: Installing aftermarket indash, keeping factory nav connected

jordan00escalade
03-03-09, 10:09 AM
Hopefully I will be picking up a 2006 escalade by this weekend. It comes with touch screen navigation.

I would like to keep the factory nav installed and running off 1 custom installed speaker to keep the sounds. The plan is to take the existing speakers and connect those to the Kenwood kvt-819dvd indash monitor. Planning on having the kenwood in the lower cd slot.

Does anyone see any problems I may have with this installation? I would like to retain the steering wheel controls, bells and chimes and the onstar. Is this possible? Thanks for your response in advance.

BTW.. If the deal goes through I'll be changing my name to Jordan06Escalade. lol

jordan00escalade
03-03-09, 12:42 PM
Does anyone have a similar setup?

Lu Scola
03-03-09, 10:40 PM
When you get the truck, PM me and Ill get you through the project. You will need some additional parts.

jordan00escalade
03-04-09, 05:07 AM
Well.. there's are no guarantees, I always get ahead of myself. I've been thinking about this since I had a chance to drive the Escalade.. The front speaker grills have enough room for 2 pair of speakers to be mounted up front. I was thinking I could place another set of mid range's up front and connect them to the lower flip-out monitor. Connect the rear door speakers to the indash flip-out as well. The OEM Nav, could remain connected to the front stock bose speakers.. Hopefully that would retain the function of the steering wheel controls and other features.. And for the kids, I am going for something between 15-20 inch flipdown rear monitor with a dvd built in, or something like that.. That way I could have zones inside the Escalade. The navigation would be my zone while driving.. The front indash would be the wifes zone.. and my two little ones would share the rear. I just wonder if I could get away with this set-up without using the pac components like I have installed in my 2000 Escalade. If I need to get some PAC parts, then I'd just like to add that into my budget now before I start getting too far along in my scheme.. I'm probably too far ahead of myself already though, I'm just excited. Well, we'll see what happens. Thanks for the reply though.. I'll keep you posted

luxurylife33
03-04-09, 11:18 AM
I think you need that pac module to keep the audio steering control buttons.

jordan00escalade
03-04-09, 12:13 PM
The plan was to install a separate speaker just for the OEM nav unit behind the dash somewhere, or just leave the factory Nav connected to the front two speakers and install another set of mid range's in the front along with the factory bose speakers.

Can I leave the factory deck installed with a single speaker, and install another aftermarket player and have them function in harmony? With one speaker connect to the factory, will it still function properly.. Even if that one speaker isn't the factory bose it came installed with?

The plan is to leave the factory Nav unit in place, and fully functional.. Only changes being made will be the factory Nav unit will not be connected to the cabin speakers. I want to have a custom speaker installed so I can still hear the output of the factory unit.

Hope I'm not confusing anyone as to what I'm trying to achieve. I'm just curious if I can make this work, before I get this underway. Thanks

jordan00escalade
03-04-09, 12:15 PM
one more thing.. Note: the Factory Nav and the aftermarket player will not be communicating or connected to each other. They will perform independently. Hope that helps Thanks guys

Lu Scola
03-04-09, 11:30 PM
I knew what you were talking about. You want to still have some audio output from the nav unit for the voice guidance, ect, and have your aftermarket run your stereo audio/video.

jordan00escalade
03-14-09, 02:45 AM
Bump.. PM sent, no response. Any ideas?

jordan00escalade
03-14-09, 01:59 PM
Can I make this work?.. Or will I need to make some adjustments to my plan? Just curious, if someone knows of any problems I'll run into somewhere down the line of having all this done, let me know. I'd appreciate it. ANY and ALL reply's are welcome. Thanks in advance