: Powder Coating Wheels

ROG
03-03-09, 10:46 AM
I am getting my extra set of stock wheels powdercoated semi gloss black next week and I have a few questions.

1. Should I get them clearcoated?

2. I plan on putting 4 or 5 coats of wax on them before install. What is the best wax to use to stand up to the brake dust and elements??

tia

814V
03-03-09, 11:00 AM
powdercoat is very strong. there is really no reason to have them clearcoated. the clear will take away from your semi gloss look and just make it glossy

there is no reason to wax them, they are a finished product when they come out of the oven. just more work for yourself.

ps.. hopefully my tires will come in this week so i can run my new stockers

qqik4u
03-03-09, 11:08 AM
Just do gloss powdercoat black - no need for wax. See the pic if you like.

deedubb
03-03-09, 11:10 AM
QQIK4U, did you powder coat your calipers too or paint them? I've read somewhere that there is no rebuild kit for these so you can't powder coat the calipers....not sure if thats true or not.

qqik4u
03-03-09, 11:16 AM
QQIK4U, did you powder coat your calipers too or paint them? I've read somewhere that there is no rebuild kit for these so you can't powder coat the calipers....not sure if thats true or not.

Powder coated the calipers - No Rebuild Kit hmmmmm. Took them apart and get all the soft stuff out and bleed them and give them to the powdercoat guy.

I have been very happy with the powdercoat for two years now. Powdercoat it not paint - especially if you think you maybe tracking :sneaky:

LUVMY04V
03-03-09, 01:25 PM
I was thinking of Clear coating my rims to make them glossier but wasnt sure if you could clear over powder...I know there is a powder clear but i dont want to remove the tires again ???

trambow
03-03-09, 02:33 PM
I just dropped mine off at the shop this morning I went with the semi-gloss powder coat, then a gloss clear powder coat. Im trying to get as close to the color of the car as I can. He is doing them for $65 a wheel, thought it was a decent price.

SkullV
03-03-09, 02:34 PM

I had mine painted to match my car...they put extra hardener in the paint to make it stand up to heat. 2 track days with hard braking on HP+ pads and no discoloration.

814V
03-03-09, 04:11 PM
I just dropped mine off at the shop this morning I went with the semi-gloss powder coat, then a gloss clear powder coat. Im trying to get as close to the color of the car as I can. He is doing them for $65 a wheel, thought it was a decent price.

thats a great deal!

CTSV_510
03-03-09, 06:35 PM
$65/wheel? That's a great price. The best price I found locally was $100/wheel. The next best was $175/wheel.

Why is there such a large range in price everywhere?

trambow
03-03-09, 07:21 PM
Wow, $175 a wheel would have me second guess it. We have a account with them through work that's why I think they did them so cheap. Well Idk what shipping is on 4 wheels but I can get you set up, if you would want to send the wheels to MN.

ROG
03-03-09, 07:35 PM
I am paying $75 per wheel. Another local place quoted $60 per wheel, but they only do gloss black and don't have the reputation the other does.

whisler151
03-03-09, 07:52 PM
My dealer is doing my wheels flat black for a tad over $100/wheel. Plus I get a loaner car and the V hand washed. I just drop off the V, drive off in a 09 CTS and pick up my V in a day or two.

I know I can get it done from $50-$75 around here but I like having the dealer do it. If they get messed up, they can fix them.

trambow
03-03-09, 07:57 PM
Yeah, we don't have any dealers around here that do stuff like that. I would much rather go that route to. It would be nice having a loaner car, and a damn nice one at that. I drove a new 09 cts a couple months back. The interiors make ours look like they are plain.

Vecstasy
03-03-09, 08:02 PM
I did my wheels flat back for 75 a rim.

whisler151
03-03-09, 08:18 PM
I did my wheels flat back for 75 a rim.

Any other pics of your car? Photobucket, Facebook, MySpace...ect

I cant wait till my wheels are done! Flat black looks awesome on Silver Vs.

Vecstasy
03-03-09, 09:14 PM
l'll PM you. I don't want to hijack this guys thread.

814V
03-03-09, 10:53 PM
i want my F*&%ing tires!!!!!!!

814V
03-03-09, 10:55 PM
l'll PM you. I don't want to hijack this guys thread.

im sure he wouldn't mind.. after all you do have the baddest platinum V on the forums :cool2:

ccextra1976
03-03-09, 11:34 PM
im sure he wouldn't mind.. after all you do have the baddest platinum V on the forums :cool2:

^^^^^^ how does the dictate :histeric:

mbiker97
03-03-09, 11:44 PM
I was recommended by my powder coater to put some regular car wax on mine. Skip the clear if you want a semi gloss look though.

ccextra1976
03-04-09, 12:02 AM
I was recommended by my powder coater to put some regular car wax on mine. Skip the clear if you want a semi gloss look though.

:highfive: I wax my wheels too, put like 4 coats on them. Rinse with a little water and detail spray...good as new!! 2 minutes a wheel!

PISNUOFF
03-04-09, 12:03 PM
I put Zaino on my black powdercoated wheels. Makes wiping the dust off easier.