: Why do people need to park near my v????????????

liqidvenom
03-02-09, 11:46 PM
So i get out of work, drive home mostly sideways through this bad weather and decide to go to the store to get some food.

Now let me set this picture up properly for you guys...

The entire row that is in the picture has about 15 empty parking spots that are closer to the store then where i parked. I tried to go as far away as a i can to keep idiots and their door dings away. Out of no-where this nut in a dinged up jeep passes by all of those spots and comes to park next to me. The next freaking spot next to me.

and I was in between the four spots trying to stay away form people sliding into my car if that occurred.

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v651/167/108/54903377/n54903377_31187072_2157588.jpg

the jeep missing the side marker is the culprit, i was parked with my passenger side rear was in the spot that he decided to occupy. he drove past all those spots perpendicular to my door and pulled in behind me.

I just dont f'ing understand why people like to park next to others who are actively trying to park away from others.

CTSV_510
03-02-09, 11:59 PM
I just dont f'ing understand why people like to park next to others who are actively trying to park away from others.

:rofl:

thebigjimsho
03-03-09, 12:23 AM
Dress shoes with a crisp heel comes in handy...

CadzillaTN
03-03-09, 01:06 AM
+1. like me and mr porsche here...easily 1/2 a mile or so from the Target entrance..
http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr78/Memphis-V/img715.jpg

same spot, summer...Stealth Grey V. verrry nice color in person. Lives up to its name. Hadn't seen another V before this one (7 months). All of us, straddling the line on the outermost spot.
http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr78/Memphis-V/dimg243.jpg

on topic,
I went one year successfully without a door ding until last week..sure enough...some ass wipe got me high on the rear driver side fender with what looks to be a nice big SUV door!. its a good one too. The black just amplifies it.
She was flawless before this...well, other than the one small scratch when previous owner opened the trunk with the keys in his hand...but that I buffed out 85%. RIP V

liqidvenom
03-03-09, 01:18 AM
my max was fine until some nut job in a suv or something left a giant bumper mark on my car, then ran away.

and i parked in the furthest away spot i could find. I just dont want that to happen to this v

814V
03-03-09, 02:33 AM
im guilty for parking far away too

Slithering_Joe
03-03-09, 08:23 AM
Once I fell for the bickering of a girlfriend for parking far away. So, I parked where she wanted me to but when I returned I was forced to pick up my tail light lens. I'd rather deal with 3 minutes of bickering than to deal with years of a door ding. Never again will I break down.

Years ago while parked far way, some a__clown was driving diagonally through the parking lot and clipped my rear bumper. How is that possible!? They are out there.....

justin311
03-03-09, 10:27 AM
I'll drive around a parking lot for awhile before I choose where to park. It usually is next to an island out in left field. I try to get as close to that island as possible in case some nut job does try to park next to me I will have that padded space between us. The wife usually gets dropped off at the door, so I don't have to hear all that mess.

OldRoadDawg
03-03-09, 10:51 AM
Parking in a public lot has become almost a science for me requiring constant re-evaluation.

Allowances are made for time of day and potential number of vehicles yet to enter the lot; landscaping strips can be used as a partial barrier, but beware of sprinklers, generally avoiding all trees; weather - wind blowing shopping carts across the lot or the guy who insists upon parking next to you and the wind jerks his door out of his hand and smacks your car; curbs - sometimes you can park partially on the low, curved ones at an odd angle to avoid door dings; slope of the pavement (carts don't roll uphill and generally most people don't like to park on an angled section of the lot); and overhead lighting poles can sometimes be used as a barrier if they don't show evidence as a home for pigeons or other birds.

OK.... so I'm a little OCD when it comes to parking. Had the V 4 yrs. No dings yet.
Of course.... just driving in parking lots scares the schitt out of me. :bonkers:

UnsafeAtAnySpd
03-03-09, 10:56 AM
I do agree that finding the right parking spot is a bit of a science. Even in my old 84 Blazer I try to avoid parking next to other cars (just not as extreme lengths as with the other cars). The way I see it, even if it's cold it's worth the extra walk.

pveomett
03-03-09, 11:00 AM
http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk350/CTS-Veo/Motivational/Envy.jpg

PISNUOFF
03-03-09, 12:34 PM
http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk350/CTS-Veo/Motivational/Envy.jpg

That is awesome.

I admit, when I was in high school I used to park right next to someone who parked out of the way. However, I was ALWAYS careful not to ding the car. Now I park far away from everyone.

ichpen
03-03-09, 12:56 PM
Guilty as charged here. It's a science and all about isolation of door-dinging danger. Park next to curb or island and rule out as many risks from as many sides as possible. Still can't avoid the Volvo driving soccer mom though, she will find you I tell you.

thebigjimsho
03-03-09, 01:04 PM
4 years 9 months ding free...

Slithering_Joe
03-03-09, 01:29 PM
Parking in a public lot has become almost a science for me requiring constant re-evaluation.....
OK.... so I'm a little OCD when it comes to parking. Had the V 4 yrs. No dings yet.
Of course.... just driving in parking lots scares the schitt out of me. :bonkers:

I'm glad I'm in the same group as others.

For ten years my Cobra never got a ding until I had it in for a recall. Nice ding right in the middle of the door when I got it back.

Then, some prick with hate did this in a parking garage:
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z130/Slithering_Joe/My%201996%20Mustang%20Cobra/cobra_ws.jpg
(West Chester, PA)

rand49er
03-03-09, 01:34 PM
... Never again will I break down. ...Way to go, Joe! :highfive:

My wife accepts that I'll park wa-ay out in any parking lot. Even using OldRoadDawg's scientific method doesn't always work, though. There's always some jerk that purposely parks right next to a car that's obviously owned by someone who cares about their car just because. :banghead:

lollygagger8
03-03-09, 02:15 PM
I'll say this again and again and wish it wasn't true, but.......

You can't keep anything nice!! :(

Slithering_Joe
03-03-09, 03:09 PM
No more door-to-door ding if they are all built or modified like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAtkoje4-eM

rand49er
03-03-09, 04:21 PM
No more door-to-door ding if they are all built or modified like this:
YouTube - Disappearing Car Door (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAtkoje4-eM)Yeah, but is there still room for headers? :histeric:

streetside1
03-03-09, 05:18 PM
I park in as obscure and inconvenient spot as I can find. I use islands to my advantage. The girlfriend doesn't complain because I've had the V longer than I've had her and she learned from day one that I'm a "far parker".

Now that I think of it, I have some orange cones, I could make the spot next to me "closed for construction". It would only take a second, it'd be effective and even if someone from the store noticed, at worst I'd be out a couple cones....

liqidvenom
03-03-09, 05:39 PM
That is awesome.

I admit, when I was in high school I used to park right next to someone who parked out of the way. However, I was ALWAYS careful not to ding the car. Now I park far away from everyone.

why on earth did you go out of your way to park next to someone who didnt want others parking near him

liqidvenom
03-03-09, 05:40 PM
I'm glad I'm in the same group as others.

For ten years my Cobra never got a ding until I had it in for a recall. Nice ding right in the middle of the door when I got it back.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z130/Slithering_Joe/My%201996%20Mustang%20Cobra/cobra_ws.jpg
(West Chester, PA)

I would have murdered the guy/gal..... murdered them dead

814V
03-03-09, 05:42 PM
I would have murdered the guy/gal..... murdered them dead

me to, me to bud..

thebigjimsho
03-03-09, 08:06 PM
me to, me to bud..
you're g a y ??

thebigjimsho
03-03-09, 08:06 PM
Bmw z1...

814V
03-03-09, 08:12 PM
you're g a y ??

yup.. thast why i bang lots of hot sluty girls :histeric:

thebigjimsho
03-03-09, 08:21 PM
then why do you go to buds? too?

CTSV_510
03-03-09, 08:24 PM
(West Chester, PA)

Gotta watch out for those West Chester thugs! ;)

A couple of guys got arrested a few months ago because after leaving one of the bars in town, they decided to walk down the street on top of the cars parked on the street. F-ing retards. Damn college town. :annoyed:

...but then again...college towns have lots of them ^^^^ :highfive:

CadzillaTN
03-03-09, 09:30 PM
Anyone ever take the the walk of shame?---aka--- the action of walking back to your CADILLAC to determine if it is locked or not- no matter how f'n far away you are. I can lock my max from what seems like a mile away. V - 2.5 feet.
Of course rear visibility is terrible during the day and downright impossible at night...so I always validate the backup scenario and have a plan before I park. I aso check nearby cars to make sure they wouldn't hit my car within 5 seconds while backing up. Preferably, this is a perfectly flat spot, to avoid e-brake insanity. I too utilize the islands whenever possible.

When some fool has unnecessarily boxed me in, I always conduct the 4 star ding check....if there's a dent that wasn't there the last time I checked (5 minutes ago), and your car's color matches the crime scene, I'll analyze the swing arc for a contact location match... If within 1/2 inch--you win the prize beeyatch!!!

liqidvenom
03-03-09, 09:42 PM

its the only thing that a V owner should do

ccextra1976
03-04-09, 12:51 AM
Dress shoes with a crisp heel comes in handy...

me to, me to bud..

you're g a y ??

then why do you go to buds? too?

Bigjim, he who lives in a glass house shouldn't throw stones:histeric:

I prefer I steel toe work boot, tire wrench, fist, mag-light, but a "dress shoe with a CRISP heel?" what the hell is a CRISP heel?

Keys8541
03-04-09, 01:04 AM
i try to park next to 4 door cars if i can...

ccextra1976
03-04-09, 01:08 AM
i try to park next to 4 door cars if i can...

that could be risky! pos...shorter length of doors, neg...could equal KIDS in back seat!!!

lollygagger8
03-04-09, 12:46 PM
Someone needs to steal my idea, and invent a inflatable bubble that comes out from underneath the car and makes a defense globe around it.

That would take care of dings/dents AND bird $hit! :cursin:

thebigjimsho
03-04-09, 06:44 PM
I prefer I steel toe work boot, tire wrench, fist, mag-light, but a "dress shoe with a CRISP heel?" what the hell is a CRISP heel?Sorry you're too neanderthal to understand. Next time we meet up, I'll show you up close...

thebigjimsho
03-04-09, 06:46 PM
Someone needs to steal my idea, and invent a inflatable bubble that comes out from underneath the car and makes a defense globe around it.

That would take care of dings/dents AND bird ! :cursin:
if you're going to get that inventive, why not blades that come out at shin level whenever someone gets too close?

814V
03-04-09, 06:51 PM
its the only thing that a V owner should do

:word: I can't count how many times my car gets me laid.. so awesome

Slithering_Joe
03-04-09, 07:44 PM
Gotta watch out for those West Chester thugs! ;)

A couple of guys got arrested a few months ago because after leaving one of the bars in town, they decided to walk down the street on top of the cars parked on the street. F-ing retards. Damn college town. :annoyed:

The garage shown there was under construction. The first night after buying the Cobra, I had to park it on the street. Someone tore off the mirror. Six years later, the windshield got trashed. Four days after that the Jeep soft top got slashed. The friggn' thing was unlocked. Lots of cars had been getting trashed in there. My neighbor had his ignition distributor stolen.
Nothing is safe. Nuts.

...but then again...college towns have lots of them ^^^^ :highfive:
W.C. has got lots of that! Many times I would would hear cars get rear-ended from the guys gawking at the girls walking to the bars.

ccextra1976
03-04-09, 10:47 PM
Sorry you're too neanderthal to understand. Next time we meet up, I'll show you up close...

you can SHO me at Vday

CadzillaTN
03-04-09, 11:18 PM
this is my next mod: door ding alarm system-

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr78/Memphis-V/blaster.jpg

thebigjimsho
03-05-09, 12:02 AM
you can SHO me at Vday
sho nuff!

whisler151
03-05-09, 12:04 AM
sho nuff!

I see what you are doing and I don't like it.

Mrslow
03-05-09, 12:10 AM
I usually just park in the middle not too far out but not to close with maybe a few spots between or next to a nice car.. I dont stress out near as much as i did when i use to park my vette.. It sucks stressing out being in a store thinking about it lmao. It is what it is. What gets me is the double space parkers your just asking for it if you do that lol. Ive seen it alll on the vette forum. All I can say is have good INS. When i first got my c5 had had parked in a subway at the back was in fir 4 min come out some dude runs over that suv just hit your vette. i said u get the plate he said no.. I walk over and the guys tail light was embedded in the rear of it lol.. for some reason i didnt have uninsured motorist on my ins which didnt meat the 250 deduct i had on comp lol.. So the threw it under there instead of comp lol...:thepan:

thebigjimsho
03-06-09, 01:35 AM
I see what you are doing and I don't like it.
:highfive:

Civardi
07-26-09, 10:50 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2526/3760456692_b396e07e93_b.jpg

radix
07-26-09, 11:35 PM
my first v-ding was bad because I should have avoided it - went to the store on one of those crazy windy spring days.... you know, the kind of days when every granny lets that big old door fly like a sharp metal kite ????

some days you gotta take evasive action, luckily the dent removal guy did magic

I have a new one now that is is so sharp and deep I can't figure out how they did it - unless they make a car that has a pick axe sticking out of the door..

liqidvenom
07-27-09, 12:25 AM
ive been in my car and had to back up to avoid someone letting their door swing wide

liqidvenom
07-27-09, 12:26 AM

lol :want:

c4ss
07-27-09, 12:43 AM
UNREAL :eek: Look at all those unused spots that are close!

thebigjimsho
07-27-09, 02:30 AM
It's your own damn fault for not using the end space and snugging up against the curb. Then, the only way you get a ding is by someone blatantly attacking your V...

liqidvenom
07-27-09, 02:45 AM
i just take up two spaces when ever i go to the store to ensure other people dont park near me.

thebigjimsho
07-27-09, 02:52 AM
i just take up two spaces when ever i go to the store to ensure other people dont park near me.
As long as it's far enough away to not make it a burden for others...

shadybx7
07-27-09, 12:26 PM
i think he was aiming to stay in the shade.. i allways try and use end spots when available..

c4ss
07-27-09, 01:05 PM

I've heard horror stories about the "diagonal park". I will never park that way.

ptrapasso
07-27-09, 01:33 PM
i think he was aiming to stay in the shade.. i allways try and use end spots when available..

+1 on the shade thought. Although that person could have pulled through that spot to the one in front of it, and still been in the shade without having to spoon with your V.

calidave
07-27-09, 01:36 PM
Granted, I didn't park as far away as I could have.. but the parking lot was pretty damn empty!

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z216/sigsegv11/Car/IMAG0086.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z216/sigsegv11/Car/IMAG0087.jpg

thebigjimsho
07-27-09, 01:49 PM
Granted, I didn't park as far away as I could have.. but the parking lot was pretty damn empty!

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z216/sigsegv11/Car/IMAG0086.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z216/sigsegv11/Car/IMAG0087.jpg
Ummm, you pickin' up some Massengills?

calidave
07-27-09, 02:21 PM
Ummm, you pickin' up some Massengills?

Hah, no. I just stopped in to pick up some soda and water. It's the closest place to my house.

liqidvenom
07-27-09, 02:33 PM
As long as it's far enough away to not make it a burden for others...

i try to find an empty part of the lot and i park in the last two spots

Albertan
07-27-09, 02:59 PM
Right now I'm visiting Vegas. I have my own parking spot in TI. No one parks within 150 ft of where I park. Same with MGM although my wife complains about the walk. At our condo, I park next to a concrete island. Last night I got a giant Dodge industrial van next to me. I ran out to see he was at least 4 ft away from me but only a foot away from the BMW next door.
I'm planning to get some flexible magnetic strips and glue on 1" thick foam. I'll stick these to the doors when I park. That should provide some degree of safety.

Civardi
07-27-09, 03:06 PM
I hate parking next to the curb on an end space. To big of a pain to get in and out.

StewV
07-27-09, 04:14 PM
lol :want:

i've just come to the obvious conclusion that people are like effin cattle.
their minds just uniformly line up for slaughter. i had a grand national that
was flawless...long story short, i parked it about 60 yrds away from any one
deep in the back prkn lot at my gym...a lady in a pos caravan pulls up next to it, just like liquids picture, and opens her door and boom...needless to say
i had to exact revenge, so i went out to my car and opned my door to sheild any line of view and procceeded to cave in the whole side of her sh*tbox
with a plethora of mule kicks to her now totaled caravan.

i felt 100% better. :thumbsup:

ahahnu
07-27-09, 04:31 PM
I work in a mall.... Yeah, Christmas time is the worst. Thank God for no shopping carts but rich folks driving their cars like king of the roads gets old quick. There is no such thing as speed limit, right of way, or stop signs. I've learned to take my time, creep around, and just keep an eye out. I've had way too many people just back out, or dart out of their parking spaces, let alone cut me off or not even stop when I don't have a stop sign.

I found my parking spot in a parking garage, up a few levels from the chaos. I have only one other spot next to me on one side, with painted lines and pillars holding up the parking garage on the other. My watchmaker usually parks next to me, so no worries, although I do park over the lines in case some other idiot takes up the spot.

THe guy with the picture in the shade with the Ford Ranger next to him.... If you look a little to the left in the picture, that's the row you want to be in. NEVER in the row that goes straight to the front door. Always a different row. People will park in every spot in that row, but not in other rows. Part of the calculation that was laft out....

Civardi
07-27-09, 06:39 PM
If you look a little to the left in the picture, that's the row you want to be in. NEVER in the row that goes straight to the front door. Always a different row. People will park in every spot in that row, but not in other rows. Part of the calculation that was laft out....

Good point.

Mystical_Ice
07-28-09, 12:39 AM
Anyone ever take the the walk of shame?---aka--- the action of walking back to your CADILLAC to determine if it is locked or not- no matter how f'n far away you are. I can lock my max from what seems like a mile away. V - 2.5 feet.
Of course rear visibility is terrible during the day and downright impossible at night...so I always validate the backup scenario and have a plan before I park. I aso check nearby cars to make sure they wouldn't hit my car within 5 seconds while backing up. Preferably, this is a perfectly flat spot, to avoid e-brake insanity. I too utilize the islands whenever possible.

When some fool has unnecessarily boxed me in, I always conduct the 4 star ding check....if there's a dent that wasn't there the last time I checked (5 minutes ago), and your car's color matches the crime scene, I'll analyze the swing arc for a contact location match... If within 1/2 inch--you win the prize beeyatch!!!

this whole post made me laugh. lol.

and i thought i was the only person that had to walk within 15 feet of the car before i can lock/unlock it. so humiliating. the 2008s and onward must have a different system, because those work a mile away!

Albertan
07-28-09, 04:17 AM
Believe it or not, to extend the range of the unlocking FOB, hold it against the underside of your chin then push the button. It will unlock from about 50 ft or more! I can't claim this trick as my own, I read this before in another post quite awhile ago.

Slithering_Joe
07-28-09, 09:55 AM
Believe it or not, to extend the range of the unlocking FOB, hold it against the underside of your chin then push the button. It will unlock from about 50 ft or more! I can't claim this trick as my own, I read this before in another post quite awhile ago.

Ha!! I've been doing this for years to get the extra distance. It works on all vehicle remotes. We'll see what the RF has done to my jaw bone when I'm 80 years old!!!

liqidvenom
07-28-09, 11:07 AM
this whole post made me laugh. lol.

and i thought i was the only person that had to walk within 15 feet of the car before i can lock/unlock it. so humiliating. the 2008s and onward must have a different system, because those work a mile away!

yeah i had a 09 escalade as a loaner and it worked from like 1/3 mile away.... my v i do the return walk back to it all the time from 10ft out to ensure it locks.

someone needs to make us an extended key fob as the nex big mod....our key fobs suck the big one.

TKSFab
07-28-09, 11:19 AM
haha i do the same ^ if i go to a movie, the whole beginin half im going over my process for getting out and walking away to insure i locked it. sometimes i'll run out there to "drop of my sunglasses"

haha.

I park in the biggest spots i can find, next to the nicest cars i can. i figure someone driving a m5 will take the time to not damage mine or their cars. If that fails, a litttle exercise never hurts. :) My problem is at my condo, the spot is directly in front of my house, but my neighbors have spots right next to me, one is from sonora mexico and the other is about 8 indian's from india. Both suck at driving and have no care for my stuff. One of them hit my truck so hard with their door, it set the alarm off.

LostHwyV
07-28-09, 11:30 AM
At work I use the island in the back of the lot. There is also someone with an Escalade that will park next to me or vice versa depending on who gets there first. I consider it common caddy courtesy. My gf understands 100% that she will have to walk some distance to stores, etc. And, if there is a valet for a resteraunt or some other place we try and bring her car. Parking lots are tricky, and with all the pot holes, gravel, stones, etc here in North Jersey the front of the V gets pretty beat up just driving around town.
All we can do is try my friends.
:peeking:

Mystical_Ice
07-28-09, 12:28 PM
Ha!! I've been doing this for years to get the extra distance. It works on all vehicle remotes. We'll see what the RF has done to my jaw bone when I'm 80 years old!!!

yeah that's true, but the only thing worse than having to walk to within 20ft of the car to set the alarm, is standing at 50ft away with the remote under your chin trying to set it...

ahahnu
07-28-09, 01:47 PM
Today, my fob didn't work standing next to the car. I had to use the key, and not the first time either. I used to chin trick with my veedubs but couldn't get a response out of the V with it.

Slithering_Joe
07-28-09, 03:16 PM
Today, my fob didn't work standing next to the car. I had to use the key, and not the first time either. I used to chin trick with my veedubs but couldn't get a response out of the V with it.

remote's battery = dead

ahahnu
07-28-09, 05:58 PM
remote's battery = dead You would think, but I've been in and out of the car 5 times today other then that with no problems.:suspect:

Mystical_Ice
07-28-09, 08:19 PM
that happens occasionally. tap the fob hard against something. or take it apart and put it back together. that usually does the trick.

Jon
07-28-09, 08:45 PM
Parked my Explorer at my friend's place last week. Right up next to a wall and left TONS of room on the other side. When I got back some ******* had taken advantage of all the space I left and parked right on the line. So I opened my rear door (a nice sharp edge) and went to town on his door.

liqidvenom
07-28-09, 11:07 PM
and once again.... this time i had the last spot in the entire parking lot and even parking skewed to the right....

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs179.snc1/6728_532517683680_54903377_31443133_3038773_n.jpg

rhino198073
07-29-09, 11:08 AM
I may be the only one but if I see someone trying to park on the far side of a parking spot b/c they care about their vehicle I will occasionally park in the spot next to them giving a wide berth (if the lot is full) so that some a-hole doesnt park next to them instead of me. This does a few things...
1. They know I wont ding them since even my company vehicle is immaculately clean.
2. I know they wont ding up my vehicle in return.

flame away!

lowriderjohn
07-29-09, 12:24 PM
My focus is pretty badly beat up but I still won't park near anyone. Oddly enough, I almost never have anyone park next to me. Probably because it isn't a nice car.

Slithering_Joe
07-29-09, 02:19 PM
If every car only had Lambo doors.

TKSFab
07-30-09, 08:35 PM
those suck getting out of.

especially a murc.

stupid too low to the ground cars.

:)

thebigjimsho
07-31-09, 06:54 PM
If every car only had Lambo doors.
Then we'd all be banned...

Slithering_Joe
08-01-09, 08:43 AM
Then we'd all be banned...
True.

ahahnu
08-01-09, 09:23 AM
But Urby's not here...

thebigjimsho
08-01-09, 12:57 PM
But Urby's not here...
I believe Tony has picked up the torch for our fallen urb in that regard...

ahahnu
08-01-09, 02:50 PM
Agreed, but no offense to Tony, I don't think his "vacation button" finger is as active.