: headlight eyelid's? (pics)

814V
03-03-09, 10:16 AM
so i was thinking about painting the tops of my headlights to hide the scratch defects and i think it gives it a more aggressive look. but is it to boy racer ricer?? i went and got some vinyl sticker material and through it together.. what do you guys think? i just can't decide..

i know its really dirty.. sorry

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m196/dv814/DSCN1780.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m196/dv814/DSCN1781.jpg

urbanski
03-03-09, 10:20 AM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/8th-day-creations/162860-23-88-cts-eyelid-set-03-a.html

deedubb
03-03-09, 10:24 AM
Dayum! Urby was all over that like white on rice in a glass of milk on a paper plate in a snowstorm!

814V
03-03-09, 10:25 AM
i know.. he owned it

but i dont want to buy any.. i wanna know what you guys think

deedubb
03-03-09, 10:36 AM
I personally like it, but then again, I hate the headlights. So anything that helps hide the hideous gray is cool. The color is just a hair off but probably only noticeable in the sun and at this close range. I wish they should have come either black or color matched, not dull gray.

qqik4u
03-03-09, 10:56 AM
I like um - I had the eyelids bought from this forum and they have lasted me for a year front and taillights lids (for a black car w/black eyelids of course).

Nice job.

Mick

nikon
03-03-09, 11:11 AM
I've got the eyelids on my car....the look is ok, but it does a great job of hiding all the scratches.

smokisnshellz
03-03-09, 11:48 AM
That looks like playschool my first race car. I hat ethe lid looks every one here has them on everything form trucks to miatas.

shadybx7
03-03-09, 12:34 PM
I wish they should have come either black or color matched, not dull gray.

:yeah: Color matched!! gray= teh suck

SoJersey05V
03-03-09, 07:44 PM
looks good man

1Sonterra
03-03-09, 08:42 PM
I personally like it, but then again, I hate the headlights. So anything that helps hide the hideous gray is cool. The color is just a hair off but probably only noticeable in the sun and at this close range. I wish they should have come either black or color matched, not dull gray.

Well....I saw a black raven and flat black option on the website.:helpless:

CadzillaTN
03-03-09, 09:02 PM
Id say rice..Kind like an Autozone check out line decal... If you color matched the factort paint perfect, then maybe you could pull it off....

814 how bad are your scratches? Can you post a pic? Before the dealer replaced mine I had some significant scratching. I used some 3M cleaner and polish that I bought for my old rustang headlight cloudiness, it worked great. Got out 70%.

Nutz
03-03-09, 09:27 PM
Painted on with 1/8" 3M pinstripe on paint edge. Used adhesion agent. No effect whatsoever on projection of light.
In my opinion the only ones that look pissed...

814V
03-03-09, 09:36 PM
yea see thats bad ass! i was planning on having them painted to match perfectly.. or i was gonna split them and have them paint matched inside.. i dunno what do to

CTSV_510
03-03-09, 09:41 PM
Painted on with 1/8" 3M pinstripe on paint edge. Used adhesion agent. No effect whatsoever on projection of light.
In my opinion the only ones that look pissed...

Can you post some pics at a side & front corner angle? Looks cool.

Nutz
03-03-09, 09:42 PM
yea see thats bad ass! i was planning on having them painted to match perfectly.. or i was gonna split them and have them paint matched inside.. i dunno what do to

I suggest you do what I did, play with electrical tape in various locations (like this pic), and when you get it where you want it mask it off with painters tape for paint. (That is if you go the paint route).

Nutz
03-03-09, 09:45 PM
Can you post some pics at a side & front corner angle? Looks cool.

Got one corner angle. Here.

04vman
03-03-09, 11:01 PM
Looks too wierd

STAGEUP
03-04-09, 10:09 AM
Looks good derek!

CTS-Voodoo
03-04-09, 02:11 PM
Has anyone tried to take the headlamp assembly apart and just spray them inside? Is this even possible?

Worst case you could always do what I was talking about with a bud. Tape off only the clear areas of the headlight leaving the grey outline, and shoot with weak black for a smoked edge look. Then clear the entire headlight again.

After sanding the headlight of course..

814V
03-04-09, 03:23 PM
Has anyone tried to take the headlamp assembly apart and just spray them inside? Is this even possible?

Worst case you could always do what I was talking about with a bud. Tape off only the clear areas of the headlight leaving the grey outline, and shoot with weak black for a smoked edge look. Then clear the entire headlight again.

I would love to split mine and paint them platinum..

8th Day
03-09-09, 11:25 AM
Our eyelid set comes in color matches for Raven Black and Platinum Silver Metallic:
http://8thdaycreations.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=31

We also offer Matte Black (which is natural for automotive trim pieces) and Dark Tint for those of you with other colors who may want to cover scratched/damaged headlamps or simply protect the tops of these expensive units (which are very prone to unsightly scratches).

Our set also includes covers for the headlamp washer mechanism, the keyslots in the doors and louvered backup lamp covers (which provides a similar look to some of the more expensive aftermarket bezels).

deedubb
03-09-09, 11:29 AM

This guy did it...check his out!
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/album.php?albumid=912

UnsafeAtAnySpd
03-09-09, 12:25 PM
Our eyelid set comes in color matches for Raven Black and Platinum Silver Metallic:
http://8thdaycreations.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=31

We also offer Matte Black (which is natural for automotive trim pieces) and Dark Tint for those of you with other colors who may want to cover scratched/damaged headlamps or simply protect the tops of these expensive units (which are very prone to unsightly scratches).

Our set also includes covers for the headlamp washer mechanism, the keyslots in the doors and louvered backup lamp covers (which provides a similar look to some of the more expensive aftermarket bezels).

Can your kit be ordered with just select pieces or is it all or none?

8th Day
03-09-09, 03:18 PM
Can your kit be ordered with just select pieces or is it all or none?

Sure, just PM me for pricing on which pieces you want.

lollygagger8
03-09-09, 03:38 PM
It looked good on the dark gray, but I'm not sold on the platinum...looks weird

Nero V
03-10-09, 11:25 PM
In regards to opening up the headlights and painting inside, it can be done. I had read an article, possibly on an Avalanche owner's site, where a guy did just that. It would take a while to find, but I can do a little research. He detailed the steps involved. I believe the important part was putting the headlights in the oven to soften the adhesive that holds them together. Temperatures or length of time I don't recall. Once he pulled them apart is was easy to paint inside, then reassemble with adhesive.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
03-10-09, 11:29 PM
Nobody has ever taken apart CTS headlights and got them back together again.

stuckey
03-11-09, 12:01 AM
This guy did it...check his out!
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/album.php?albumid=912

not a fan of the blacked caddy emblem but the rest looks great.

c4ss
03-11-09, 12:06 AM
eh. Looks a little too pepboys-esk for me.