the East Side would certainly be entertaining.