: Changing display units Metric - US imperial

Dcarlson
03-02-09, 09:27 PM
Is it possible to change the display units on my Canadian Cadillac? I'd rather have mpg then litres/100km. Dispite being Canadian. The owners manual mentions nothing about changing them so i assume its not possible? Prove me wrong please?

drmenard
03-02-09, 10:40 PM
You did not say what car this is... but in your profile you have 1982 cadillac.. so if you have a 82 with a 4100 and your talking about your mpg readout.. I can only give you my guess... the read outs are controlled by the ECM and are in the program on the chip... I would try to find a used ECM from the usa and try that.. you could change the ECM or the chip... I would change the ECM, that way you won't screw up the prongs changing it... I don't know what you have for a speedometer ... but the us cars had both printed on them .. but the miles is bigger...I just an took a look at my junk... I found a old ecm with a service number 1224840..check the sticker on yours..

Dcarlson
03-02-09, 10:54 PM
Whoops. My bad. Yes, it's an 82 fleetwood. It's a Canadian car, KM are the big letters on the speedo. I don't think it's worth the trouble of swapping out the ECM to change the milage settings though. It's weird. I remember my grandfather had the climate controll in in Degree's F at one point... I got it to read degree F for a brief moment, but it went back to C. I don't know if my computer is glitchin out or what..

jayoldschool
03-03-09, 09:44 AM
Interestingly, the Canadian 1981s have KM speedos, and the MPG in imperial...

Dcarlson
03-03-09, 07:19 PM
Mine doesn't. It's in KM/L.

jayoldschool
03-03-09, 08:57 PM
Yes, because yours is an 82.

So, I wonder if it is just a swap of the display for the US one, or if the data is dependent on the ECM? If they have one at the junkyard, I'll grab you one to try. I'm in FL in two weeks, and they have a nice pullapart...

Dcarlson
03-08-09, 12:48 PM
I'd imagine it's in the ECM but there's only one way to find out... Haha.

brougham_geezer
03-08-09, 02:55 PM
How about keeping it simple? Try one of these handy-dandy reminder stickers! Always classy! Easy installation! Your metric< -> imperial conversions made easy.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g274/brougham_geezer/DSC06139.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g274/brougham_geezer/DSC06135.jpg

No need to thank me! It's what I do. :hide:

Dcarlson
03-08-09, 08:53 PM
Smartass. Haha. you made me laugh.

Cadillacboy
03-13-09, 06:23 PM
Very brill one :D

creeker
03-13-09, 09:53 PM
Is it possible to change the display units on my Canadian Cadillac? I'd rather have mpg then litres/100km. Dispite being Canadian. The owners manual mentions nothing about changing them so i assume its not possible? Prove me wrong please?

F.Y.I.,there's no such thing as U.S. imperial,

- U.S is U.S. as in U.S. gallon
- imperial is imperial as in imperial gallon (canadian)