: Do you drive a 2008 STS with Navigation?

marathonman89
03-03-09, 08:49 AM
If you do, and don't mind sharing, please respond with the percentage of time the Nav unit gets you to within a reasonable distance to the address you selected.

Mine ( with version 5.0 software DVD) works correctly about 80% of the time. Sometimes it takes me out of the way but eventually gets me there other times it just flat thinks we have arrived when we are blocks away or in a few cases miles away.

Took it to the dealer twice and of course it worked there 100% of the time.

Service Manager advised that if he were to replace the unit it would be with a refurbished unit since that is all that is shipped under warranty. He further advised that swapping out the unit might result in radio or CD issues as well as squeaks and rattles with no guarantee that a refurbished unit would actually correct the problem.

The compromise we struck is that GM Customer Service would comp me Turn by Turn directions (via On-Star) for the length of the warranty (3 free years). So now, since Turn by Turn is about 99% accurate I have an adequate solution to get to where I am going with a reasonable degree of accuracy.

But, it still nags at me that the Nav might in fact be inaccurate across the board since other GM vehicles with Navigation I have driven are much more accurate than mine.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Pete

GarryW
03-03-09, 10:49 AM
I made two trips in my 2008 STS from Chicago to Western PA/Cleveland over the past 3 months. During the first trip everything worked flawless. On the second trip I got lost in Cleveland which was strange because the memory point that I was driving to in Brunswick from downtown Cleveland was one that I had used many times before and always worked. I notice that when the GPS icon has a line through it, or when the weather isn't that great that it will not be as accurate. So I would agree that it works pretty good 80-90% of the time. Other problems in the past were attributable to me putting in the wrong address, which gave the wife a good laugh!

craig.martell
03-03-09, 12:34 PM
I have the Nav, but almost always use OnStar turn-by-turn directions.

EChas3
03-03-09, 05:18 PM
My 2006 running Disk Version 4.0 sometimes takes me by an interesting route but if it has the correct destination, I get there (within 50 feet). How often does the GPS get out of whack? How often do you see the null symbol over the compass? Do you live in an area that often has poor radio reception (buildings, canyons, etc.)?

If the unit has ever been out of the car, the GPS antenna wire connector can be stubborn and is easy to break. Your dealer might be able to reproduce it by parking the car on different sides of their building and/or facing different directions.

JMT
03-03-09, 06:23 PM
I take my Garmin Nuvi 350 GPS with me as a backup just in case. The Nuvi gets me to the right spot about 99% of the time compared to the in dash at maybe 85-90%, and after 6 months with my 08 STS I still have trouble figuring out how to operate the in dash unit...

pjbizjak
03-03-09, 07:35 PM
No problems in my 2007 STS. Nav is right on, although it uses main roads it will correct itself if you take a known shortcut.