: Lowering 03' AWD w/ Air ride

JDTDBD
03-03-09, 06:47 AM
I have searched this and other forums only to leave me just as confused as when I started. I want to lower my truck but I keep reading posts talking about how the drop is uneven or computer displays errors or it cost alot in the end to make it work. I have an 03' AWD escalade with air ride suspension. I want to drop it 2/3 and be able to use my stock rims and tires for the winter. Can this be done? Also, what is the reason for the air ride suspension needing a different kit then non air ride? It lowers the shocks so stock air level settings stay the same? Please dont tell me I just answered my own question. Any help is appreciated.

T-Giv
03-03-09, 11:54 AM
I wish I could offer you some assistance but I have been searching for the very same thing. I hope someone finally sheds some light on exactly what needs to be done to succesfully drop my truck. Also I would like to know the final cost of getting everything done so that I can make the most informed decision possible.

luxurylife33
03-03-09, 01:47 PM
I plan on doing the same thing on my 03 awd ext. From what i have gathered the air ride kit is diffrent because your going to have the bend the rod sensors in the back to trick the air ride into thinking its higher. Your goin to need 17" or larger rims to be able to clear the front spindles. The mcgaugheys kit includes everything for a 2/3 drop including the diagram to bend ur rods on. If you follow the instructions you shouldnt have a problem.

luxurylife33
03-03-09, 02:22 PM
The 2/3 kit is $360 i think on their site. The front axles need to come out to replace the spindle so plan on a front diff fluid change. Plan on $400 thats if you dont plan on a wheel bearing, brake pad an rotor change since everything will be off.

haullin
03-03-09, 03:03 PM
What about the torsion key 2/3 drop ? I don't want to have to worry about the 17 inch rims..

luxurylife33
03-03-09, 03:34 PM
Spindle drop will not affect ride quality while torsion drop will be much much stiffer. Its better to spend the extra money for the spindle drop.

sam hamm
03-03-09, 04:42 PM
i have the 2/3 drop on my 03 awd ext. i love it. their has been no errors read and the truck sits pretty even. the only thing that was a pain when installing the kit was you are suppose to bend these two little bars that make your compressor kick on (i think) and mine just broke so i had to cut and glue them back together. also on the stock wheel issue when you put the drop spindles on it sets the wheel up farther so the bolt coming out of the bottom will hit the wheel if its not cut off even with the nut. if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

sam hamm
03-03-09, 04:45 PM
This pic I attached have 26s on. But if you lower your truck and want to put the stock 17s on for winter (like I do), you will have to shave down the bolt with a grinder. VERY easy to do! Just take the wheel off and grind it..

What I did after lowering is put the stock 17" rim on and see where it rubs. You WILL see it! Then use a grinder and shave the bolt until you see clearance, and you will be good to go!

Here is the pic. The light blue color is where the bolt is at! Hope that helps.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/davidle10626/1066-large_e08.jpg

luxurylife33
03-04-09, 12:34 AM
thanks sam!

luxurylife33
03-04-09, 11:42 AM
sam do you remember the size of the axle nut?

ItsAdam1
03-10-09, 12:36 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/davidle10626/1066-large_e08.jpg

Damn that shit is DROPPED, its kinda hard to believe that just a static drop and not bags

Dendensterz
03-26-09, 09:31 PM
Hey Guys,

I didnt mean to jump on this post but my lil bro got his lade lowered with 2/3 eibach pro kit and the left side(driver side) of the vehicle is lower than the right side about half and inch lower. He spoke with the guy that lowered his lade and he sed that thats normal for GM trucks and suv's even when they are at stock height they're a bit uneven. can this be possibly true? get back at me if you guys had experience this or have used eichbach lowering kits. thanks in advance

Rolex
03-26-09, 09:57 PM
Hey Guys,

I didnt mean to jump on this post but my lil bro got his lade lowered with 2/3 eibach pro kit and the left side(driver side) of the vehicle is lower than the right side about half and inch lower. He spoke with the guy that lowered his lade and he sed that thats normal for GM trucks and suv's even when they are at stock height they're a bit uneven. can this be possibly true? get back at me if you guys had experience this or have used eichbach lowering kits. thanks in advance

It is true. There are several threads in this forum about that very topic. The last thread can't be more then a couple of weeks old.

Dendensterz
03-26-09, 10:00 PM
Thanks Rolex

TNTSS
03-27-09, 12:43 AM
Hey if you have half your truck lower than the other with a stock supsension, you should drop her off at the gym. :) LOL

Dendensterz
03-27-09, 08:17 PM
:devilheh: hahaha..But yeah it is really true i just measured my bros wifes lade (stock height) and it was pretty uneven. left side of the vehicle was lower quarter to half inch..is yours lowered? try measuring it even if its stock i want to know the outcome.

cadtimes
02-14-10, 04:39 PM
I plan on doing the same thing on my 03 awd ext. From what i have gathered the air ride kit is diffrent because your going to have the bend the rod sensors in the back to trick the air ride into thinking its higher. Your goin to need 17" or larger rims to be able to clear the front spindles. The mcgaugheys kit includes everything for a 2/3 drop including the diagram to bend ur rods on. If you follow the instructions you shouldnt have a problem.

Im about to buy springs and maybe shock extenders for my 02 I bought a month. My rear has to be lowered for sure but the front looks to be lowered already. :confused: I have 26's. Does the front look stock height? If that height looks lowered .. would the rod sensors had to have been bent?

rollin26s
03-14-10, 10:06 PM
Hey guys! I have an 05 AWD ext. I have 26's on already i want to drop 3/5! Should I? Whats the best? What do i need? will they rub? they rub already stock height...... plz help?

T-Giv
04-04-10, 06:25 PM
Does anyone here have any experience with dropping a Platinum Escalade? They already sit lower than a stock ESV. I don't know how large to go on my drop.

murderedon24s
04-13-10, 04:08 PM
Hey Guys,

It's true. I had an Eibach kit on my '03 AWD and it didn't sit level. I ended up swapping it all out and bagging it and my left side still sits a little bit lower than the right. It's just something with the GM chassis.

QuickSilver_ESV
04-14-10, 11:48 PM
I had a 2004 Avalanche and the rear sat way too high!
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/6/web/3126000-3126999/3126509_18.jpg

I installed 2" rear drop springs, cut the rear bump stops, and lowered the Front Torsions to the LOWEST setting.

the truck looked nice, but the 2" springs were not enough.
I highly recommend 3" rear springs.

Here is a pic of the final result:
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/6/web/3126000-3126999/3126509_25.jpg

For the Escalade, the same local vendor where i got my 2" rears, says the Caddy rear lowering springs include the pins to modify the AutoLevel.

As soon as I lower my 04 ESV i will post pics!