: Appreciating your V

lollygagger8
03-03-09, 01:12 PM
So, I've been driving my big dumb Jeep around most of the winter since it's crappy out and bitterly cold. Here and there, I'll get to take the Caddy out on a nice sunny day but that's not so often.

Maaaaannn, if you ever think your V isn't all that, just go drive a p.o.s. around for a week and come back to it. You'll go back to appreciating it alot more and be glad again that you bought it! :2thumbs:

perfect
03-03-09, 01:48 PM
I couldn't agree more!

I've spent most of this winter driving my old 99 Suburban. It has the 5.7L Vortech, that has absolutely no balls what-so-ever. It has the most detached steering and anemic brakes I've ever encountered.

On the rare days when it is 60+ degrees out, I take the V and enjoy every moment of it!!

Jon
03-03-09, 01:54 PM
I haven't driven mine since last October. I'm really dying to take it out. I don't care how many people bitch and complain about their Vs, I love mine.

I'm also upgrading my daily driver to something nicer....

CTSV_510
03-03-09, 02:09 PM
I drove a PT Cruiser around for a week while my maggie bearings were being replaced. :crying:

Boy did I appreciate the V when I had it back running again! Just over a year of ownership now and I still look for excuses to drive somewhere.

I don't know how I ever lived without it. :noidea:

Albertan
03-03-09, 02:57 PM
This has got to be the LONGEST winter I can ever remember. It snowed Dec 5th and it has been just getting deeper ever since. I took the V out one Saturday when it was semi-warm. It was wonderful, unfortunately I had to wash it the next morning while the streets were still frozen so I could get it home clean. This morning roads were so bad a firetruck rolled and ambulances went in ditches. It is supposed to snow and get colder later on in the week!
Maybe April will be nice.

rand49er
03-03-09, 03:17 PM
Had mine out twice since late December, and last Saturday was one of those two days. Dry and clear here right now (26 deg Woo Hoo!) and am thinking about going somewhere ... ANYWHERE!

52many
03-03-09, 04:14 PM
Appreciated the car every day, so far. Left Fri a.m. for Boston and back yesterday... 1,735 miles. It's my dd. Trip went great; mother -in-law riding in back was amused at my discussion with the Massachusetts Statey. :mad2:
High point of trip was final toll booth acceleration test when my wife told me I was acting like a child.:yup:

streetside1
03-03-09, 04:30 PM
My V has been in the garage since November.
I miss it so much. The fact that I can't drive it because of all the salt and sand on the roads is so f***ing depressing. With the weather as it is, it probably won't be driven until the end of April.

In the summer I drive my Eclipse a couple days a week, just so I never start taking the V for granted.

smoothq
03-03-09, 05:08 PM
Dont forget everybody to at least start your car once or twice a month. Just to move the valves to different positions. I would hate to see anybody bend, float, or break a valve after letting it sit so long. Just an FYI:thumbsup:

thebigjimsho
03-03-09, 07:15 PM
One more winter without the V. Then V2. And that one will see snow...

rand49er
03-03-09, 09:27 PM
... Then V2. And that one will see snow...Big Jim, say it ain't so!

thebigjimsho
03-03-09, 10:09 PM
Big Jim, say it ain't so!
I will be keeping the V1 as well, ya know...

TaVern
03-03-09, 11:04 PM
One more winter without the V. Then V2. And that one will see snow...

I will be keeping the V1 as well, ya know...

The V2 will see snow but the V1 won't?

Good man.

ccextra1976
03-03-09, 11:16 PM
2 things

1) I usally keep a car three-four years max...mod it how I like and then get bored and buy something else. So the other day I was thinking :hmm: where do I go after a V? I came up with nothing...so for once I think I will keep this car a long time! I love it!! I still drive my Audi during bad weather and every time I get back into my V I kick myself for not buying one instead of the Audi in the first place :banghead:

2) Last night I was flew back into Fort Walton Beach, and what was in the parking lot (outside) a V2. It was dirty as hell and parked inbetween a metro and astro van. I mean who leaves a V in an airport parking lot? He didn't even try to park it in end slot or anything. I was sickened by this disrespect.

FactoryFast
03-03-09, 11:40 PM
I appreciate my V, but its lacking...The fact is the car lacks key features and lots of refinement. You guys that dont drive the V daily will probably appreciate the car way more than a guy like me who easily racks up 550 miles a week and has owned/operated many late model German cars.

Ill keep the V because for now ill do a few mods and see where they take me. Things like adding a little moAr bass(done), bluetooth(scheduled) and CAGS (think ill order it now) should keep me satisifed for a while...

but mark my words....as soon as I sense a high dollar shell out for a serious repair this car will go on the chopping block so fast its gonna make heads spin. Im not impressed with the transmission in this thing one bit. It outright sucks. CAGS is gonna help it out but when i drive my gf's 325i its soooo easy to say I want an M3 next. I just cant afford it right now so im gonna stack chips in the mean time.

shadybx7
03-04-09, 12:55 AM
I appreciate my V, but its lacking...The fact is the car lacks key features and lots of refinement. You guys that dont drive the V daily will probably appreciate the car way more than a guy like me who easily racks up 550 miles a week and has owned/operated many late model German cars.

Ill keep the V because for now ill do a few mods and see where they take me. Things like adding a little moAr bass(done), bluetooth(scheduled) and CAGS (think ill order it now) should keep me satisifed for a while...

but mark my words....as soon as I sense a high dollar shell out for a serious repair this car will go on the chopping block so fast its gonna make heads spin. Im not impressed with the transmission in this thing one bit. It outright sucks. CAGS is gonna help it out but when i drive my gf's 325i its soooo easy to say I want an M3 next. I just cant afford it right now so im gonna stack chips in the mean time.

Whats wrong with the tranny, do you think the ratios are to long or something?
Do you have a short shifter?? it makes a huge difference in shifting gears. get one

FactoryFast
03-04-09, 01:57 AM
Whats wrong with the tranny, do you think the ratios are to long or something?
Do you have a short shifter?? it makes a huge difference in shifting gears. get one

Will I ever be totally satisfied with any car I own? Does any hard core enthusiasts ever? I dont have answers to these personally yet, but it feels like im always gonna find something. I really hate the clutch disengagement noises under load and trying to get the damn thing into Reverse or First at times is frustrating. Putting it into any gear feels crunchy. Whats with the parking brake? I actually think the gearing is cool when compared to my previous cars. I love the RWD but seriously, what the is with the wheel hop? Shame on Cadilllac for releasing the car like that. I would fully expect luxuriously smooth, thick burnouts with little effort. There should be a damn button for it. Because theres never enough buttons and its no secret GM is low in the button feel game. I likes the V2 alot better...

Brass Tax Gentlemen is this: 400hp/395tq 6spd with comfy seats and room for 5. Trunk. Navi. Angry mesh with great looking wheels and Stealth Bomber body lines. Im pumped for this car and I cant wait to experience a summer with this sled. :spin:

Slithering_Joe
03-04-09, 07:18 AM
...2) Last night I was flew back into Fort Walton Beach, and what was in the parking lot (outside) a V2. It was dirty as hell and parked inbetween a metro and astro van. I mean who leaves a V in an airport parking lot? He didn't even try to park it in end slot or anything. I was sickened by this disrespect.

Either the guy has complete freedom of worrying about his ride on where he parks it or he/she is loosing a lot of sleep while on the trip. I would love that freedom as I worry all time of some knucklehead swinging a door into it.

Jon
03-04-09, 08:25 AM
2) Last night I was flew back into Fort Walton Beach, and what was in the parking lot (outside) a V2. It was dirty as hell and parked inbetween a metro and astro van. I mean who leaves a V in an airport parking lot? He didn't even try to park it in end slot or anything. I was sickened by this disrespect.

Called it months ago. That's what happens when you release a car like this in an automatic version. Tons of people who don't give a damn about the car will buy it and use it as a daily car.

lollygagger8
03-04-09, 08:56 AM
I appreciate my V, but its lacking...The fact is the car lacks key features and lots of refinement. You guys that dont drive the V daily will probably appreciate the car way more than a guy like me who easily racks up 550 miles a week and has owned/operated many late model German cars.....
....but mark my words....as soon as I sense a high dollar shell out for a serious repair this car will go on the chopping block so fast its gonna make heads spin. Im not impressed with the transmission in this thing one bit. It outright sucks. CAGS is gonna help it out but when i drive my gf's 325i its soooo easy to say I want an M3 next. I just cant afford it right now so im gonna stack chips in the mean time.

I was going to tell you to move to Germany with zi germans, until you saved yourself with this last part.....

Im pumped for this car and I cant wait to experience a summer with this sled. :spin:

......welcome back :cool:

Bueller
03-04-09, 01:10 PM
Will I ever be totally satisfied with any car I own? Does any hard core enthusiasts ever? I dont have answers to these personally yet, but it feels like im always gonna find something. I really hate the clutch disengagement noises under load and trying to get the damn thing into Reverse or First at times is frustrating. Putting it into any gear feels crunchy. Whats with the parking brake? I actually think the gearing is cool when compared to my previous cars. I love the RWD but seriously, what the is with the wheel hop? Shame on Cadilllac for releasing the car like that. I would fully expect luxuriously smooth, thick burnouts with little effort. There should be a damn button for it. Because theres never enough buttons and its no secret GM is low in the button feel game. I likes the V2 alot better...

Brass Tax Gentlemen is this: 400hp/395tq 6spd with comfy seats and room for 5. Trunk. Navi. Angry mesh with great looking wheels and Stealth Bomber body lines. Im pumped for this car and I cant wait to experience a summer with this sled. :spin:

I just changed my trans fluid out with RP synchromax and it is a totally different animal. No more first and rev issues. Change to any good synthetic and you will see a huge difference. My car only had 25K miles on the stock fill.

thebigjimsho
03-04-09, 06:02 PM
The V2 will see snow but the V1 won't?

Good man.
Mah V1 will always be more special. I'm keeping it forevah!

Cleaner13
03-04-09, 09:27 PM
I definitely need to leave my 2 cents in on this thread. Before anything... I will state ahead of time that I do love my car.

With that said, some of the things in the car disappointed me as well after driving it more. When I looked up this car I was shopping for a sedan for performance, safety, and reliability. It really came down to this car or a Lexus IS300. Both cars had the safety (5 stars), reliability (5 star JD power) and the performance really went to the caddy because I didnt want to start a small project of putting a turbo on the IS300(dont laugh cause a bolt on turbo kit nets 490rwhp on pump gas..) . Needless to say I saw a dealer that had this car listed incorrectly (I got it for $13K with 60K miles) and went with it.

I think what disappoints me most with this car is how its really not "mod friendly" I think alot of it has to do with the computers and emissions etc...I dont like that I can spend $1000 on an exhaust and get 5whp from it. Honestly though doesnt it bother most owners that its a 400hp car and only makes about 320-330rwhp (70-80hp loss)? I mean most LS1s are anywhere from 290-310rwhp; where did all my horspower go? I would have atleast half expected to have 350 at the wheels from the start. Anyways I guess I just thought it was easy hp gains like the LS1s, GNs etc... I figured a few bolt ons would net me 400rwhp and Id be set.

I like the brakes, handling etc.. but I guess I just thought this thing was alot faster then it is (which is why Im trying to mod it).. I dont like the trans terribly much and hopefully a shifter and bushings will help, other then that I do like the rest of the car, the comfort, luxury, sleek style etc...

Anyway END rant. Bottom line is I do like the car, I can change the shifter for the trans and I can add other things to make it perform how Id like, I just have to buy alot more aftermarket then expected.

thebigjimsho
03-04-09, 11:01 PM
Ummm, any LSX powered car is mod friendly. Yes, this car does have a little more drivetrain loss than others, but you can easily get good power.

rangerrob
03-05-09, 04:50 AM
Dont forget everybody to at least start your car once or twice a month. Just to move the valves to different positions. I would hate to see anybody bend, float, or break a valve after letting it sit so long. Just an FYI:thumbsup:

my car has been sitting for the last 7 months... 4.5 left... i was told it would be fine if i didn't start it???? now you've got me freak'n out man... and talk about long winter... try driving in a HMMWV or MRAP for 12 months, i'm going to freak when I get back to the States!

TaVern
03-05-09, 05:01 AM
I definitely need to leave my 2 cents in on this thread.

Honestly though doesnt it bother most owners that its a 400hp car and only makes about 320-330rwhp (70-80hp loss)? I mean most LS1s are anywhere from 290-310rwhp; where did all my horspower go?

The horsepower goes away with the weight of this car. It's basically a 4-door Corvette.

rand49er
03-05-09, 06:20 AM
... I think what disappoints me most with this car is how its really not "mod friendly" ...Geez, wish somebody had told me this! :mad:

CTSV_510
03-05-09, 09:46 AM
Interesting how many non-appreciative heads showed up in this thread.

I find my car also not "mod friendly."

Every time I mod it, it keeps asking for more! :bonkers:

thebigjimsho
03-06-09, 12:42 AM
this thread became crap.

lollygagger8
03-09-09, 11:25 AM
F'n booo on NOT appreciating your V

thebigjimsho
03-09-09, 09:30 PM
mah V may want to rip and roar right now, but in 30 years it'll be happy I kept it out of the salt and muck...